Hello,

I am currently completeing a study on the australian hemp industry. there are loads of usefull things that are currently being produced with australian grown hemp, such as replacing fibreglass products, used in plastics manufacture, used as a growing medium (has anyone tried using hemp fibre as a medium, i am interested to see how it goes...) and textiles.. among others

However, Hemp seed products are regarded by Food standards Australia and New Zealand (FSANZ, The governing body that decides what is and is not food) to be a good source of essential fatty acids, but in the last application for hemp as food was denied beacause of the ... oh fuck it here is the quote.. "An application for the use of industrial hemp as a novel food was rejected by ANZFSC. It has very low levels of THC and so has no hallucinogenic properties. It is also a good source of unsaturated fats. However, Ministers decided to retain the total prohibition on the use of industrial hemp as a novel food because they believe that the use of hemp in food may send a confused message to consumers about the acceptability and safety of the high THC cannabis. There were also concerns about law enforcement issues, particularly from a policing perspective as there would be difficulties in visually distinguishing between high THC cannabis and low THC industrial hemp products"

this rejection was in 2002, there is currently another application in process with FSANZ, it will be interesting to see the difference 10 years has made to the outcome of this application.....

does anyone eat seeds??? I decided to give em a go.. I had some pretty seedy plants last time around and now every time I chop up I put the seeds aside and when I get a few I munch em down... They are bloody tasty, kinda sweet and oily... only the husk is pretty thick and woody... I reckon if I soaked them they would be even more palatable.... If you haven't tried them you should have a taste... I wouldn't go buying them from a seed shop just to eat but if you get a seedy plant tuck in... although they are damn tasty so make sure you don't eat next seassons bud supply...

:chef: :chef:

Yup, tried a few seeds. Packed with protein and good fats, it's a better quality protein than meat and eggs. You're right about the husk though, but hey, you gotta get your fibre somehow :good:

Dunno you got 1/2kg of seed to spare but I`ll stick with a nice porterhouse @ 2" thick cooked rare as hens teeth and cackleberries for me usual protein intake...among bacon and other such items heheh :yahoo:

Look up early monk diets and such, you`ll find many a reference to hemp seed, etc for a source of protein and necessary oils. Anecdotal maybe, but they lived well...

JAIKAI