NY TIMES MIGHT HAVE A POINT

I READ THIS ARTICLE AND THE FIRST THING I THOUGHT WAS DAMN THE REAL PROBLEM WITH LEGALIZING CANNABIS IS THE POWERS THAT B ARE NOT SURE WHAT ANGLE TO TAKE ON THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE LEGALIZATION.....

http://topics.nytime...uana/index.html

Marijuana and Medical Marijuana

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/06/09/timestopics/marijuana_395.jpg

John Birchard/Bloomberg News

Updated: Oct. 13, 2011

Marijuana, whose botanical name is cannabis, has been used by humans for thousands of years. It was classified as an illegal drug by many countries in the 20th century. But over the past two decades, there has been a growing movement to legalize it, primarily for medical purposes.

Medical marijuana use has surged in the 15 states and the District of Columbia that allow its use. But states and cities are also wrestling with the question of what medical marijuana is, or should be.

In Montana, 2011 saw the House and Senate vote to repeal the state’s six-year-old medical marijuana law. The repeal bill was vetoed by Gov. Brian Schweitzer. Even so, Mr. Schweitzer made it clear that he would like to see reform of the medical marijuana law, which has resulted in 28,000 registered users.

“Do we need 28,000 patients? I doubt it,†said Mr. Schweitzer. “So there are a couple bills still alive that would limit the number of patients, that would limit the number of caregivers. It would take the profit motive out of medical cannabis and it would make sure that it doesn’t end up on our streets.â€

New Mexico’s Republican governor, Susana Martinez, also expressed interest in repeal in 2011. Colorado formulated some of the most detailed rules in the nation for growing and selling. Lawmakers in New Jersey have jousted with the governor over regulation.

In November 2010, Californians defeated Proposition 19, a ballot measure that would have legalized possession and growing of marijuana outright, and taxed and regulated its use. California had already reduced its penalty for possession, putting those caught with small amounts of the drug on the same level as those caught speeding on the freeway. Advocates for Proposition 19 had said that if marijuana were legalized, California could raise $1.4 billion in taxes and save precious law enforcement and prison resources.

Attorney General Eric Holder has insisted that the federal government would continue to enforce its laws against marijuana in California even if they conflict with state law. In an illustration of that conflict, in October 2011 federal officials warned dozens of marijuana dispensaries throughout California to shut down or face civil and criminal action. Specifically, four United States attorneys said that they would move against landlords who rent space to storefront operators of medical marijuana dispensaries whom prosecutors suspect of using the law to cover large-scale for-profit drug sales.

Officials said they would also concentrate on properties used to grow marijuana, particularly in the agriculturally rich central part of the state.

GIVE IT A READ...LETS SEE WHAT WE CAN THINK UP

THE REAL PROBLEM WITH LEGALIZING CANNABIS IS THE POWERS THAT B ARE NOT SURE WHAT ANGLE TO TAKE ON THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE LEGALIZATION...

This is 100% correct PG .. everyone shouts and pleads "legalise Cannabis" .. but how, .. there never ever has been a model (exception the Dutch system which is now falling foul of authorities too)

but we haven't got a coherent, researched model to show-off ...

Ive come to the conclusion that Cannabis will always need to be "controlled" ,regulated somehow within our society

even if it is legalised / de-criminalised there will have to be rules, boundaries, and in our monetary-driven society, even taxes applied

the Cannabis community needs to carry out a comprehensive review of all previous and current models of legalisation / de-criminalisation which will identify and analyse why and where previous arrangements have failed

.... I havent finished with this topic yet but i gotta go now ..

This is 100% correct PG .. everyone shouts and pleads "legalise Cannabis" .. but how, .. there never ever has been a model (exception the Dutch system which is now falling foul of authorities too)

but we haven't got a coherent, researched model to show-off ...

I disagree, the model that could be followed is alcohol prohibition and subsequent re-leagalization. If the authorities treated recreational cannabis as they do alchohol, there would be the opportunity to regulate and tax the industry, while people who are interested can brew their own for a much cheaper price.

:thumbsup:

• Upvote 1

It's the smoking thing that is the conflict.

No"western" Govt. is going to add to the health risk that smoking is, by legalising a drug who's main method of consumption is to fill one's lungs up with smoke.

Sure we can cook it or use vapourisers. But the vast majority don't and won't.

The current problem in the U.S. was caused by people flouting a law that was there to help the sick gain pain relief.

It remains the best option for legal consumption but the profit and greed motive of some growers has made life more difficult for those who have a genuine medical need.

Like many, I don't see Cannabis ever being legalised. I believe Cannabis smokers will slowly fade away the same way that tobacco smokers have.

