Hey folks.

Been having heat and grasshopper issues here so I built some little shadehouse's using shadecloth, some random wire I had lying around and nylon.

The idea of the smaller shade hats is to be able to plant really young seedlings straight into the ground and just keep the heat off them a bit while they get established. Its also protects from any plant eating pests that like to knock them off.

Tools I used

Wire (from anywhere)

Shadecloth 15% (the lightest gauge available)

Long lasting string (hutchie chord)

Multitool covered most things

Needle i made from the wire . Used sandpaper and a file to refine it.

The HD wire needed HD pliers and a hacksaw to cut and bent it. A vice would have been handy.

This is my first attempt at it so they're rough but functional. If you want to make them more symmetrical and prettier and your doing a few of them it would be worth making a jig so everything is spot on.

So there u go not much to it but I thought id share it :D

Cheers Riv

post-45427-0-40023900-1349564600_thumb.jpg

post-45427-0-18330000-1349564902_thumb.jpg

post-45427-0-63239900-1349565174_thumb.jpg

post-45427-0-76493900-1349565223_thumb.jpg

Edited by -RiverRat-

yes you are a very creative litll' rat arent you ... they are great :D

ive always been wary of using shadecloth for the fear of seedlings streching too much ?

what you say?

:peace:

Cheers mate. I see where your coming from mate with the association of "less light equals stretch".

Up here in the north the days are full sun and up to 36c so seedlings will only fry without it as will the pots and soil temps causing "stretch" and stress in its own way .

I'm guessing down south may be different story if your light situation is already compromised though given full sun wouldn't be a drama The shadecloth used here is 15% only so just enough to cool the situation a little really and still lets plenty of breeze through allowing for good early structure.

So given good outdoor lighting conditions I don't think it will cause them to stretch.

As with any outdoor seedlings you want to make sure they get full sun morning, noon and afternoon for best structural formation and one of the challenges arising with that can be keeping the heat out of the pots since they're so small and quick to absorb heat even on a mild day. The next step with the tub will be to address that by incorporating polystyrene into the sides and some kind of layer over the pots just to get soil temps down to a more stable level. IT'll make allot of diference out here.

There's a rant . thanks ya bastard lol

Riv ;)

Edited by -RiverRat-
  • Upvote 1