clipping off bits before plant is ready to harvest

Hi Guys,

I have several plants that are a few weeks into flowering and things are going along fine. However, I need a fairly small amount just after xmas and if I was to make a predicton, I would say these plants will technically be ready to harvest around 5 January.

I was wanting to trim away one of the lower buds around 28 December and leaving the rest of the plant to finish off.

Questions:

1) Is it ok to 'trim' off a couple of early buds without effecting the yield of the plant overall?

2) Where should I cut off the stem? Just below the bud or cut it off at the central stem?

3) Out of interest, does it matter if I trim some leaves off at this stage? It's blocking sun to the buds and a bit of trimming will help things I think. If so, where should I trim the leaves? Leaf and full stem or top of the stem and just cut off leaf matter?

Thanks

You're desperate for a toke aren't ya! lol I'm no expert and I'm sure many others know more but most of your questions are general gardening questions. I'm gonna put my sixpence worth in anyway.

1. Of course it will reduce the yield but by how much really depends on how many buds is "a couple".

2. Not 100% here but I'd take it back to main stem

3. Yes it will matter. The leaves are the life source of any plant, they're the things that capture most of the stuff for the plant photosynthesis nutrient etc. If you remove too many your plant will die. The buds don't need the sun as much as the LEAVES do. But if upper leaves are blocking the sun from the lower leaves try tying branches down/up/sideways a little to allow sun to get thru.

Buy yourself a Chrissy present instead!.

Thats my gardening experience & I learned all of that in yr 12 biology!! How'd I go Stoners?

But do try to leave it alone mate or you'll end up destroying the plant. This I KNOW from personal experience, that's why I'm growing autos this time. I figure if I don't have to wait as long I won't pick too much off it! LMAO I'll grow some 'real' plants once I have enough to see me through.

Thanks for responses guys. Anyone able to confirm justjuli's responses?

Shroomyshroom, I have grown the strain before (last year) and I can pick how far off they are, so don't really need confirmation of how ready they are. It's inevitable that the early buds will not have enough brown hairs and strong trichomes, but they will still have an effect. And as justjuli responded, yes i'm desperate and all avenues I've tried have been pathetic. That's the thing I hate about pot dealers - they're always too stoned and lazy to make any effort beyond getting their supplier to drop it off at their doorstep.! :(

Puka - I put my plants out every morning and bring them in every night to give them 12 hours of light a day and no more. This obviously forces them into flowering and the fact that I do this in summer when the sun is intense often gives awesome and tightly packed buds. If you want to just "leave them" and let nature do its thing, March is the harvest time, but you can manipulate it, just as you would if you were growing under lights.

Edited by paddy1

Hey Paddy1

1) Is it ok to 'trim' off a couple of early buds without effecting the yield of the plant overall?

It really depends on how much you remove and how big the plant is. I pluck small buds off during the end of flower if im short. I would rather not as the same bud will most likely double in size and 1000x in potency by the end of flower.

If you take to much of the plant away the plant could go into shock and will most likely slow the growth of your whole plant.

2) Where should I cut off the stem? Just below the bud or cut it off at the central stem?

I just cut at the base of the individual bud, I don't remove or cut the whole cola/stem. As im not sure of the size of your plant/buds its hard to understand what you mean by "Just below the bud".

3) Out of interest, does it matter if I trim some leaves off at this stage? It's blocking sun to the buds and a bit of trimming will help things I think. If so, where should I trim the leaves? Leaf and full stem or top of the stem and just cut off leaf matter?

This is an often debated subject, everyone has there own opinion. Personally I hate removing anything other than dead leaves. The plant grew them for a reason, It wants to use it. When the plant that does not need a leaf anymore will take what it wants from it and discard it(dead leaf) If you do have to remove leaf just don't remove to many. Remove the leaf and its stem.

Peace

Con