Lights for veg

Hi guys

I currently have a 1.5 x 1.1 x 0.5m wardrobe with a 400watt ballast which can run either MH or HPS. At the moment I have some 4-5 week old medicine man and afghan seedlings growing under MH.

I plan to take some clones once they get big enough, switch the MH for HPS for flowering and want to have another wardrobe just for the vegetation stage. So 2 wardrobes running simultaneously to keep the cycle going.

I want to keep the power bill and heat as low as possible, so looking at getting either CFL or T5 lights for the vegetation cupboard.

ATM I am looking at either something like this 6400k 2x55w bulb T5 setup on ebay or a growlush 6400k 130w CFL.

Any thoughts or advice? I have been reading round the net for the past few days, there is so much to learn, I've done a few grows outside before and have helped do some indoors but this is my first time doing it on my own, and I haven't grown from clones before.

Thank you =)

Save yaself a heap of dosh mate, 2 x Philips 80W CFLs will light that area easy. Same area as my cupboard, run cool, and can sit em right over em, just hang vertically in light fittings on chains....sweeet....can get em as a globe for 50 bucks or about 80-90 with propper shade and lead etc. Doin a good job on my girls, and heaps of punch.

Peace. Nibbler.

cheers.. yes seems growlush are crap according to many people, shoulda read up before I bought growlush ballast and MH/HPS bulbs. Ahh well.

Is there any reason to use 80watt cfls vs, say, a 10 bulb patio string of lights thing from bunnings with a bunch of 18 watt 6500k cfls? (with maybe a couple of other K bulbs thrown in for variety)

cheers.. yes seems growlush are crap according to many people, shoulda read up before I bought growlush ballast and MH/HPS bulbs. Ahh well.

Is there any reason to use 80watt cfls vs, say, a 10 bulb patio string of lights thing from bunnings with a bunch of 18 watt 6500k cfls? (with maybe a couple of other K bulbs thrown in for variety)

Mine lasted just 6-9 months and pulled enough smoko for the majority of people for a while. Use that time to save up for better equipment and use the GL stuff as backup after that.

You'll do alright :bongon

Save yaself a heap of dosh mate, 2 x Philips 80W CFLs will light that area easy. Same area as my cupboard, run cool, and can sit em right over em, just hang vertically in light fittings on chains....sweeet....can get em as a globe for 50 bucks or about 80-90 with propper shade and lead etc. Doin a good job on my girls, and heaps of punch.

Peace. Nibbler.

hey Nibbsy

would that set up be ok for flowering too? I was going to get a 450w hps or a 250 cfl but if the 2 x 80w's will do the trick & save me money I'll be a happy camper. I would imagine the power bill would be cheaper too but would this be a significant saving?

thanks mate,

sharpie the novice

p.s.

my cupboard is 1.6 x 1.2 x .5

Edited by sharpie