seaweed, anyone else use it in their mulch?

Gday, just went out and bought back a load of ribbon seaweed ya always see at the high tide mark, spent ages last night rinsing it and want to shred

some and add it to my mulch to keep moisture in come warmer days, I already mixed a heap into my big soil pile I use for everything else, My plan is to put down a

nice layer of shredded seaweed around my plot then a bit of peastraw over the top of that.

On another note I made up seedling mix in a few 4 inch pots with nearly a third shredded rinsed seaweed mixed through it conbined with sieved potting mix and my own compost

soil which has bannana skins, mango skins and mainly that kinda thing with bucket of sand mixed in now and then.

Ive read good things about seaweed and have endless supply of it, Just want to know if any others out there have given it a go and what was the results, Its easy to rinse the salt off so Im keen to put it on my plot. will wait to hear results from others first but experiement with couple seedlings aswell.

Good shit making your own compost man it's definantly the best :)

As for seaweed I have no idea ,

I know some fertilisers are a seaweed extract and there is lots of good nutrients in it

But I would still be a bit worried about the salt content which can fuck with your soil a bit .

Hopefully someone here or google has the answer for you though :)

Seems like it could work out well !

Dopedogg

When I first saw the thread title, I thought "hope OP is rinsing it"...

And you are :applause:

It`s great stuff in the garden, would`nt apply it late in flowering, now is perfect.

One thing to be wary of, dont quote me on this...But it may be illegal to collect seaweed from certain areas. I`ve spent a few years about the traps and heard this a few times, never looked it up though. With all the conservation activities, some misguided at times, it may pay to find out.

Either way it`s good to hear of a fellow dirt worshipper going for it :thumbsup:

JAIKAI

• Upvote 1

G'day LF.

Good on ya! Some of the best stuff, ever, to go on a garden. I remember as a kid, my Uncle Harry, always has a great vege patch, 84 now and still going strong, top bloke, lived down at Port Arlington, where he turned pure sand into very productive land. Fed a family of 5 off that plot, and blow ins. He only used sea weed and cow dung to improve his soil, because they were free, worked a treat. I can get free lake weed from a lake around here, and that also, is marvelous for a garden. I only got about one and a half ton this year, 3 small trailer loads. Once all the cells rupture and the water escapes, away you go, pile it on. Half a dozen bags of any manure I can access easily. Been using horse and chook manure for about 30 months, and the beds are showing some good reasult now. If you chuck a good feed of lime, blood and bone, sulphate of potash and some sort of straw you will see goodness happen before you eyes..

Best of luck, cobber.

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

Yeah rinsed heap of seaweed last night and rained most of today on and off, after that took it to the plot and spread it around about 2 inches deep, already tested some on cherry tomatoes at home plus did bit of reading so it seemed like good idea, Out here there's no shortage of seaweed especially after storms and big tides, I just rinse it on shade cloth. I just wanted to get it done before it heats up and it does get warm here and the sun has bite in it. I got the idea from seeing older people use it along west coast on veggies and all sorts.

Hope things are going well for all out there for everyone and things are booming. Im thinking I wont need as much nutes now but will look into it cos only do half strength thrive every second week and only need to water once a week at moment.

Cheers lads for your advice, dont like to jump the gun with my babys so gotta do research and test first.

G'day LF.

Good on ya! Some of the best stuff, ever, to go on a garden. I remember as a kid, my Uncle Harry, always has a great vege patch, 84 now and still going strong, top bloke, lived down at Port Arlington, where he turned pure sand into very productive land. Fed a family of 5 off that plot, and blow ins. He only used sea weed and cow dung to improve his soil, because they were free, worked a treat. I can get free lake weed from a lake around here, and that also, is marvelous for a garden. I only got about one and a half ton this year, 3 small trailer loads. Once all the cells rupture and the water escapes, away you go, pile it on. Half a dozen bags of any manure I can access easily. Been using horse and chook manure for about 30 months, and the beds are showing some good reasult now. If you chuck a good feed of lime, blood and bone, sulphate of potash and some sort of straw you will see goodness happen before you eyes..

Best of luck, cobber.

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

Yeah thinking of putting some straw mixed with old cow dung later, mainly straw to keep moisture in a bit longer. I got tomatoes, basil, passionfruit, and loads of things going at home which is kinda a proofing ground for out bush ha ha. Those seeds have already popped out the ground in the seaweed mix I made in pots, also put it on hot water system at night to warm the soil a touch, I live in country so make use of what ya got laying around plus dont want to spend too much on something that grew long before shops existed ha ha, I do look after them though, You take it easy mate and all the best .