Misleading information and deceptive conduct

Australia

In the 1970s J.J. McRoach ran for parliament as candidate for the Australian Marijuana Party.[citation needed] He had an advertising campaign funded by a well-meaning anonymous dealer. His party came fourth in the elections. In 1986 Nick Brash ran for the “Marijuana Party†for the Kiama NSW by-election against ALP heavy-weight Bob “Bobo†Harrison. Then in 1987 Nick Brash ran in the Heathcote NSW by-election with 13 other candidates including the infamous Rex “Buckets†Jackson. This campaign was partly funded by the late John Marsden, solicitor and outspoken civil libertarian. In the 1988 NSW State Election he joined Macciza Macpherson in running for the Legislative Council Soon after, the electoral laws were changed requiring all political parties to prove a membership of 500 enrolled voters, an impossible task for the Marijuana Party. The independent HEMP Legalise Marijuana party continues to run in the upper house in South Australian legislative elections, with their best result being in 1997 when they received 1.7% of the vote, beating relatively popular parties such as the SA Greens and the SA branch of the National Party of Australia. The Party was founded in 1993 and has a constitution, which describes an organisation with the aim of endorsing candidates to contest elections to the Federal Parliament of Australia.

More recently the HEMP Party (Help End Marijuana Prohibition) was first registered in 2000, and then de-registered in 2006 under Schedule 3 of the Electoral and Referendum Amendment (Electoral Integrity and Other Measures) Act 2006. During that time candidates stood in state and federal elections. Since that time it has been difficult to prove a membership of 500, as members contacted by the AEC (Australian Electoral Commission) sometimes disavowed membership, or had changed address without notifying the Party or the AEC.[1]

Several applications later the AEC has assessed the party as meeting the test of being a political party under s4 of the Electoral Act. On 17 June 2010 the delegate determined that the party's application had passed its initial consideration for registration and the application was advertised for public objection on 23 June 2010. The issue of writs on 19 July 2010 for the federal elections meant that no further action could be taken on this application until the final return of all outstanding writs on 17 September 2010. No objections to the registration of the HEMP Party were received. The AEC assessed the party's application against the technical requirements in s126(2) of the Electoral Act. The application meets the technical requirements in s126(2). The delegate of the Australian Electoral Commission determined that the HEMP Party should therefore be registered under the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918.[2]

Vote 1 hemp party there your vioce

G'Day to all the Aussie stoners out there.

I'm new to the forum but not new to the cannabis scene. What i would like to discuss and get opinions of others out there is on the thought and whether it is possible for 'us' the public of Australia to take the Australian Government to court over misleading information and deceptive conduct in relation to the schedualing of cannabis and the laws that sourround it making it illegal for one to process and consume. Being a university student i have been talking to my trusty friends whom are coming close to the end of there legal degrees and they seem to think that 'we the people' have a case against the government. Just as an indiviual would sue a travel company for misleading about a holiday package or lead customers on through deceptive conduct, we need to get together and make it happen so we can sue the government for leading everyone on about the harm of cannabis, where there is ample scientific evidence coming out of the USA supporting cannabis as a safe medicinal treatment, industrially it is safe and from a recreational perspective it is safe (much safer than alcohol and tobacco).

So any thoughts people?

Hi Mr Nice Guy, Mate if you reckon your lawyer mates can build a case then tell them to go for it. I think now more than ever cannabis is accepted by the wider community..

Don't vote at the next election. That sends a bigger message. And if you're worried about copping a fine for not voting, do you know anyone that has been?

I don't so delta. hving a asay, however insignificant in the big picture is kinda all we got-that and basic civil disobedience. If we refuse to make our views known via the (flawed) electoral process, we really forfeit our right to complain. Please don't let disenchantment and apathy become accepted paradigm of our country. this is important. Its really all we have. peace to you. V

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I don't so delta. hving a asay, however insignificant in the big picture is kinda all we got-that and basic civil disobedience. If we refuse to make our views known via the (flawed) electoral process, we really forfeit our right to complain. Please don't let disenchantment and apathy become accepted paradigm of our country. this is important. Its really all we have. peace to you. V

The problem being the government known it's all we have, and that is used against a time in again after all with a vast majority of voters voting only 2 parties no matter what they do they only have to be a bit less crap then the other 1 to be elected.

because of social pressure people such as myself

are too afraid to openly stand up in a political arena and defend cannabis and our right to use it. if I was to put my face where my mouth is I fear police harassment, arrest for possession, and public vilification.

Again government is aware of this and it forces cannabis supporters in the closet, away from the mainstream, which further supports the sentiment that supporting canna. bis is deviant.

