im ganna import my 250hps bulb from america and save something like $30 but on the auction it says the bulb needs to match a S50 ballast wtf? i wouldnt have a clue what this S50 stands for heres a couple of links to the bulbs im interested in

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...egory=3201&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...gory=42225&rd=1

it says they dont ship to australia but ive twisted there arms :rolleyes: so can anyone explane this?

Guest weekprik

s50 is the ansi designation,

I personally reakon it will work out MORE expensive, you can get most bulbs for around 50 bucks here,

Also the voltages are different from USA to here, we have 240v and i th9ink theres is like 100v or something,

Anyways tell us how much you want to pay for a bulb, and what sort of gear you already have.

weekprik ive rang a few shops they are all around the $70 mark.... iv just brought a 250hps control box from www.accenthydroponics.com

yes we have different volts to america 240-110v's but im not running an american ballast set to 110v! im running a ballast on 240v and im importing a bulb the bulb shouldnt matter cause the power is transformed once it goes thru the control box so weather a light is being ran here in australia or on the other side of the world once the power goes thru the control box it is all converted to the same power before it gets to the bulb!

ok say if your still lost....... what about a multi tap ballast does that only work with special bulbs in each country? if thats the case wouldnt we have something like 1 specific bulb per county? :rolleyes:

Guest weekprik

ok cool, so you have tried putting a 110v bulb in to a 240v ballast and its worked ok?

sorry to sound arrogant :rolleyes: Im fairly new to indoors,

Can you explain the multi tap thing, what is this? All I know is mine are JBL which is spose to be different than normal somehow.

Oh any takers on the S50 thing??

It wouldn't suprise me if the bulbs did work, but,............

I'm pretty sure that the mucking around / time / and possible risk of the thing breaking or not working would not out weigh buying a bulb within Aust.

BUT .........

I had a look at the link you posted. If you can get the bulb for less than $10, then ship it over here - why not give it a go - it will only cost you ....... maybe $30, and if it works, it could save $30.

My self, I'd just take it up the arse and buy it local.

i looked on www.1000bulbs.com and i found this on a 175mh

Description: MH175/U/CL/MOG Sylvania Brand

175 Watts, BT-28 Sylvania Brand Metal Halide, E39 Mogul Base, Length 8.31", Diameter 3.50", Kelvin 4200, CRI 65, ANSI M57/E, Universal Burn Position, Average Life Hours 7,500, Approximate Initial Lumens 12,800, Approximate Mean Lumens 9,300, Case Quantity 6, Price Is Per Each Bulb, No Minimum Order.

now notice the ANSI M57/E i have a 175mh i brought here in oz and it has the M57 printed on the blub same bulb i should be fine.....

and the multi tap ballast means it can be run on 120/208/240/277 volts so in other words one of these multi tap ballast can be used anywhere in the world just by switching the wires over to suit the volts in the country it is being used in

weekprik ive rang a few shops they are all around the $70 mark.... iv just brought a 250hps control box from www.accenthydroponics.com

yes we have different volts to america 240-110v's but im not running an american ballast set to 110v! im running a ballast on 240v and im importing a bulb the bulb shouldnt matter cause the power is transformed once it goes thru the control box so weather a light is being ran here in australia or on the other side of the world once the power goes thru the control box it is all converted to the same power before it gets to the bulb!

ok say if your still lost....... what about a multi tap ballast does that only work with special bulbs in each country? if thats the case wouldnt we have something like 1 specific bulb per county?  :wacko:

i'm pretty sure they are actually different voltage globes,i had alot of trouble when i first started ,got some 1000w metal halides from work, turns out there are european & us standard ballasts/globes & they're not interchangable.why not try an electrical wholesaler,got my 1000w lucagrows for $120 & control gear for $150(notin a box thoughj),was cheaper than my local hydroshops

US and european ballast are different and the european ballast are alot cheaper ive had a 1000hps before those bulbs cannot be run on a US ballast :wacko: but like ive said my 175mh has the same code on the bulb as the americans do @ www.1000bulbs.com and its working fine on 240v ive already placed a bid on the bulb stay tuned ill let u all know if it works in a couple of weeks