Paralel Circuiting fluros

LuvBuds

Hi,

I recently purchased 4x 48w compact fluros for my fluro grow making a total of 5x48w.

I am planning on wiring them tegother using paralell circuiting only i have a few questions for u Fluro professionals. I will ask all the questions i have regardin fluros here so save clutter in the forum.

1)If i have 5 to connect and one being the power do i simply just connect the first to the second the second to the third the third to the forth and the forth to the fifth. Do i connect the fifth one back to the first or not. cause i though the circuit had to be closed and if the last light isnt connected back to its origin being the power wont it be a bit dangerous or someting.

I HOPE U GUYS KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

2)I want to wire two switches to the fluros so i can switch from just one 48w light being on to all five being on. Is this possible and how do i do so. If your wondering why its because the cabinet i use is for dual purposes at the moment im using it to fully veg some mothers. And at times i use it for cuttings or seedlings thats why i like just 50w on cuttings.

3) I accidently bough two with the screw in cap and they are different looking inside is it the same theroy. (like just attach the two yellow wires to the next im guessing it is) and didnt bother taking them back as i figured only one is actually powed the rest are pwered by the parallel circuit.

4) As i understand the lights are more effective when mounted horizontally do i still need to make a aluminum can reflector for each even though they sit at the top of the cabinet which is covered in Panda Film. IT MIGHT MELT THE FILM IF TOO CLOSE HEY.

Cheers guys try answer all questions if u could so i can get home and start wiring the bitch up.

PEACE

get a power board an lamp sockets which have a switch on them. I buy cheapo $5 lamps and bust them up to get the sockets. Anyway plug em all into your power board and you can turn each one on and off individually from the lamp holder if you so desire.

Yes they will work better with a reflector I suppose. Yes you are right trying to make one out of panda film or any other flammable material is a really bad idea. Personally I don't think reflectors for fluoros are too critical. They usually in a small space anyway and only for mother and clones so as long as all surfaces are white it should be good enough.

If i have 5 to connect and one being the power do i simply just connect the first to the second the second to the third the third to the forth and the forth to the fifth

Connecting in parallel means connecting both the neutral and active cable to each light in turn and keeping the same voltage in the circuit.

Do i connect the fifth one back to the first or not.

No, you are confusing "parallel" and "series" circuits

i though the circuit had to be closed

It is, as soon as you switch them on, the light is a part of the circuit

I want to wire two switches to the fluros so i can switch from just one 48w light being on to all five being on. Is this possible and how do i do so. If your wondering why its because the cabinet i use is for dual purposes at the moment im using it to fully veg some mothers. And at times i use it for cuttings or seedlings thats why i like just 50w on cuttings.

Pipeman gave you one easy way to do this is

get a power board an lamp sockets which have a switch on them.
or use two power boards and plug four of your lights into one and that power board and remaining light into the other and then plug that one into the power point or timer. When you want only one light just turn off or unplug the board with the four lights in it. This has the added advantage that you won't get busted for illegal wiring too.