Does a 100W HPS need a ballast

Hey people im from Australia and have been told that u dont need a ballast for a 70W hps bulb. I have got a 100W Hps bulb that has 100W 240V-250V. When i got it,

it came with a bulb holder and 3 wires coming from the bulb holder (i have got a socket for it).

I havent tried anything yet as i dont want to blow the bulb by just plugging it in and turning it on to find that it blows the bulb.

As Australia has 240V do i need a ballast for this or not ?

All HPS lighting requires a ballast. If you directly connect an HPS lamp to mains AC, it WILL explode.

The techie end of it is that the quartz tube has a negative thermal resistance coefficient; this is to say as it gets hotter, its electrical resistance drops. Without the current limiting function of an inductor in a magnetic ballast (or digital control circuitry in an electronic ballast), the current flow will progressively increase (in a directly-AC mains connected tube) until the fuse on the circuit blows- or the HPS tube explodes.

You either need a ballast or a face mask to keep the glass shards out of your eyes.

may i make an inquisition? what does a ballast consist of?

A typical 'magnetic' ballast for HPS lighting contains an iron cored inductor and an ignitor, which is essentially a snazzy capacitor. The igniter hits the quartz tube with a 1.5-3kV pulse to start the arc, which lowers the resistance of the tube. When the tube reaches a certain current draw, the inductor comes in circuit, in series with the tube, to limit current to the proper level.

This site has a pretty good explanation of how inductive ballasts work.