Creating hermies by shock

Hi All,

I posted this in a different area of this forum, but not sure if it was the right area so hoping for some pointers here.

I have very old seeds and they are a really good strain. This year, I am getting a very low 'sprout' rate and I fear that this might be the last year that I can grow from them.

I have not yet grown a male from these seeds in the past couple of years and I assume this next run will be the same. If that's the case, I'm willing to sacrifice one female this year and turn it into a hermie so that I can get a good pile of seeds for the future.

I see some things on the internet about 'light shock' and 'physical shock' cause females to become hermies, but can't seem to find proper instructions.

Does anyone have any specific directions on these 'shock' techniques that will allow me to change it a hermie with seeds?

All help appreciated. Thanks.

G'day Mate,

from what i can gather. if a plant senses it's in poor conditions that threats it's survival it will send out a male branch to keep the specie from becoming wiped out. anyway in my last grow 2 plants were in shady areas so the growth was stunted they were hermies. from these 2 little plants no more then 12 inches i got 30 seeds.

also these were grown during Brisbans winter

cheers

Hi All,

Thanks so much for fast and great responses.

Frazz I have a question and somewhat follows on from Token JJ.

If I make a clone and then use the silver thio.... thingo on the clone, will the seeds still be as good as if I create a hermie from a seeded plant?

Also Token JJ - I know how to do cloning, but I have read a bit about clones not having the same strength as growing from seed. Has this been your experience?

Cheers

If I make a clone and then use the silver thio.... thingo on the clone, will the seeds still be as good as if I create a hermie from a seeded plant?

couple of things here;

we dont want a real hermie 'cause a hermie has always been, and is always going to be a hermie .. no matter what

you want a straight uncomplicated female that under normal environment & conditions will not sprout out male pollen sacks

take her and then use other means to induce sexual reversal

so it would be important to know the genetic history of your clone, to know there has not been any sexual abnormalities in the plants recent history

when you think about it every clone is part of a seeded plant .. originally, at some point it was taken from an unique individual seeded plant ..

so yea, just know well the genetic traits and characteristics of whatever candidates you choose for your sexual manipulation experiments

ive never made female seeds or used this silver theo .. thingy

but i do reckon that careful selection is a foundation cornerstone of successful breeding

:peace: