BUBBLERs ?

FUKN_BISH

Hi OZ stoners & general visitors,

I was scanning thru the FAQ at OVERGROW.com i found these very useful articles by train1 & highgrade.

Those articles inspired me to GROW & STOP paying DEALERs for shitty little GRAMs, Quaters, Half Ounces etc. I'v decided to follow the same plans on train1 & highgrade's articles but scale it down so it's a TWO BUBBLER setup.

My SETUP has to be quite, light-proof & supply me all year round.

Im completly new to all this INDOOR GROWING & would appreciate if ANYONE could help me with a few QUESTIONs

I'v read on OVERGROW that MH bulbs are better for VEGETATION growth and HPS bulbs are good for FLOWERING. Is their a conversion or universal bulb holder thing ? What kind of lighting should to get a high yield & how many watts ?

Would the plant die if i had to move the netpots from one bucket to a bigger bucket ? e.g. In OUTDOOR growing your suppose to transplant when the sun sets so the roots dont get shocked. I read that somewhere in the past and was wondering what you guys think ?

~ thanks everyone

You will find a fair bit of information on DWC (bubblers, Deep Water Culture) growing here in the hydro forum, you will also find a link in my signature that will explain a little about HID lights.

Also links to other grow sites are not appreciated and could result in posts being removed.

Is there a conversion or universal bulb holder thing?
Yes, you can get switchable ballasts so you can use MH for veg and HPS for flowering. I'd just invest in a 400 or 600w (depending on your grow space, ventilation etc) HPS and use a son-t plus globe. It has a blue spectrum to it that other globes don't. I wouldn't bother with switchable ballast; it's not really necessary.
What kind of lighting should to get a high yield & how many watts?
It's not just the lighting, but your whole grow environment. Temperature, ventilation, nutrients, Ph levels etc all factor into it. It's impossible to give an estimate, but HPS lighting is the way to go anyway. And the wattage depends on your grow space size really. The suggested optimum is 50w per sq ft. Are you growing in a confined space, like a wardrobe, or in a larger space, like a room? For a wardrobe grow I wouldn't go above a 400w unless you got a really fat ventilation system :( Even then I probably wouldn't. A room grow, you could go 1000w or more. Depends how greedy you are ::D: But I can't stress enough how important it is to get your ventilation right. Your intake/exhaust set-up needs to be good, and make sure you're getting fresh air in, and exhausting the old stuff outside. Not in the same room :(
Would the plant die if i had to move the netpots from one bucket to a bigger bucket? e.g. In OUTDOOR growing your suppose to transplant when the sun sets so the roots don’t get shocked. I read that somewhere in the past and was wondering what you guys think?
No. It shouldn't even really get shocked, not if you're just moving it straight from one pot to another. And as for transplanting when the sun sets in outdoors growing, I think it's more so to lessen the shock and give the plant that dark period to recover a little, rather than do it first thing in the morning and have the plant cope with the stress in the heat of the day. You will still have a certain amount of shock, whatever time you do it at.

And I've found DWC one of the easiest form of hydroponics, so have fun! :D

Thanks for your opinion chev81,

I realised in my first post i didnt explain circumstances properly :D .

My NEW YEARs Resolution:

GROW & STOP paying DEALERs for shitty little Grams, Quaters, Half Ounces etc

Soo i planned to design and construct a STEALTH CLOSET that will supply me and my best friend all year round. I'v decided to use TWO bubbler buckets and artificial lighting.

chev81 you asked:

Are you growing in a confined space ?

Im planning to construct a STEALTH CLOSET but I don't know how big it should be (width, height, length). How many WATTs would i need to get a half decent yield from bag seeds and what kind of space would u recommend for that WATTAGE ? I'v decided to purchase the lights first b'coz it will be the biggest thing in the STEALTH CLOSET. After i purchase the lighting i will know how much room their is for the plant to grow. I will take other FACTORS (Temperature, ventilation, nutrients, Ph levels etc.) into consideration after i got my plans drawn up and my stealth closet is constructed.I don't want to construct a new stealth closet everytime i grow, so my stealth closet has to be prepared for the future (to suit all strains).

use a son-t plus globe. It has a blue spectrum

Thanks for that chev81, I was wondering if they sold son-t plus kits (ballast, globe & reflectors) ?

~ FUKN_BISH

Hey FUKN_BISH, It all depends on what space you have available. You can't beat a good cupboard/wardrobe grow. I'd recommend it, whatever size you can fit. But constructing your own wouldn't be very hard, with the right materials. I've only made a couple of grow/clone boxes myself. And altered the wardrobe I was using too, so I'm hoping some of the more experienced members might like to jump in and help you out :(

Thanks for that chev81, I was wondering if they sold son-t plus kits (ballast, globe & reflectors) ?
I'd imagine so, check out some of your local hydro stores.

Have fun doing it, I did!! :D

heres mine made from 12mm MDF from hudsons bunnings was $20 more than hudsons.... :D Dim: 530 deep 600 wide 1230 high i built this chamber based on the 175mh and 150hps = roughly 50 watts psf but we dont sell 150hps remote ballast lights in australia :( so now ive gotta take it up to a 250hps that = about 83 watts psf i aint looking forward to it ive been growing for about 8 years now but not many small chamber grows.... im rooted on the ventilation ive only got 4 x 23 cfm pc fans two in two out :D we will see how it goes ;) total cost for my chamber (wood) $35 one sheet of 1200 x 2400 two sheets of 900 x 600 (all 12mm) if building it your self plan every little detail before u start i orginaly wanted my chamber 1400 high but i would have needed 2 1200 x 2400's so i went with the 1200 high and saves cuts.... use your brain not your pocket

Gaz

p.s that is a shelf u can see and not the bottom of the chamber i made it out of left over scrap my chamber went from 4 foot high to three foot high blocking off my res saved me something like 3 square foot of air volume to exhaust :( means more air movement for the plants see my other pictures in the grow room design section you'll see what im talking about

total cost of my stuff

wood $35 (hudsons)

two small buckets $4 (bunnings)

nutrient holding tank $10 (bunnings)

small air tubing 3 meters $1.50 per meter (aquarium shop)

6 air stones $3 (aquarium shop)

two air deviders/ air speed controllers $5 (aquarium shop)

4 x 80mm computer fans $10.50 like new! delivered from QLD (ebay)

= $72 not bad ;-)

itmes i already had

computer power supply to run the fans @ 12v

light

air pump

water pump to spyhon 2 week old nutrients without taking the lid off and disturbing the plants/roots

box of 1inch screws,tin of black and white paint 3 hinges and a small lock

Gaz