Fridge Drying ?

Has anyone tried drying in an old fridge? Seems to dry food out if its not gladwraped.

I have issues with smell and close neighbours. I was thinking i could "burp" the fridge when they were asleep.

Would the fridge dry it too fast?

Timo

PS...great site.....tons of great info...you guys rock!

Edit- Meant to put this in "harvesting"...damn my clumsy...sorry.

Edited by Timo

hello Timo, big welcomes to you :applause:

mate i dont like the fridge idea ... i hear what ya saying about the food deyhdrating

but hey Cannabis has too much moisture, too dangerous, dun wanna chance losing your precious buds to mould

what about buds strung up in a cardboard box, then box in your roof space , but watch it dont dry too fast

nah bugger it, fill the fridge with beer is my tip

:peace:

• Upvote 1

Hi Frazz,

Thanks for the welcome.

My roof space may get too hot even at harvest time, I'll have to check it out though cause it's an option I hadn't thought of. Thank you.

I haven't grown for a while but i can recall sh*****g bricks when drying last time. The whole house stunk and I thought I could smell it from the footpath. Kind of put me off.

So I got to thinking about the fridge thing. It's dark,cold,dehumidifying.... Our main fridge even has a humidity control....might have to throw out the food! Can't mess with the beer-fridge though lol

Just thought someone may have done it already.

Cheers

Timo

Hi there Timo,

Frazz is on the money here. A fridge (with a decent seal) is a sealed unit and although it dries your food out if uncovered, the moisture present in weed will allow mould spores to develope, a bit like refrigerated cheese, it can still develope mould. For drying you need air flow and just burping the fridge at night won't allow this to occur. Again as Frazz stated you would be better off with hanging them on a string. It allows the whole bud to be surrounded by air, a fan to circulate the air helps too, to exchange the air. A fridge won't allow this. Smells can be a problem but you can mask them. Those new automatic air freshners that squirt every 10 minutes or so can assist but if you buy a complimentary fragrance it can increase the odour you're trying to manage. A combination of maskers helps. I've used those candles from Glade, vanilla is good, and an automatic together and although it didn't kill the smell it masked it. Years ago I used a product called an Air Sponge. It was a margarine container with a blue goo in it, that worked a treat.

Now I know some ppl are going to disagree with this one. But a mate gave me an ozoneator and although they are not good for growing with they certainly do reduce the smell during drying. The question is does the ozone affect the pot during drying? I don't know, somebody else here may know for sure but In my case it hasn't affected the end product.

heya Timo =) running a grow or harvesting without a carbon filter, unless ya got a large property with no access past the gate, Imo is suicide.

Might as well hang a sign on ya door that says " I grow pot, Come and grab as much as ya can carry."

Smell will get ya busted or Ripped , only second in danger to telling people ya grow.

Good luck, grab a centri fan and carbon filter and get em dry........... Best of Luck. GH72

• Upvote 1

Hi GH72,

Saw some of your relatives on my girls, little brown fellers chomping holes in the leaves! Picked em off by hand and squashed em. Sorry man, had to be done lol

I've still got time to construct a secure drying system before harvest, finding good info here.

As for not telling anyone......have to tell someone about my efforts......I see them growing & I'm soooo happy lol

I trust you guys

:thankyou:

Timo

Buy a cheap carbon filter & fan off ebay something like: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/carbon-filter-800mm-x-250mm-plus-centrifugal-fan-/180824653514?pt=AU_Seed_Starting_Hydroponics&hash=item2a19fd3eca then you just need the CFM ducting & your done. Just with ebay I would avoid hydro sellers and go more for people with 100% feedback...that have been members for a few years that sell OTHER items. One carbon filter will remove basically all the smell & they last YEARS ;)