root overgrowth

quizywig

hi

I've got a liitle problem with excess root growth there growing out of my drain pipe into the main feed tank. no blockage yet, Ive just started 12/12 @ 4 weeks from seed there about 3ft tall and very bushie leaves the size of dinner plates, Im guessing another 4to 6 weeks till harvest. i've attached a rough diagram of my system.

thanks for any help or opinions.

MADOGA

diagram1.doc

My friend had the saem problem all the time. The only thing we do different that i think it might be, is that his pump is alot more powerful than mine. I think it make a flow of water in the bottom of the pot and the roots flow with it. He also runs his 24hrs straight but i tried the same and it still didnt happen.

Just lift the collinders and pull the roots back in. Try to be gentle as they break pretty easy and if they do you might stunt them for a day or two. Also try to keep as much light away at the time as you can. Roots dont like light.

edit: i should add that i cant see the doc either cause i dont have word.

Edited by PHdOwnUnder

Guest Wilderbud

Dont forget to build an overflow drain into your setup at all times or youll flood the place if it ever blocks the main drain hole! A tube into the side of the bucket/tray above the maximum water level and below the roots is all you need to save your floor from being soaked. :D

Itd be hard to stop whats happening from happening IMHO. Any mesh doesnt let the water flow fast enough - and itll block with sediment also - and a bigger hole lets too much water out. ;)

Pulling the roots away is the only option AFAIK.

BTW I cant see the .doc file [just a general tip about blocked holes and overflow drain]. ;)

Edited by Wilderbud

Thanks for the replys, Ive installed an emergency overflow pipe higher up on the buckets, I tried to move some root growth from the drainage pipe but when I looked under the plants in the bucket theres shit loads of roots a thick mat in the bucket way to much roots I think, I was advised earlyer to turn down the watering cycle but thought I'd leave well enough alone, other than the roots everything is great big bushy healthy plants, Is the root proble likely to effect the heading and final product, I'm a couple of days into 12/12.

Thanks for any useful opinions

MADOGA

Yeah, they should be fine, the plants will concentrate on flowering now, and root growth tends to slow down in this period. Course, they'll grow, but like you said, there's a crapload of roots at the base so it's not going to do too much to it.

I too couldn't see your pic as I don't have word, any chance you could make it a jpg? ;)

Anyway MADOGA, there's actually a school of thought which follows the idea that restricting the roots can actually enhance blooming rather than stunt it, but it's a fine line. But still, if the plants are growing well, are getting more than enough water and the system isn't flooding, then I don't see why it shouldn't take you through. The only thing I could possibly suggest is to pot up into larger pots, but like I said before, it shouldn't be necessary. Flying blind here I just realised, I don't really know enough about your sys to make a definitive comment, (re the word pic you' ve attached), but I'll take a stab and say they should be okay. ;)

Just keep an eye on it. ;)

Guest Wilderbud
The system diagram would be helpful. Im guessing the medium isnt staying wet for very long - more drippers will soak more medium quicker than less or none and will stop the plant from growing to where the moisture is [at the base]. If you cant make the doc into a jpg then view the picture and take a screenshot with the 'print screen' button on the keyboard then 'paste' into a graphics program. ;)

Hi thanks for the coments made a jpg this time. the system is under a 400w sont argo type, forget the brand name, with a home made metal shade painted white the walls are lined with panda film, Im using an ion generator type extactor fan its got a filter in it but hasnt done much for the smell, very strong already, only cost $5 from a garage sale but it keeps the air moving.

post-9-1070449843_thumb.jpg