Roy Morgan Research poll asks about Cannabis legalisation

Hi Folks,

About a month ago, a friend of mine in Melbourne answered the door to a researcher from Roy Morgan, asking to do a survey with her regarding current political issues and views. She gave him the time as she was interested in what it may ask and to contribute her views.

The very first question asked was do you believe cannabis should be legalised?! There was no mention of just for medical use, just general legalisation. The survey went on to ask the usual questions and opinions on the state of the economy and political issues. From the nature of the questions, my friend was fairly convinced that the survey was commissioned by Labor/Gillard.

She received a phonecall a week or two later to confirm the surveyor had been, and they asked if they reviewer had specifically requested the poll be completed by an 18-25 year old person if available.

My friend took this as a very good sign that labor are considering the real possibility of legalisation, and particulary targeting the 18-25 year old voting public in this regard.

Sounds like some interesting times ahead, and at least some very overdue discussions on this topic.

Cheers,

Morgz

• Upvote 3

Hi Folks,

About a month ago, a friend of mine in Melbourne answered the door to a researcher from Roy Morgan, asking to do a survey with her regarding current political issues and views. She gave him the time as she was interested in what it may ask and to contribute her views.

The very first question asked was do you believe cannabis should be legalised?! There was no mention of just for medical use, just general legalisation. The survey went on to ask the usual questions and opinions on the state of the economy and political issues. From the nature of the questions, my friend was fairly convinced that the survey was commissioned by Labor/Gillard.

She received a phonecall a week or two later to confirm the surveyor had been, and they asked if they reviewer had specifically requested the poll be completed by an 18-25 year old person if available.

My friend took this as a very good sign that labor are considering the real possibility of legalisation, and particulary targeting the 18-25 year old voting public in this regard.

Sounds like some interesting times ahead, and at least some very overdue discussions on this topic.

Cheers,

Morgz

The Morgan poll has been going for years. It is a standard political poll. The question about whether cannabis should be legal has been asked by the Morgan poll every couple of years since 1977 as far as i know.

When political polls are conducted they must get a good cross section of Australian society. This incluedes both male and female from different age groups. The ages from 18-24 are the hardest to get as they are rarely home and often don't want to take part in polls. It is standard proceedure to do a follow up check on some of the people you have surveyed to guarantee that the surveyers are actually doing their job.

I wouldn't expect the Gillard government to do something as controversial as legalizing pot. I also doubt the majority of Australians even want this. It would be political suicide imo.

I didn't see this thread before, but no that I have I'm suspicious about a newcomer who was asking for 18-25 year olds to participate in a survey regarding cannabis.

I get suspicious fairly easily mind you, so there might be thing to it.

Sorry, but have you read this thread?

It wasn't a survey about cannabis. There was one question about this topic. It was a standard political survey done by a reputable social and market research company that has been around for decades. They are asking for that age group as it is hard to get answers from 18-25 year olds. They would have asked the same question to 25-40 year olds, 40-55's, 55-65 and 65 +.

Nothing suspicious. :popcorn: