NT drug law reform activists needing support

I have been asked to repost this as its own thread as I posted it as a reply on the 6th page of another thread and it may get missed. We really need your support in the NT.... anyone coming up here and wanna join in the fun? ;)

PS: Got breaking news today.... they have found the tape! ;)

Hansard video missing in Northern Territory Parliament Invasion Case

Key evidence has gone missing from the court proceedings against 9 drug law reform activists who peacefully entered the Legislative Assembly of Australia’s Northern Territory on the 14th of May last year. The original Hansard video of the incident has vanished despite being held in the custody of the NT Court system.

The activists, who entered the Legislative Assembly to protest against the draconian drug house laws, are outraged that primary evidence has gone missing, particularly as five activists have been sentenced to between 14 and 21 months jail. These activists are in the appeals process.

The drug house laws enable police to declare a house a drug house without evidence and without securing a conviction against a defendant. The home can then be signposted and raided by police without a warrant whenever they choose. It also allows police to conduct cavity searches on the premises and to stop and question anyone within 200 metres of the sign.

The missing Hansard video depicts a number of the activists being assaulted by police and officials of the Parliament. The defendants had argued in court that the video tape had been doctored, and it took months and many court applications before they were able to get their own copy of the supposed original tape.

But in the Magistrate’s court on Monday the 1st of December, during Committal proceedings for Scott White the last of the group to be charged after he was extradited from his new home in Tasmania, the court was told that the original Hansard tape had “gone missing somewhere between the Supreme Court and the Magistrate’s Court.”

Police prosecutor Peter John Thomas, speaking from the witness box said “this is embarrassing.”

Court orderly Jason Finlay, also speaking from the box said “I have been working here for 2 years and evidence has never been lost before.”

This is the first time that political activists in Australia have been charged with “disturbing the legislative assembly”, a charge that has developed from the Tumultuous Petitioning Act of 1661, enacted by King Charles II of England. Many human rights activists have expressed concern that the group are facing lengthy jail sentences for a peaceful protest. Over the past 18 months they have been the subject of police harassment and intimidation. Activists from the Network Against Prohibition have been charged with over 100 offences.

The group have received a hostile reception from the NT court system because of their anti-prohibition stance. They believe that they will not get a fair hearing in the NT courts. In the Supreme Court, the activists have been compared with murderers and terrorists by biased NT Judges.

On Tuesday 2nd December, Magistrate David Loadman interrupted the extradited White, who was cross-examining a police witness about his illegal extradition from Tasmania to the NT. Loadman said “I don’t care if you are brought here at the point of a machine gun.”

In the interests of justice and for the benefit of the public, People Against Racism in Aboriginal Homelands and Network Against Prohibition are providing a segment of our copy of the “doctored” Hansard tape.

Last year the NT Magistrate’s Court ordered that the tape not be broadcast, and media agencies in Australia have not had the courage to broadcast the tape, despite being given copies by the Network Against Prohibition.

The court cases continue next year. Scott White will face a trial by Judge and jury, while five other activists will appeal their conviction to the NT Supreme Court. One activist, Luke Masters, has already served 2 weeks in prison.

You can view the video at http://www.napnt.org/movies/Hofer-attack.mpeg

For more info see http://www.napnt.org and http://www.country-liberal-party.com

Or call the NAP office on +61 (0)8 8942 0570 or +61 (0)415 16 2525

That'd be about right. The pigs in the N.T. do the name justice. They are unprofessional, unethical and corrupt.

In the 12 months preceeding my departure from Darwin I had a number of letters published in The NT News under the pen name WC Feels. Mainly letters critical of the inconsistent sentencing practices of the NT Judicial system with regard for cannabis offences. This series of letters led to police harrasment of me and my family, resulting in around a dozen charges ranging from assault police to possess commercial quantity to offensive language. Out of the more than dozen charges there were three convictions, the dope, and two for offensive language. I left twon because I was told the next one would be more serious and I would do substantial time in Berrimah Jail.

I wonder if WC Feels should make a critical return to the NT News? It's not much but it's all the support I can offer from Nimbin...

Hi people

just in response to people's questions and comments... agree with you totally on the NT police.... the brownshirts they wear are a perfect fit.

1. Wayne, I think WC Feels should definately make a return to the NT News. This is something that everyone can do Wilderbud, it takes about 10 minutes and the email address for letters to the editor of the nt news is ntnmail@ntn.newsltd.com.au

we also need to get this into the eyes of the national media too, who apart from the abc have ignored the drug house laws, and commercial media only report when we are arrested while protesting against the laws.

the email for the australian newspaper is letters@theaustralian.com.au

We would appreciate if you could send copies of any letters you send to us at napnt@bigpond.net.au

Also, people can use the media release to forward it to anyone they think may be interested (or direct them to ozstoners so they can get in on the discussion) and republish it in any print publications that you think you can get it into.

These are just a couple of ways that people can help if they are not in the NT.

