COCO VS SOIL

Hey, I'm currently doing a grow with COCO/PERLITE 65/35 ATM.

My babies have got one set of leaves the other one is still in rockwool they're both under the 250 WATT fluro light.

I moved one of them into the pot with the coco/perlite and i've washed it with PH water etc etc in POT IN POT drain to waste. hydroton underneath pot in pot etc etc..

My question is I've got some of this permium soil shit from bunnings & I was wondering IF I put my other seeding in a pot of that, how would I go? Do I need to adjust the PH of added water or is it fine just to add normal water?

I can take a picture if need be of the bag of soil that I've got, but i'm just curious.

It seems like some half decent soil.

& What neuts would I have to go by getting than?

Like, its my first ever grow never even grown outdoors before straight into a hydro grow!

And i've got one of them in the coco, but there's so much effort trying to get the neuts/flushing right etc I wouldn't mind chucking another in the soil incase something goes wrong with the COCO grow.

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/33328-coco-how-to-prep-your-coco-and-get-growing/page__p__300423#entry300423 thats the grow im doing atm.

Hey, I'm currently doing a grow with COCO/PERLITE 65/35 ATM.

My babies have got one set of leaves the other one is still in rockwool they're both under the 250 WATT fluro light.

I moved one of them into the pot with the coco/perlite and i've washed it with PH water etc etc in POT IN POT drain to waste. hydroton underneath pot in pot etc etc..

My question is I've got some of this permium soil shit from bunnings & I was wondering IF I put my other seeding in a pot of that, how would I go? Do I need to adjust the PH of added water or is it fine just to add normal water?

I can take a picture if need be of the bag of soil that I've got, but i'm just curious.

It seems like some half decent soil.

& What neuts would I have to go by getting than?

Like, its my first ever grow never even grown outdoors before straight into a hydro grow!

And i've got one of them in the coco, but there's so much effort trying to get the neuts/flushing right etc I wouldn't mind chucking another in the soil incase something goes wrong with the COCO grow.

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/33328-coco-how-to-prep-your-coco-and-get-growing/page__p__300423#entry300423 thats the grow im doing atm.

Soil indoors is an easy way to get fungus gnats + flushing is actually harder than with coco.

Keep it simple, run your nutes at no higher than 1.0 - 1.2 EC and you can probably get away WITHOUT flushing the entire grow. Contrary to what I have read the runoff from coco can be measured and is an excellent way to see if the medium is becoming to 'salty' or high in nutrient. Start flushing if the runoff exceeds 2.0

Ditch the flouro too if you want to grow anything decent sized, the flouro doesn't have the 'luminous intensity' that is required and the plants will become stretched and stalky once past the small plant stage in veg.

That's my 2 cents

• Upvote 1

man if its your first grow than i would just stick to one method and if you all ready purchased the coco and nutes then just start with that. if you were to start a grow in soil yes i still think it is important to keep an eye on your PH but saying that there are properties in the soil that do stabilize the PH, i always add dolomite lime in my mixes as this helps acidic soils raise there PH near neutral, plants in soil like there PH around 6.5 - 7 .There is also life ( bacteria and fungi ) that stabilize PH and saying that if you wanted to use tap water you would have to leave it out for at least 24 hours and the chlorine can evaporate as this is harmful to you plants and would kills all the live stuff in your soil. As bufo said organic soil mixes attract fungus gnats ( i hate THEM !! ) but growing in coco and are probably to see some as well they are attracted to decomposing organic matter and as coco decomposes they are attracted to coco as well. just keep and eye out for them.

PS what nutrients are you using for your coco ?? i have a 250wt Fluro as well and i love it easy to maintain temperature no need for ballast and great for bringing up young plants i have two mothers under it right now but yeh like bufo said it is necessary to get a higher output for anything decent i use a 400mh and a 600hps

My question is I've got some of this permium soil shit from bunnings & I was wondering IF I put my other seeding in a pot of that, how would I go?

ANSWER: probably badly for two reasons. As someone above mentioned, soil attracts more fungus and disease which adds another headache to the process of growing (that you don't need).

Second reason is because of the details you've given above. The most troubling thing is "premium soil". If I was going to grow in soil, I would probably buy the most non-premium soil mix I can find. Premium often includes balls of all sorts of different nutrients and plants - particularly young plants - don't like it. I believe it's too strong for them. So if you are growing in soil, make it really basic soil as mull plants don't require intensive nutient treatment like flowers and other pot plants. Then adjust the nutients as you go along or as needed, though this can be more of an exercise with any soil.

From all my experience, coco is the best. Any medium that doesn't have natural nutrients puts you in charge and means you can control and easily adjust things as you go along.

To the person who was wondering about stones in coco, this might be done to give some spacing between the coco in the hope that it doesn't cake up. It also adds weight to ensure strong winds don't blow them over.

Cheers