how to stop roo's & walabies

Wont the liver attract Goannas and Dingo's? They wouldn't eat your pot but they might trample it. Even worse the Dingo's might piss on it. Who wants to smoke dog piss. I had a mate in Paramatta whose dog, prick of a thing that it was, used to take pleasure in pissing on his plant. Perhaps he shouldn't have put it next to the shed. Edited by Chong

I used to tie meat bones all around the grow. Encourage digoes to the spot. I ended up with dingoes camping around my plots permanently, and no wallaby ever came near the place again. Whenever we killed another steer to butcher, or at regular intervals through the season at least, I'd tie more fresh bones around the plants, using strong wire.

No herbivor will go within smelling distance of a dingoe camp. I suppose this is going to depend entirely on the wild dog population in your area. We had loads of them, so it wasnt a problem. The plots were a kilometre or so from the house, and in the still nights, we could hear the dogs fighting over the fesh bones on the hillsides. worked wonders.

rob

I bought a bottle of "Poss-Off",it works really well,i planted 28 plants in the scrub last Sunday,went back to check them today,all going really well and un-touched by the native animals.

You can get this stuff at Big W,it is made by a company in W.A by the name os Beatabug. Website is : www.beatabug.com

He has some stuff called "Happy Rose", it is used to get rid of black spot and other rose related diseases and pests.I used this on my roses and they have re-covered within two days of spraying,so i used it on the plants and they REALLY like it.

Hope this is beneficial to other growers.

Cheers.

Why take chances with all these home remedies, they might work but they are not guaranteed. Use a chicken wire fence, the 120cm high chicken wire. Paint it green, use wooden fence paint applied with one of those sponge brushes. Don't trample the vegetation on the outside of the fence when you are putting up the fence or painting it. Some of the bushes outside the fence can be tied against the fence.

Anyone who walks by will notice your plants way before they will see the fence.

There are no kangaroos where I am but there are a lot of wallabies, and they love pot.

In several years of guerrilla growing I have not had a wallaby get through one of these fences, although they are always trying to.

creature of the forest

Never seen a chicken wire fence do the job right yet. Wel, seen some pics of holes done well with chicken wire, but in all the years I've grown outside, i can count on one han d how many plants I've had eaten by wallabies. Had possums eat a couplle down when they were just 4 or 5 feet still, full flower but, so it wasa serious loss.

I've had one spot that used to regularly have a camp of eastern grey kangarros, or they might have been prtty face wallabies right on the patch, and never touched a single leaf. Had cattle take the odd bite, but they don't go fr it either really.

it always strikes me odd that some have problems with wallabies, while as Isiaid I never have, and other growers I've known personally,l and met here also agree to have never been concerned about them. Like Isiaid, possums will eata plant to the ground in no time.

During the '94 drought I was worried enough food shortage might force them to eat my gear, so I bought a battery operated electric fence. Cylindere type, 4 d size batteries, two clickr speeds. batteries last about a month.

Used plaastic posts, or u can use poly pipe to isolate trees the patch has trees close by in a circle around it.

Make the fence run right to the ground, as in say ust a couple inches rom the bottom, which means u have to be sure no sticks etc have fallen down the hill and horted the fence tot he ground.

Run the wire every 6 inches or so to the top of the posts. make sure they're close because although wallabies and roos can jump really high, they rarely do, they tend to crawl through fences more than jump, but then they will ump too.

Be sure to piss on the ground peg each time u visit, a dry earth peg will make the fence useless.

We measured the output of the battery operated fence, and it had more kick than a 240 volt job, stop bulls in their tracks.best of luck.

One of the biggest problems with chicken wire is people can walk past a patch and not even know they've done it. Put chicken wire around it and no-one's going to be walking past mssing that one.

Forestry workers I know in the areas up nth of brisbane find chicken wire encloures all the time, they stand out like dog'gs nuts to people who work in the bush a lot.

whatever u choose to use, good luck.

rob

well if you paint it green it makes a big difference. Also depends on the surrounding vegetation; if the patch is surrounded by low bushes then they hide it pretty well; if it's sitting out in a clearing and unpainted then sure they can stand out a bit.

I find early in the year when the plants are dark green they blend in ok but at the end of the season when the fan leaves start to yellow they can stand out a mile off.

Sure you can give them heaps of nitrogen right up to the end to keep them dark green but I have found that makes the buds leafier. And trimming is not one of my favourite jobs.

Someone recommended burning the chicken wire in a fire to make it duller, but I know from having my patch go through a bushfire that it burns the galvanising off the wire and a year or so later it starts to rust through.

But anyway, whatever works for you.

Also I grow in an area where other people are always growing, and the wallabies have developed a taste for pot.

creature of the forest

Also I grow in an area where other people are always growing, and the wallabies have developed a taste for pot.

That's pretty shit luck mate, I'd be looking for a new patch.

4 out of our 5 neighbours grow their own and previously all these blocks were occupied by growers for 10+yrs, we have a sizeable wallaby population, but so far they show no interest in our plants ...touch wood!

:bongon: maybe our weed just isn't up to their standard ...damn pot-snob wallabies lol

Hey, it's good to see your still posting Creature :bongon:

lol

`Well that's good that your neighours grow; you don't have to get paranoid wondering if your neighbours have spotted anything and will they dob you in.

You just have to get that remaining neighbour into growing and then you have it all covered.

I suppose too with the wallabies and roos it depends what else is around for them to eat.

If you have a whole paddock of succulent green grass or clover or whatever then that will keep them occupied; where I grow it's pretty harsh, the native vegetation is pretty rough. Lush green pot is a delicacy.

This years outdoor will be True Blueberry from DJ Short, Calizahr from Chimera and Sweet Tooth 1.1 from Spice of Life.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out, especially the True Blueberry, as that one is different from any other plant I have come across. Not your everyday genetics in that one.

Last year was Northern Lights from Sensi Seeds; an ok strain, quite vigorous, quite resiny.

Because of it's vigour it can be planted quite late in the season and it will still grow quite a bit by harvest.

Not as early harvest as one would expect from a Northern Lights; the first year I ran it I had some Skunk which finished about a week and a half earlier.

creature of the forest