Also, NAP has a petition to the federal government, who has the power to overturn nt legislation. We have discussed this with our local member - Dave Tollner, a self confessed pothead who said that while johnny boy is around, the government cannot contradict tough on drugs. Anyway, because it is a petition to the federal parliament, you can print our copies and get people in your neighbourhood and workplace to sign it. Again, email us if u can help in this way

2. Moil flats

No, Moil wasn't declared a drug house. Only 2 places have been actually declared drug houses.

It works this way:

if the police find drugs on the premises 3 times in one year

or

if they suspect a person on the premises is under the influence of drugs, 3 times in a year

or if the commissioner of police reasonably suspects that a premises is being used to deal drugs

then the police apply to the local court, and apply for a drug house order. Their doesn't need to be any charges laid and because it is the local court, and is civil, not criminal, they only need to prove on the balance of probabilities, not beyond reasonable doubt.

once declared police can:

search the premises anytime without a warrant

search anyone on the premises, and after ringing a magistrate on a mobile, do cavity searches on everyone present

charge every person on the premises with possession of a drug found on the premises

seize any object related to offence against misuse of drugs act

issue restraining order to a person "who breaches the peace" on the premises.

a person who is on the premises or within 200 metres of the premises, or a person suspected to be associated with the premises will be required to provide the police with their name and address.

this can apply to homes and businesses

each time the police find drugs on the premises, or suspect someone is under the influence, they give you a warnming. After the 3rd warning it is off to the local court and a 1.2 metre high flourescent green sign is put up on your front door.

you may ask, why only 2 houses in 18 months?

Once you have one warning from police, they can inform your landlord, who now has new powers to evict you with 14 days notice because you have breached the misuse of drugs act.

so 2 houses have been declared, but the polcie claim 20 have been shut down... basically in most cases the tenants have been kicked out.

moil has been one of these

also, it aqppears that noone is being hassled if they own their own home. If this was the case, they would oppose the local court application, and when they lost that, they would appeal to the supreme court, possibly high court and eventually the drug house laws would be declared unlawful.

the dope scene has dramatically changed in darwin since the facist labor government was elected.

Checkout http://www.napnt.org to find out all about it!

And if anyone does want to come up for an activist holiday, please get in touch with us!

Edited by garywmeyerhoff

Perhaps we need a home owner to do just that, use drugs so flagrantly and obviously that they cannot be ignored... and if they won't arrest or declare the house a "drug house" then they should collapse. Media coverage would have to be there to make it work of course, perhaps some footage of the hypothetical home owner bonging on the front lawn whilst the cops drive past? :(

Unfortunately I doubt it would happen, not too many homeowners I know of would really be willing to risk it. But maybe... just maybe....

Anyway, thanks for posting this... These laws are definitely unconstitutional, and IMO all it would take is a simple appeal on a convicition/declaration of such house going to the high court to knock it down. Whether you can do that, well, that's what the first two paragraphs are about...

WA brought in seizure laws a while back, anything deemed to have been purchased from "drug money" can be seized. And the onus of proof is on you to prove that you haven't, not the other way around. This, and other changes being made to our basic rights are going too far. :angry:

WA brought in seizure laws a while back, anything deemed to have been purchased from "drug money" can be seized. And the onus of proof is on you to prove that you haven't, not the other way around. This, and other changes being made to our basic rights are going too far.  :angry:

I thought it was complete assett forfeiture, if you're declared a traffiker. Maybe this is separate legislation, on top of the drug money one you've pointed out? You've got to love Marc Emery's solution - don't own anything, rent your home and everything in it ::(:

does anyone really think that going into parliment and standing on the tables acting like a complete fuk wit is doing anything good for the cause? i dont. The reason i dont get into activism is cause most people who go to rallys and shit are there to start troulble and dont even know/care what the real reason for being there is.

does anyone really think that going into parliment and standing on the tables acting like a complete fuk wit is doing anything good for the cause? i dont. The reason i dont get into activism is cause most people who go to rallys and shit are there to start troulble and dont even know/care what the real reason for being there is.

The reason people are standing on the tables is because they were being assaulted by the Clerk of the Legislative Assembly, security guards, and Superintendent Bert Hofer, who was in the chanber advsiing the police on the drug house and other related laws. (The NT police drafted the legislation in conjunction with the parliamentary office that drafts laws normally).

The invasion of parliament had a purpose, to highlight the drug house laws.

In the NT, we only have 1% of the australian population and we are ignored by mainstream media. The LA job has meant that the drug house laws have been discussed regularly in our local media, as well as significant national and international coverage.

Most importantly, it has given NAP something to rally around (this and other court cases), and has ensured ongoing viability and sustainability for NAP, a growing network.

Also, we are able (by representing ourselves ) to highlight flaws in their sick and corrupt court system, clog up their sick and corrupt court system, and cost them heaps of money.

Fuck man, they have declared war on us, why aren't we fighting back.

And as for rallies, nobody goes to rallies to cause trouble, except police.

We have regular rallies in Darwin, and the only time we have trouble is when police intervene.

And people at the rallies know exactly why they are there! We have stalls, banners, hand out fliers, have speakers from NAPand the NT Greens, as well as an open mike for anyone to have their say.

Phddownunder - 2 questions

1. Do you support current drug laws?

2. If not, how do you propose we have them changed?

NAP is always open to constructive criticism and ideas.