Again I can talk it up but do I have the resolve to get public? Nope, too afraid I have children I would be publicly and socially

shunned.

People like Nick and Hemp party candidates had the courage to buck that trend and say fuck this if no one will represent me I will do it myself, they may not have made too much progress as yet but we can hope the continued efforts will help to normalise cannabis so it's no longer a dirty little secret.

If every smoker assembled in a mass demonstration of public smoking, they couldn't arrest all of us, but some of us would end up being charged, I for one am too gutless to take such a risk, yet I can see the need for blatant civil disobedience exists

So I guess all we can do is support those who are getting political with party membership and money, they are our soldiers lets arm them well

Part of the problem with a political party being formed to represent Cannabis users is that a party must have at least 500 registered members (last time I checked anyway). People register as members but often when contacted by the AEC to confirm registration as a member of the party they deny membership out of fear.

I can't see much progress being made until more of us stand up for what we believe and know is right. So many for example teach children they must stand up for truth and what is 'right' but fail to lead by example.

There are many ways to stand up for your beliefs without being a suicidal crusader. A small step can be something as simple as speaking your mind when a group of friends/acquaintances discuss Cannabis. You don't have to admit what you do to join the conversation and point out some of the positives of Cannabis or the flaws in the arguments of the naysayers. All too often potential advocates of Cannabis simply remain silent on the subject from fear of social rejection or worse.

I understand that some people cannot or will not do this for a variety of reasons and the above statement is not intended to demonise anyone, it's just how I feel.

Naycha :peace:

• Upvote 1

If you were worried about offending me in particular I can assure you none was taken, I agree with what you say in full and I have a hard time reconciling the fact that I want so badly to stand up and say what I think but I feapersecution. I feel privileged to have been so close to someone who did so muctrying to "normalise" marijuana, when he was still here I could live through his efforts without doing anything myself. Now I feel ashamed that he is gone and instead of picking up his torch and continuing with his efforts I kind of let it burn out. :(

One of my main points is that the government are well aware of the social stigma associated with marijuana advocacy and play it up and grow it with public statements such as drugs ruin families and lives making it all the more difficult to get out of coffee shops and internet forums anti into politics. As a mother if I was to really get political the media would cast as some crazed supporter of"drug abuse"attempting to make the world more dangerous for my kids, to whom I am an unfit role model. I am not thick skinned enough to potentially embarrass my family and be publicly demonised. I am working on being more vocal in social setting. But as for real politics I have to leave it to those wh prepared to put a face to the fight. So thanks, I know I need to get more vocal. The fact they have me right where they want me stings. I don't want to be a good little monkey yet I won't rattle the cage.

If you were worried about offending me in particular I can assure you none was taken, I agree with what you say in full and I have a hard time reconciling the fact that I want so badly to stand up and say what I think but I feapersecution. I feel privileged to have been so close to someone who did so muctrying to "normalise" marijuana, when he was still here I could live through his efforts without doing anything myself. Now I feel ashamed that he is gone and instead of picking up his torch and continuing with his efforts I kind of let it burn out. :(

One of my main points is that the government are well aware of the social stigma associated with marijuana advocacy and play it up and grow it with public statements such as drugs ruin families and lives making it all the more difficult to get out of coffee shops and internet forums anti into politics. As a mother if I was to really get political the media would cast as some crazed supporter of"drug abuse"attempting to make the world more dangerous for my kids, to whom I am an unfit role model. I am not thick skinned enough to potentially embarrass my family and be publicly demonised. I am working on being more vocal in social setting. But as for real politics I have to leave it to those wh prepared to put a face to the fight. So thanks, I know I need to get more vocal. The fact they have me right where they want me stings. I don't want to be a good little monkey yet I won't rattle the cage.

e

Hey, Smokn -certain types of individuals have different strengths and weaknesses. One is strong in this....The other not so strong. No more value, no less value just different. Try not be annoyed with yourself. I have very similar views and feelings concerning the need, or 'right' for truth. cannabis is just one truth that doesn't sit well with the economice model we have de-volved to. it fucks up their system. But I got kids, I'm a stay at home Dad lol (best toil) and it concerns me if/when we decided to be more public re these types of views, consequences of such could affect my children and wife. right now-a vote an petition signin is all I got. I love em too much. It is changing though-my Mum posted a pro-legalisation thingo publicly on facebook-she don't smoke 'cept back when in the 60-70s had the big 'Legalize it with photos of some pretty famous people taken out by the boozemongers and doctors Amy etc rip and Cheech and Chong on the end, still token and alive with smiles on their face God bless 'em. Its changing. peace to all V

• Upvote 1