do my plants need more nutes?

Looks like your on the right track.

Theres plenty of good advice in there despite what some KNOW IT ALLs would have you beleive.

Growing in coco really isnt that difficult.

Premium coco is good advice ,use a good nutrient and keep your ec and ph in check.

I water once a day in the morning and that works for me, my friend waters 3 times a day, and someone else i know only waters every couple of days.

All these methods work ,so just figure out what works best for you in your climate. connie_waterbonsai.gif

Happy growng.

lots of SHIT advice.

never ever let the coco dry out lol ? .... if a plants healthy drying out the medium will boost metabolism ... its a master gardener's technique ..... its great to let the medium dry out completely bone dry atleast 3 times during bloom ... thus boosting metabolism .... afterwards you can boost the ec .... and the plants will lap it up when done correctly .... DM gold in coco is great but you should not be feeding it DM gold every single feed ..... try water/feed/water/feed and so on ... what you are seeing is a ph problem ... which is thus causing nutritional inadequacies ... just my 2 cents .. but what do i know :)

later'

EDIT -

what you might find buzzo ... is that you will always have to feed em neem every 10 days when you keep your medium soaking wet every single day..... the best way to fuck with a fungus gnat is by drying out the medium ..... the larvae cant survive without moisture ... you should also try baccillus thuriegensis (BT) ..... gnat off has it .... as do other products .... gnat off isnt expensive if you ever sat a class of biology ..... its a bacteria, you only need one bottle and can grow it continually (as a culture - duh) ...

Yeah, unfortunately I gotta agree with Indoo here, lettin coco dry out is a good thing. I have left em till the plants wilt and the pots were feather light, they bounce straight back after a feed an just power on again. You'll get more problems by coco being too wet, than too dry, like lack of oxygen to the roots and root disease.....and Gnats are attracted to wet, stinky stuff. lol .

Also flushing with PH adjusted water is fine, I just flush, go smoke bongs for an hour while they drain , then come back and Nute them up with a new mix, get me 10-15% run off and done, easy really.

Imo you want plain water to flush...whats the point of flushing out nutrients/ build up with more nutrients, and also wasting nutes...unless ya got a veggie patch.

PH in coco will always rise gradually, so I water at PH 5.5, to allow for this, you dont need fancy meters or test strips and shit. One drop test kit, they simple, fairly accurate, and work every time. You could buy an EC meter, but I find watching the plants to be more beneficial to see what they want.

Burnt tips.....over nuting.......easy, so knock it back a bit.

It's going to take you awhile to get used to it, just take ya time, trust your OWN judgement based on fact and knowledge from reading, and go for it.

If ya gonna use the products with Baccillus Thuriegensis, make sure its Baccillus Thuriegensis Isrealis............theres a few different types. That is the most effective.

I can't get hold of gnat-off here anymore, may have to order off the net.

Just do ya best man, ya learning, and its not hard, coco is very forgiving as are Cannabis plants........... =)

Peace. Nibbler.

Edited by The Hash Nibbler

Yeah, not to move too far off-topic ... but i have not had to treat my coco/perlite medium with any pesticide's or pest treatments at all... not once ... ..... the whole grow ... I think its crucial that coco medium is let to dry out so as to fuck with their natural breeding cycle ... (the gnats ..) ... either way, if you have any troubles and can't find the material already amongst the vast library of grow info on here ...... which is unlikely, you might just not be looking hard enough .... then there is always one of the crew members here to help out a fellow enthusiast ... i learnt everything i know about canna on this very site ..... (and hands-on experience ..)

peace'

Edited by ind00rcultiv8r
  • Upvote 1

Yes the electronic meters are the way to go, those strips ain't very accurate. I rarely touch the PH unless it's moved too far from the optimum. Those up and down chemicals are very toxic and can easily damage the roots. When I do use it I mix it with two or three litres of water before putting into the reservoir. Learnt that the hard way lol.

Still off topic .... I tried coco in part of my grow to try it out and for the first time ever had gnats. I haven't got access to the treatment I used at the moment so can't be sure of the name but it did say Scarab on the bottle. Anyway it's available from hydro shops. It worked overnight, just a diluted spray on the surface is all that's required as that's where the gnats and there eggs are, just under the surface.. Also at the bottom of the pots where the roots come out through the holes.

I used Growwool and then moved on to clay balls (Hydroton) and never had root problems with either. In my view clay balls are the best medium, never had a problem since switching to it. It did take a couple of grows to sort out the best way to keep the root temperature and watering right. Especially getting the water to flow through the root area when the plants are starting out.

Sorry about the off topic, got carried away a bit lol.

lots of SHIT advice.

never ever let the coco dry out lol ? .... if a plants healthy drying out the medium will boost metabolism ... its a master gardener's technique ..... its great to let the medium dry out completely bone dry atleast 3 times during bloom ... thus boosting metabolism .... afterwards you can boost the ec .... and the plants will lap it up when done correctly .... DM gold in coco is great but you should not be feeding it DM gold every single feed ..... try water/feed/water/feed and so on ... what you are seeing is a ph problem ... which is thus causing nutritional inadequacies ... just my 2 cents .. but what do i know :)

i too have heard to let the top of the medium dry out durring the first weeks of veg, this allows the roots to grow and follow the water down (this come from someone with a degree in horticulture) but then i am told by hydro guys not to, so who knows, swim allowed the coco to dry out almost completely a couple times at the begining, when transporting from 10 and 15l pots to 30l pots the roots looked amazing a brilliant white

Agree with letting coco dry out completely, just watch the Greenhouse Seed Co. vids, pretty sure they know what they're on about: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAF8Fj8odT6vMhSN0rd9AKQ

What is the logic or reasoning behind flushing with weak nutes as opposed to plain pH'd water?

plain PH'd water starves the natural bacteria in the Coco.