Tricot seedling question

tricot... I gather you don't mean a French vest? It's not a botanical term, but a mis-description you'll see occasionally in cannabis forums.

Cannabis plants are dicotyledon plants regardless of how many seed leaves emerge at germination. This is because 'monocot' and 'dicot' are classes that distinguish plants on the basis of their seed structure. When cannabis seeds germinate and present 3 cotyledon leaves, rather than 2, the condition is an abnormality of leaf presentation, it does not change the underlying seed structure.

The condition is appropriately called a whorled phyllotaxy (phyllotaxy being the classification of the arrangement of leaves along a plant's stems).

The whorl is a variation of the usual opposite phyllotaxy seen in young cannabis plants. These plants require no special treatment and usually grow out of the condition by maturity when the leaf arrangement normally changes from opposite to alternate phyllotaxy. Sometimes the whorl will persist past preflower, sometimes it will persist in a single branch while the rest of the plant changes over to the alternate pattern.

Personally I think they are special plants... I like things that are a bit different, but they don't flower any differently to plants with the regular leaf arrangement. If you find a lot of them, eg you crack 20 seed and get 5 whorled, chances are the seed has spent a few generations in a very small gene pool.

edit - Sorry, first post hey? Welcome to the forum Burning Man.

Edited by louise
  • Upvote 3

wow, thanks for the really detailed reply! And thanks for the welcome. :)

Thats really interesting about it being an abnormality of leaf presentation. especially that just one branch can exhibit it. How does that work? Wouldnt the trait be genetic? But if that is so, then should the entire plant show the trait?

Good to know that while its special, it does require any different treatment and wont change how it flowers.

i had a quick indica female this year that seed'd down the bottem only of all buds , found a couple in the top bits not many , some the seeds that have come up around the jiont have cum up with 3 them colyledn leaves comeing out , looking forward to see how one grows out

post-40169-0-32705900-1334747105_thumb.jpg

so what you say about a plant kept low will do it , this qi x nyld was tipped as soon as the tips were out anoth to tip just about weekly all the way till first white hairs then let go , so i hit it very hard all veg , an i got about 400 seeds allready had 3 a them 3 er's come up out of about 10 / 14 that have popd up in the pots

post-40169-0-15096100-1334747536_thumb.jpg thats her

Edited by smashed1

so what you say about a plant kept low will do it , this qi x nyld was tipped as soon as the tips were out anoth to tip just about weekly all the way till first white hairs then let go , so i hit it very hard all veg , an i got about 400 seeds allready had 3 a them 3 er's come up out of about 10 / 14 that have popd up in the pots

No sure I know what you mean Smashed... are you asking if what you do to the plant whilst it was growing cause the abnormality to occur in the next generation? If that's what you mean, the answer is no. Physical treatment of the parent plant doesn't influence the expression of traits in the offspring.

I've had a few seedlings with three leaves over time. As yet, none of them have turned out to look any different to normal seedlings. Seems the trait didn't carry on into the mature characteristics of the plant at all.

My understanding of what Smashed1 is saying is that he had a high number of three-leafed seedlings from the particular cross he's growing. Is that right?