Growing things, in general.

G'day Troops.

G'day Lou Lou.

It did rain hard for a few days after I planted the corn, so I've replanted them and will leave them alone. The sheet of tin is a bloody good idea, thanks.

G"day Aeshai.

That's the way. Rotation of your beds is not only a good idea, it's actually vital to the ongoing health of your soil. Continuing to grow the same thing, every time, in the same spot, will lead to all sorts of bad things. For example, tomatoes in the same spot, will promote the growth of nematodes, and they are HARD to get rid of.

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

i'm learning so much, with so much more to learn!

yesterday i planted some corn seedlings. i read that home grown corn shits all over store bought. the same for cauliflower and broccoli (which i am raising seeds for). apparantly if you hate those kind of veggies, its probably all the chemicals you're tasting, that's masking the flavour.

sorry, when stoned, i am too lazy for grammar. :bongon:

• Upvote 1

No worries Aunty, I always hang onto a couple of small sheets of tin for sheltering sown beds from the weather.

Hi Aeshai, it looks like we have bought the same bed frames. I'm replacing my old veggie garden, so far I have 3 raised beds in and planted and the fourth is ready to be filled. By the time I'm finished there will be ten 1.2msq raised beds. It might sound like a lot but I like to be able to grow manure crops and to leave beds fallow occasionally, so I expect there will only be crops in 7 or 8 at any one time.

These are my Apollo's, vertical scrog... they will cover both sides of the reo by the time they are in full fruit. The first fruit have formed so are due for small dose of pk 13:14 and some magnesium.

post-20731-0-63051100-1321580182_thumb.jpg

Edited by lou lou

G'day Troops.

G'day Aeshai.

Everything you grow yourself, is always much better than you could ever buy. Harvest and eat, much fresher, crisper, sweeter, tastes like food should. Plus you put a bit of your soul into it, and that can't be a bad thing. A little love goes a long way. Also you know exactly what went into the growing of your food, another bonus.

G'day Lou Lou.

You are a machine, I take off my hat to you. Also a deep mine of growing knowledge. The brick wall behind your toms makes an excellent heat bank for cold nights, the steel fence also contributes to this. Good stuff. I have a sililar set up behind the shed and it's a bonus down here.

It's raining hard again today, yesterday I used my aircon for the first time, today, I'll likely start the heater, a bit later.

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

Edited by Auntynorm

Nice plants Smashed. I never have real great luck with tomatoes. My neighbour's tomatoes look fantastic and they don't even look after them, just left to nature. My tomatoes barely flower even though I feed them. Maybe I should just do what the neighbours do - NOTHING :)

I have capsicums too, for awhile the flowers wouldn't set and they'd fall off when the caps were just little buds. They seem to be coming on ok now. Two caps that were almost ready were rotted on the inside. I hope this does not happen to the rest of the crop that is growing now. I bought a Diggers variety from Bunnings, it's called Sweet Chocolate. It does not look too healthy - maybe I need to try this one from seed. The transplanting must really shock them

I was just so in awe of mother nature this morning. I woke up to see the flowers up the top ready to pollinate, and below, the silks had arrived. I was just so amazed how everything was timed perfectly - silks and pollination all ready to go.

I have the most awful trouble with nutgrass. It is everywhere in our yard, and it's also in the garden beds. There is a chemical you can use that apparantly kills only the nutgrass. I don't really wanna go this way but it may be my only option. The nut is just buried far too low in the ground for me to be able to get rid of it.

i love my vege garden i used to have a pearler was massive but i just moved into a new place and have had to start again i started a few things in seedling trays before i got here so when we arrived i could plant them out! its only in its new state but ill send a few more when it all gets going properly so far i got eggplant , capcicum , jalepino peppers ( which i pickle yumyum ) , corn , and all the herbs you could think of in planta boxes some which i have planted in as ground cover such as thyme and oregeno in the veg patch itself do yourself a favour and grow black russian tomatoes mmmm

aeshai nut grass is a pain in the ass but to get rid of it get a horse syringe the big ass ones fill with olive oil and inject the nut grass it suffocates and it dies its what my old man used to do and it seemed to work for us give it a try !!1

Ah thanks so much for that Pleasurefather, I'll for sure give it a go. Really do not want to go with chemicals...

I'm uploading some photos of my vegies.

These vegie beds are at the rear of my yard that backs onto a commuter railway line.

post-45751-0-35751700-1325044995_thumb.jpg

post-45751-0-72782900-1325045101_thumb.jpg

post-45751-0-69745900-1325045142_thumb.jpg

post-45751-0-30165700-1325045195_thumb.jpg

post-45751-0-02341400-1325045230_thumb.jpg

post-45751-0-96434100-1325045267_thumb.jpg

post-45751-0-24916800-1325045316_thumb.jpg

This little patch of herbs and salad is just off the rear of the house. The netting over the lettuces in the old laundry tub is to protect them. I was having issues when the lettuce was planted down near the rest of the vegies. The seedlings kept getting munched, I'm guessing, by possoms. They are doing much better closer to the house and with that netting.

post-45751-0-42908000-1325045426_thumb.jpg

Edited by aeshai

yeah very nice aeshai nothing beats a good garden my veg garden here is very imature but it will get there think/hope i got one pict i think ? will take more tomorrow but nothing special as yet its a work in progress !!! yup olive oil is the go its natural, chemical free, but is very painstakingly slow but worth it from memory no reason why it wont work for you mate also your capcicums looking shit hot whats the secret mine suck big time !!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-45545-0-06480500-1325056269_thumb.jpg