Maybe we'll all become cannabis pill-poppers and patch wearers, if there is such an option.

thanxs for giving all the good feed back, i think that the smoking of cannabis is one of the big road blocks as many health proffesionals, law enforcement, and others i cant readily name here have a;; argued that they will not legalize another drug that has cancer causing properties, or one that when inhaled through smoking causes permanent damage to the sacs in the lungs.... there has got to be a hundred studies that have proven there is a less than 30percent fewer cases on lung cancer in people that smoke pot not cigarrettes....im sure some politicians will campaign for marijuana legalization as long as it is ingested with food or not smoked.....i however believe that if it was given lowest priority for law enforcement country wide with a few small regulations you can only smoke in your home, the laws for getting caught outside of your home would have same fine amount but you wouldnt be incarcerated just get a ticket lose your dope and go home. but then you have the problem of drugdealers terrorists and other making money of the marijuana big problem for the government.....so i just am totally stumbed on ideas for the model we could use to legalize it.....please add to this topic by giving some ideas plans or just tips on things we should consider for implementing the legalization......as always my post are slightly scrambled like my brain

Good thread.I agree it doesn't look as if it will ever be legal.

Hard for them to tax is one of the biggest reason now I think.It was a threat to the US cotton and fiber mills, but since we have sent all our jobs over seas it seems they would at-least make hemp for fiber only legal.Our farmers need a break!

I am sure I could go on and on but I am working other ways to make it legal.SUch as NORMAL and by writing all my government officials about it.

FREE MARK EMERY

PEACE OUT

SKUNKXXX

O yea this might work.It is the rules for growing legal pot for medical use

RULES FOR GROWING POT IN CO>

www colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1251703849776&ssbinary=true

dailynews.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=38354626&event=1344047&CategoryID=0&picnum=15&move=B#Image

It's the smoking thing that is the conflict.

No"western" Govt. is going to add to the health risk that smoking is, by legalising a drug who's main method of consumption is to fill one's lungs up with smoke.

Sure we can cook it or use vapourisers. But the vast majority don't and won't.

The current problem in the U.S. was caused by people flouting a law that was there to help the sick gain pain relief.

It remains the best option for legal consumption but the profit and greed motive of some growers has made life more difficult for those who have a genuine medical need.

Like many, I don't see Cannabis ever being legalised. I believe Cannabis smokers will slowly fade away the same way that tobacco smokers have.

Maybe we'll all become cannabis pill-poppers and patch wearers, if there is such an option.

Sorry but I totally disagree. With regards to smoking, it IS a changing culture and many people my age (21) are interested in vaporizing. Also, if you could go to the local 'pot shop' and find vaporizers sitting on the shelves are you more likely to buy one than if you have to order off a website from overseas, particularly during prohibition? Absolutely. You could also buy some brownies whilst you are at it. Also, possibly pot 'smokers' will fade away, but cannabis consumers in general are on the rise and the internet is giving young people an alternative education that is seriously making them think twice about the bullshit they are fed at school. Implementing the same model as alcohol as someone else said earlier, with easy access to brownies that you don't have to bake yourself, and vaporizers on the shelf right in front of you, you are totally going to turn people onto healthier forms of consumption.

• Upvote 2

I love how people are so ignorant as to believe the government has some kind of logical reason for keeping cannabis illegal.

Politicians are only interested in getting good poll results so they can extend their career, simple as that. Also, Australia (like the majority of countries) has signed multiple UN treaties that ban us from legalizing most illegal drugs, not to mention that the drug issue is considered toxic in political terms. So why would a politician work there whole lives to get into parliament only to become known as ‘the person who wanted to give your kids drugs’? Which is the kind of propaganda headlines you would see in the Murdoch papers if a politician made an effort to change the laws (anyone remember the shit the Murdoch papers were writing about professor david nutt?)

Saying it’s because they have no model is BS as well. I mean look at what’s happening in cali at the moment. I think there showing just how it can be done professionally and in a matter that’s safe for the community in general.

Also the Holland experiment has been a complete success in everyway and is a perfect model. They have a lower than average drug use rate for Europe and on average there drug use rate is only half of what it is in most western countries. I don’t understand way people would think Holland’s soft drug policy hasn’t been a success? I mean I realize there’s a problem with organized crime supplying the coffee shops, but if the government allowed the coffee shops to grow it there self that wouldn’t be an issue. The only other problem I know of that they were having over there was all the drug tourists, but that wouldn’t be an issue if other countries adopted the there soft drug policy.

Once again, cannabis is still illegal for one reason, politicians are more worried about there own careers than creating a better world.

Peace

I love how people are so ignorant as to believe the government has some kind of logical reason for keeping cannabis illegal.

Saying it’s because they have no model is BS as well. I mean look at what’s happening in cali at the moment. I think there showing just how it can be done professionally and in a matter that’s safe for the community in general.

just because we are not enamored with our own cleverness, does not mean we are ignorant

taking your direction to 'look at what’s happening in cali at the moment' i didnt see any relaxation of laws regarding recreational personel use of Cannabis

the Compassionate Act in California, Proposition 215 in no way nullifies Federal US law which prohibits the cultivation and possession of Cannabis

so that model is somewhat fucked up

The only other problem I know of that they were having over there was all the drug tourists, but that wouldn’t be an issue if other countries adopted the there soft drug policy.

that is like saying if your aunty had balls she would be your uncle... the other countries havent adopted hollands soft drug policy so it is still an issue

its the very same reason SA's experiment with de-criminalisation was reversed

:peace:

Edited by Frazz