Carbon Filters and Fans....are yours in good order?....

Heya Guys , well Summer is goin Bye -bye's and most are getting ready for their new grow....Woot Woot! But when was the last time ya ripped the duct off and had a good look at the fans internals and the carbon filters condition?

Dust and Debri is a major contributor to electrical fires, once it builds up it blocks airflow and can cause over heating.

post-38794-0-91579500-1333975959_thumb.jpg

Here's a shot of mine, was mounted in roof and the inlet from manhole in room, 200mm Centri, 250x500mm carbon Filter, so shouldn't be a lot of dust and stuff eh?

Well Guess again...............6 months use after clean....... and this is what I found...

As you can see on the carbon filter, the panels are choked with dust etc....

post-38794-0-41471300-1333974868_thumb.jpg

Here's a shot after vacuumed half of what you can, see....choking the filter it was...

post-38794-0-56191000-1333975218_thumb.jpg

Fan wasn't much better.........

post-38794-0-59771500-1333975449_thumb.jpg post-38794-0-30607900-1333975560_thumb.jpg

After a good clean and re-set up it's all schmicko and ready to go......Lubbly.....

post-38794-0-17376900-1333975844_thumb.jpg

Now I'm not sayin go into a panic and rip out all ya fans and filters and shit, but if ya room don't seem to be venting right and temps are rising slightly, this may be ya problem. But for the cost of a roll of Ali tape, and use of a good powerful vacuum or air compressor for half an hour, you could save yourself a big bill.

Wether you push thru the filter , or pull through it, the filter must be free of dust and debri to work efficiently and lessen load on your fan.

Just a reminder for those, like me are stoned most of the time and forget stuff.......sometimes...... lol

Clean , well maintained equipment lasts.........poorly maintained and neglected equipment can be a lot of trouble, especially when it hides the smell of ya grow. Stealth is only as good as you make it.

Stay safe and Grow well. Nibbler

Edited by The Hash Nibbler

Wether you push thru the filter , or pull through it

I'm not aware of any Carbon filters designed for air to be pushed through them.

Any decent carbon filter comes with a sleeve to catch any dust or debris so it doesn't get dragged into the active carbon in the first place.

If they do get dusty, they just need to have a quick smack around outside or a quick vacuum.

And how did you get so much dust in the first instance? Are you growing in a garage :blink:

Cyclone -

heya Cyclone, you can pull air thru a carbon filter, or you push thru them. I have been Pushin air through a 250x500mm Carbon filter with a 200mm centri for a year, without a single hint of a growroom smell, and smashin back joints in there too.

It may not be as efficient , but it works well. When you push thru the filter, the sleeve wont work, will it mate........hence the dust......

And where my carbon filter is mounted, I'm not lifting that prick up to slide a filter off and clean it, they work fine and last without them if you just regularly vacuum the outside with fan switched off, takes 5 minutes tops. Theres another filter cover on good ones just inside the mesh anyway.

And the dust comes from the air, where I live............ it's a friggin sand pit. It's Like Hoth....... lol ....... Peace. Nibbler.

Edited by The Hash Nibbler