Nute strength & THC production.

Paranoid

Hi all,

Just wondering peoples thoughts on weather nute strength has anything to do with the high.

I normally go around 600 ppm for veg and a max of 1200 ppm for flower.

My problem is that recently i've grown out some C99 & some AK47, Both were nowhere near as good as discribed, I've smoked homegrown leaf, Grown outdoors, Thats givin me a stronger high.

I've never had any probs with the high off any of the bagseed that i've grown outdoors but, As soon as i moved indoors with known strains, The high has just been average.

What am i doing wrong?, Can anybody help me?, Please.

Thanks heaps, Much appreciated,

Paranoid.

Is that 600ppm on top of the normal base level of nutrient in the water?

There could be all kinds of other factors influencing this lack of potency you're describing... could you give us a few more details about the growing system, environmental conditions, etc... Could be something you may have missed, and without these details I can't really make a more specific diagnosis... :(

I use an airoponics system, It holds 5 plants. My space is 1m x 1m x 2m high. I'm using a 400w hps and i have a bathroom exhaust fan for ventalation. My humidity is anything from 40% to 60%, But has gone off the scale at times. Nutes are kept at 25c and the room is usually between 15c & 35c.

Humidy should drop but the heat will go up now its summer.

The ppm is water + nutes, I hardly ever check water before adding nutes, Most of the time (or whenever i can) i use rain water.

The nutes i normally use are amsterdam indoors, I also use heavy weight for flower .

could be you are used to trippy sativa highs from your outdoor plants and when you went inside you bought "known" brands which I bet are heavy couchlock indicas. maybe look at a more sativa dominant strain for your next purchase?

or pure sativa? I have dreams of growing pure sativa indoors, but I can't even get easy to grow indicas to go really good so far. walk before you run I guess.

This is some info that I found in Ozstoners and its also posted at some hydro web site but here goes, treat this as you will as Iam new to growing- heck I still havent brought seeds hehe.

Nutrient Strength is CF or EC and depends on many things

More air flow= more strength or you get stretching

More humidity= less strength because the transpiration rate is slower (For Transpiration read evaporation from leaves)

More temperature=less strength as the nutrients are not used at same rate as water in solution and nutrients will rise in strength causing over fertilisation / tip burn

Plants using more water because it is hotter or the humidity is drier and the nutrients are left behind affect the rate of mineral salt build up in media. Perlite or Rockwool or anything that can hold onto nutrients might have a nutrient salt build-up. If we flush it clean regularly then use normal to slightly weaker (CF=-2; EC=-0.2) or maybe use -6CF to -8CF and not flush. Depends on the level or build up. Are you a good grower and can tell or not? Symptoms often sluggish growth and leaf shape curled (Note: beginners should know these are symptoms of many things, and you need to have eliminated a lot of these other things first) If you can see this happening before tip burn gives it away then you know the flushing or reduction in nutrient strength is needed.

So where do I start. In free flowing NFT, Clay type systems where build up is low, Seedlings at 8-10CF (0.8 to 1.0EC) and grow at 18-24 CF. Stay there until flowering aggressively developing plants will take up to 24CF to 28 CF. The stronger you go the better flowering, sturdier stems and branches, heavier fruiting plants should be. Drawback is the weaker you go the faster the plants grow, the longer the distance between branches/nodes, the leafier, taller the plants will be. Flush (0CF to 8CF) plants for 2 days before harvest to remove excess fertiliser for taste. High CF grown plants could add a day of flushing. If flushing causes CF to rise then dump tank and restart. E.g. you flush with tap water at 2CF, come back in 5 hours and its 8CF, next 24 hours still 8-10CF. The flushing is no longer working. Use plain water again at 2CF, and it rises to 8CF again in a few hours. Best to flush and dump, flush and dump. (If you can do that every week or two see your crop go CRAZY!!!! Highly recommended. Better effect than superthrive or Nutriboost!

Like I said- I didnt write this (my knowledge is too little)