First ever grow - just a few questions

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forums and to growing. I have spent the last week or so scouring these forums plus others and have finally got enough info to start my grow (at least I hope). Just a few things I want to clear up before I start to maximize my chances at a harvest!! :thumbsup:

I'm worried that it is getting too late in the season to start? It will be another 2 weeks or so before I get my seeds and then of course I have to germinate them and let them get big enough to transfer. So will it be alright to plant in say, the first week of Nov?

Which brings me to my second question. At what stage is it best to transfer into the ground?

The site I have chosen is close to a stream and has plenty of decomposing leaves etc. on the ground so I am assuming it is fairly good soil. If I assume correctly, will my plants be happy with a 50/50 mix of existing soil and an organic potting mix? (Searles Kickalong organic). If this mix is ok, do I prepare the site and leave it there for a few weeks before planting?

BTW, I have ordered 5 feminized Durban Poison seeds from attitude (plus I get 2 bonus). How much area in m2 would I need for 7 plants?

Just like to add, I am having an absolute ball so far! This really is an exciting hobby. And so far all I have done is some background research and found a location. I can't wait to start preparing it tomorrow. Glad to be a part of the site guys!

T.H

Edited by Hiesenburg

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forums and to growing. I have spent the last week or so scouring these forums plus others and have finally got enough info to start my grow (at least I hope). Just a few things I want to clear up before I start to maximize my chances at a harvest!! :thumbsup:

I'm worried that it is getting too late in the season to start? It will be another 2 weeks or so before I get my seeds and then of course I have to germinate them and let them get big enough to transfer. So will it be alright to plant in say, the first week of Nov?

Which brings me to my second question. At what stage is it best to transfer into the ground?

The site I have chosen is close to a stream and has plenty of decomposing leaves etc. on the ground so I am assuming it is fairly good soil. If I assume correctly, will my plants be happy with a 50/50 mix of existing soil and an organic potting mix? (Searles Kickalong organic). If this mix is ok, do I prepare the site and leave it there for a few weeks before planting?

BTW, I have ordered 5 feminized Durban Poison seeds from attitude (plus I get 2 bonus). How much area in m2 would I need for 7 plants?

Just like to add, I am having an absolute ball so far! This really is an exciting hobby. And so far all I have done is some background research and found a location. I can't wait to start preparing it tomorrow. Glad to be a part of the site guys!

T.H

G'day Hiesenburg welcome to OS, love the name and love breaking bad

just one thing for you to keep an eye on is our wet season. some 20 odd years back we lost a crop to flooding. We even thought we were far enough away from the creek if it flooded but was not the case. it seems we may well be in for another big wet season here in SEQ.

Any mate. it stays warm for quite a while in Brisbane so a late crop is not going to be a problem. good luck

You'll be fine planting in Nov, you will still get a decent harvest of seven plants, especially as its your first time it wont really matter that much.....experience is what counts :oldman: , you will learn a lot your first year. I like the sounds of that soil mix for your first crack, its simple enough to work really well as long as you hit it with nutes, I'd recommend organic ones preferably as they're a lot more forgiving to the ameture grower than some chemical counter parts and also nicer to the ground and nearby stream. With that soil mix, letting it sit for a week or two will be fine. As you research more, next year you will most likely have a more elaborate soil mix which will require some baking in the sun to get everything up and running but for the momentf local soil and some potting mix wont need to much loving. All i'd say is have a hunt for the most decomposed matter, maybe even dig down a little and look for the richest soil.....try not to ruin the land of course but have a browse by all means. As for transferring into the ground, you would want to keep them at your attention for at least a few weeks if you want them to all survive the outdoors. Preferably when there at least 6" if not bigger is always good. I like them to be pretty well established when I put them in.

And for 7 plants well it depends on how much room you have to grow, but as your doing guerilla, I would recommend scattering them round what ever area you have so its doesn't scream man made.

Anyway best of luck

Scraps :guitar:

• Upvote 1

Hey guys,

Dave - Thanks for the welcome and I'm glad there is someone that picked up on my name so quickly haha quality show! I was a little worried about flooding because I have heard we are in for a wet one too. I still have a bit of time to scout around so I will try to find an even better location.

Scraps - Thanks for the advice on soil and transferring. Cleared up all confusion! I will definitely be researching further into the different types of soil mixes for next year. I have read a little into already but as you know I started a little late so bit pressed for time this year. Plus like you said it is my first grow so best to keep it simple :thumbsup:

I will keep ya's posted.

T.H

if ya havent already you might wanna read some do's and dont's of outdoor.

ie dont leave rubbish at your patch, Dont use rows if u can help it.

(curves are better). A random arrangments appears more natural.

There are ways of making a living barrier out of teh surrounding trees, tall saplings.

Lay them over rather than cutting down, you can weave these trees through some verticle trees.

The layed over tree will continue to grow and add to the shade, and continue to look more natural.

GL have fun stay safe.

PS :thumbsup: Hehe cool name.... never ever get yourself a Jesse. Break Bad, make bud :bongon:

Edited by Johny4pple2ee0