Aussie's Outdoor Super Soil Recipe

My pile of dirt:

post-39700-0-40836700-1415156525_thumb.jpg post-39700-0-50377300-1415156589_thumb.jpg

Do you think I might need some more perlite? Only 10L it doesn't look like I have enough.

I have been turning it every day, breaking down lumps, tossing any bits of stick or hard stuff. Covering it up to prevent rain. It's still pretty wet stuff even though I haven't watered it.

Yea the bits of wood were from the potting mix. I guess it wasn't the best stuff to use. I don't get any dripping when I squeeze. It's kinda firm though. I honestly haven't given it much full sun exposure because I havn't been home and I don't want birds or my dog getting into it so I've had it covered up. The weather has been pretty cold overnight and damp in the mornings so there's only so much I can do.

If you are doing autos maybe you might want to improve the drainage a bit, either more perlite or if you can get your hands on zeolite it is much better. Zeolite can store nutrients and release it to the roots more readily than the soil itself.

Edit: It is actually more to do with aeration of the soil and the ability of the roots to easily push through the soil for fast development than it is for drainage. Having said that, you don't want a mix which stays soggy.

Edited by wannagrowbuds

Clay balls will just give you less medium in your container and perch you water table, it does nothing to increase drainage. I did this for a grow until i learnt its a myth and would not do it again.

If you want to increase drainage and create more air then mix more perlite in with the growing medium.

• Upvote 1

Small update. I added more perlite to the mix and it's really light and almost fluffy now. I got more worm castings off a mate who doused it in the tea so it's going to be some kind of mega casting mix.

Been doing more research on Auto's and I've decided that I will more than likely grow 3 in small pots. I was going for 440mm pots but I will go 250mm since root bounding auto's isn't that big of a concern. I'm also thinking of staggering the 3 plants a week apart so I have time to make adjustments to plant 2 and 3 if I need to. For example if my mix is too hot. This would also make harvesting a tad easier as I'd have a week each to process a plant at a time (limited drying area.)

I was going to have a 4th non-auto plant but I don't think I could handle it at the moment. I will surely regret it come the end of the season when I will be lucky to get 3 Oz from the Auto's.

Edited by gramin