Growing things, in general.

G'day Troops.

G'day Frazz.

I reckon you're on the right track. Everybody should have a garden, if they have the space and some decent soil to grow in. doesn't have to be pure vegies, some flowers are fairly essential, to bring in the birds and bees. One third of all food plants depend on bees for pollination. And I know exactly what went into the vegies I grow. They ALWAYS taste much better than anything you can buy in any shop, anywhere. I had some Desiree spuds from my patch the other night, magic. Creamy flesh, with a slight nutty flavour, delicious. Some of what I grow, I grow just for my dear old mum. The rhubarb is a case in point. I don't mind it, but she loves it, so, I grow some for her. She likes to eat fresh water eels too, so I go to catch some for her, every now and then.

The stuff about the cavemen, well the jury's still out on that one. But as good a theory as any.

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

The stuff about the cavemen, well the jury's still out on that one. But as good a theory as any.

Oh no Norm, that is the 100% gospel

you had better believe it or

youre mad and im certainly not!

havent you ever read Ripley's ...

very offended that you would think me telling pork pies

and to even question my integrity on a Public forum,

how rude is that!

very, very sincerely yours,

Frazzle :peace:

BTW Norm how does one know when their potatoes are ready to dig up ??, i cant see them cause they is buried!

G'day Troops.

Peas are up, but still no sign of the other stuff. I think I have a million tomato plants coming up where the corn is, I'll keep an eye on them, as they weren't bad toms, just Bunnings seedlings, but they did reasonably well. All the strawbs I moved seem to have coped well. What time of year is garlic ready? I think I saw somewhere thet it's about Melb. Cup time, but even I don't trust my memory these days. I'll check in with Gardening Aust. they are a gold mine of info. By the way I'm growing Desiree spuds, I love them. And does anyone know what time of year asparagus plants are available? As I want to get some asap. Even if it does make ya pee smell weird. It's raining here now, a nice gentle rain that is perfect for the garden, though I'll have to be very vigilant as to those evil snail bastards.

ahhhh yea thanks for the low-down on potato's D9 an lou lou :applause: :yahoo:

Norm asparagus ... i think your a little late for the crowns as mine are all growing in the garden now, about the middle -end of winter they usually come out for sale?

yea ya garlic memory is right Norm , about Melb cup time dig them up, tis what i do, in fact i picked one as a tester the other day :thumbsup:

:peace:

Well my tomatoes are pretty much done :( Just descimated by caterpillars. i kept pulling the bastards off... Bees don't seem to be interested in helping out the strawbs either. This weekend I am going to buy some raised garden beds and put them around where my weed plants are to add a little stealth. Is there anything I need to be aware of, in regards to having vegies planted near my weed?

If you want a few bulbs for the table Norm you can pull them from November, but if you want to harvest and store the crop wait until the leaves begin to yellow. The rule of thumb for garlic is to plant on the shortest day and harvest on the longest day (6 months growing)... I've found planting a month or so earlier and lifting a bit later produces a better crop of bulbs that store well (8 months growing).