Sensors and controllers

Guest Wilderbud

Guest Wilderbud

Ill use this thread later to get links which Ill be adding when I find them. I will make a computer-controlled growroom sometime so need rare components like sensors and controllers.

Ive forgotten what I know about micro-electronics but its pretty easy once you get the hang of it. If you need information about how to build a environmental control unit then you might find information via http://www.beyondlogic.org/ and http://www.google.com for now. :(

My first link is; Honeywell Sensors - for temperature, humidity and current sensors and information - they dont seem to have any PH sensors or probes so I have to keep looking [most people want to sell a complete tester or one for a specific PDB but theyre no use if you want to build the PCB yourself].

A home automation kit [power control via a computer] can be bought at most electronics stores as theyre very popular amongst geeks so its easy to find information about that part of a computer controlled growroom. :(

Hydroponics Book.doc or Hydroponics Book.html has a few calculations in it that might come in handy.

Edited by Wilderbud

Thanks WB, this looks like a thread I'll keep my eye on...

Once, a long time ago in a school far far away, I was a computer geek... :( still have that trait underneath the surface to some degree, but it was a lot more pronounced way back when... I've always wanted to combine the two sets of skills, computer building and indoor growing, not only for mj but as a way of controlling a greenhouse/shadehouse for my orchids in the future... That way I could monitor all the major factors, temp, light levels at various areas, humidity, nutrient strength, (if they're fed via an automated system,) and other factors, and keep a record of them as they go along... Then you could learn precisely at what point an error becomes a problem... provided you can pinpoint the error which caused it of course, but it would be much easier to do this with a detailed chart showing all the major and some minor growing factors which is constantly updated.... :(

Anyway, keep us posted man, I'll be interested to see if you get the automation running and how you go with it...

Guest Wilderbud

I cant wait to get into it but Im in no hurry right now - maybe near the middle of next year hehe. Ive always been interested in computers and would like to login to my growroom instead of opening the door. :(

I prefer the software side of computing more than hardware so I hope I dont have to re-learn much about electronics - Ill definately enjoy programming more than soldering [and lose less hair also].

PS. Its amazing what you find when you dont look for it - I have other main sites bookmarked but I havent checked them fully yet [X10, Maxim and Microchip for now]. :(

You know Im doing this so I can let you grow my plants from the other side of the country right? :D

Edited by Wilderbud

:( wilderbud... I couldn't grow em for ya, that's something you'd have to do yourself mate... don't worry, pretty soon you'll be making me sick with jealousy with all your lovely nugs... you'll see. :D

Still, the ideas you've just added are intriguing... you could have a webcammed growroom live on the net, consistently updated every few seconds with graphs and charts and such available to look at by the end user... So you could see just where they'd gone wrong, like you said, from the other side of the world... :(

Wouldn't want to do it without some bitching encryption tho... or if it were in a country with legalisation. ;)

It'd be great to see a software/hardware add on you could do all this with... kinda like a box to plug into the back of the pc, which then controls independently all the aspects of the grow via plugs and leads... these could be both for standard 240v items as well as more delicate instruments like ph and ec meters, as well as fundamental control over fan speed, automated nutrient injectors, automated ph adjusters... the list is practically endless... And the software would allow you the control over these, as well as recording and having compare functions and so on... then if a few growers used the same system, they could make a definitive comparison based on the information gleaned... They may have different systems, but you'd be able to use the info you've gained to make a detailed analysis on the plants health and progress, and compare it to a buddy... :( Whaddya think?

Guest Wilderbud

Umm, Ill start with getting measurements first - temperature and humidity to start with as theyre apparently the easiest. Ill then progress to reservoir, PH and EC level measuring [i dont know if EC measures PPM yet so Ive got some learning to do hehe]. I will then have to design a PCB and start outputting things over ethernet using a cool little gadget I seen ages ago that lets you do it easilly [easilly - if you know what Im talking about]. Then celebrate! :(

After the mesurements are done I can throw in controllers for; fans, humidifier, dehumidifier first then; PH up/down, nutrient/water and water level valves. Ill probably try to get saturation probes working also so I can do soil and aeroponic testing as well as hydroponic. Then celebrate again!

Ill then get to automate everything via some programming - the easy part.

Obtaining and interfacing the sensors, probes and controllers will be the hard part of the project. I interfaced hardware [leds, motors and some PCBs] for fun 15 years ago - this time it will be a lot more fun [challenging - I love learning] as I havent designed a complex PCB yet.

I want to just plant a seed, fiddle with some settings and watch it grow [ill hook up a camera too but I dont think itll be a part of the PCB I make unless its a still-camera with minimal coding required to grab a picture]. Itll do everything. :(

...if a few growers used the same system...

The PCB design and chip programming will be reproducable and anyone can solder some components onto a board, plug in an ethernet cable and download a control program. :D

Edited by Wilderbud

Guest Wilderbud

I wouldnt be suprized if there was already a growroom-specific circuit board or if someone implements the idea I have before me. Theres a lot of people who like this sort of project [its a lot more fun than a simple vending machine or electronic toy].

My project will only be 8-bit accurate but I think thats good enough anyway - rockets still use 8-bit chips supposedly hehe.

Id have to check for a patent before I distributed this if I go 'that' far. :(

Edited by Wilderbud

Guest Wilderbud

http://www.netic.com.au/SensorArrays.html hehe

NOTHINGS NEW ANYMORE! :(

Anytime I go to do something its already been done a thousand times - I might get sensors from these guys - I dont know yet. :(

Blah Ill reinvent the wheel anyway for some fun. I have found so many links that are appropriate for what I want to do. The above site doesnt mention PH and EC but Im getting a large PDF file that seems to explain what I will be doing.

I Googled for microelectronic interfacing temperature humidity PH EC sensors :D

Edited by Wilderbud

Guest reshroomED

G'day wildberbud.

I work on measurement and control systems for a living and reckon the best bet for the situation is a small programmable logic controller. I use a Mitsubishi Alpha Controller (12 inputs 8 outputs@8A) which would retail around $500.

More than adequate for the job, and allows input configuration, making sensor choice much easier.

If you're looking at bread-boarding the thing yourself, the vast majority of industrial transmitters/sensors are 24VDC with a 4-20mA anlogue signal. Having your contrller compatable with this protocol will again facilitate sensor choice.

ed