Looking for advice on grow box design :)

Hey everybody! This is my first post here (I'm more of a lurker) and I would like some advice on my adventure of building a successful grow box!

Initially I was thinking of doing the 'stealth pc case' although was not that impressed with some of the results and hear mixed reviews on grows.

I decided to use a larger box that will fit in the wardrobe. The dimensions of said box are 435mm deep, 465mm wide and 1550mm high. I have included a picture to help illustrate. My goal is to have a system that is perpetually harvesting in (x) amount of time. Obviously this would mean a vegetative/cloning area and a flowering area. My intention is to use the top for flowering and the bottom for veg. I intend on using a soil system as apparently it is less forgiving to beginners.

My questions to the community:

a) With the height of the box, what size should the flowing area be vs veg with the limitation of 1.55 metres high? (It's adjustable)

B) How many plants would you reccommend for this size? 4? 2?

c) I will be using 130w CFL lamps both for flowing and veg ( I have a 14000k and a 25000k ) as well as an LED. What do you think of this?

d) With a Carbon Filter - must the exhaust flow into the roof/other room or can it just exit the box get filtered and be fine for the same room?

e) Currently I have two old PC fans that I will use and another small one in their to circulate air. Is this sufficient?

f) SEEDS - Pretty sure can't talk about this on the forums but if someone has advice could they PM me or email? Nimbin isn't far but I fucking hate that place and am relatively certain they will be of the poorest quality.

g) Security - I will be putting two doors on it for the two separate areas obviously wiht a lock. Anything I should know here?

I think that is all for now, hopefully this post isn't too punishing to read and I appreciate any help the community can offer!

-Having some trouble with photo - will get it up somehow

post-22642-0-90490000-1328837814_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tip wilderbud! I'm unable to have a direct access port to the outside air from the room due to security, although the window is always open. I will see what I can do to ensure fresh air circulation. You think two computer fans will do for intake/outake for that size? I may grab a couple more PC fans encase. I'm hoping the carbon filter does its job to nuetralise the odor issues. Will update further once all gear is accounted for and I can put her all together :)

One other question - I purchased the 14000k bulb (130w) CFL and a 25000k one. Any issues with these for veg+flower? I have a square LED as well that I'll mount on the wall of it or something to help.

Thanks for input!

Hi Gidwaa,

Welcome to OS

In a space that size I'd only be looking at 1 plant. You want the maximum area for flower as when you turn 12/12 the growth spurt is huge compared to the growth in veg.

I totally agree with Wilder when it comes to air flow you need fresh air the carbon filter will remove odour but plants take in CO2 and release O2. the carbon filter will not remove the O2 you need fresh air. There was an experiment done years ago. Put a mouse in a sealed vessel when the O2 was used up the mouse died. Put a plant in a sealed vessel when the CO2 was used up the plant died. Put both a mouse and a plant in a sealed vessel and they support each other. Having the same air flowing around and around will eventually kill the plant off.

As for the PC fans, in something small like a PC cabinet they can work, but in something bigger you need bigger fans.

Hope it helps

Merl1n

Hey gidwaa. It all depends on what sort of system you want.

If i were to do and micro grow, I would use the FloraLux 150 HPS. http://www.htgsupply...-FLORALUX-150w-HPS-Mini-Grow-Light.asp. Its got a vented hood so you just hook your extratcion fan upto it.

Hope everything turns out well for you.

td

Totaly agree with merlin. Spend some money on your fans. For air exchange and heat regulation. Its really important to get right.

Mate consider the size of the pot that your plant is in by the time its flowering......minus that off your space......consider the light, fans, ducting at the top that you will have and minus that space off.....there never turns out to be as much as you thought for the plant!!!

For a flower cab that may be as short as you wanna go.......just some things to think about whilst your planning....

Good luck with it all

Anakha

Thanks Anakha! I'm a first time grower and all this input really helps. I may be using a different cab for its stealth qualities (the one in the pic wouldn't fit my shitty robe lol) but when I build it all (this week) I'll post some pictures for everybody to have a gander. I'll also start a grow journal soon as the seeds come in. P.s I'll be growing lowryders most likely.

Thanks everybody!