Problems with current coco grow...

Alright, the discolouration is a plain and simple N lockout caused by lack of oxygen to the roots caused by waterlogging/overwatering. Straight coco sometimes does not drain well without perlite, meaning, it is easy for some plants grown in coco to become waterlogged and nitrogen will begin to lockout and then other micros will begin to follow soon thereafter, when a plant is waterlogged nutrients can not travel through the ion channels as they usually would, hence eventual discolouration...... The discolouration usually occurs after the roots have already taken a bashing with overwatering, if it is possible to check the health of your rootsystem by analysing the colour of the rootsystem then you may find that the plant has suffered more than you may have suspected. When plants are young ... starting from a seedling stage ..... you should closely monitor their feed, that is ,,,,,,, how many ml's you feed them and gradually increase.... as you gradually increase feed size in mls you will begin to need to slowly transplant the plants into larger size pots the size of the feeds will obviously largely depend on grow environment - temp/humidity/root system temperature. ..... plants with undeveloped rootsystems that have been chucked straight into a large pot of coco as it appears to be in your grow will suffer because of a lack of oxygen in the roots caused by overwatering ...... adding perlite could have helped by creating more aeration and better drainage. When you have small cuttings or seedlings try to increase the perlite to coco ratio, you will find by even minimally changing ratios you will increase the speed of root development of said cuttings/seedlings. Regardless, many plant problems can be rectified with a sick plant chart found on google or on this forum or others. Mynameisstitch's sick plant thread which can be googled has a decent chart that you will find probably has a picture identical to the sick plant pics you have submitted in this thread ahtb...... Anyways, sounds like its all under control, any other dramas let me know bro ....

Keep it green brother.

@buzzo - pmsl... that bottle of bug spray actually contains mite rid from about 2 grows ago - i aint got fungus gnats and i have yellow sticky fly traps hanging so id know if i had gnats. Im not trying to hide the fact of anything, everything i posted above is exactly as i have done. No bug sprays have been used on this grow so far. so everything you have just dribbled about gnats eating my root system im throwing aside as its absolute BS... if i had a hardcore gnat problem the topic of this thread would be somthing along the lines of "Gnats have eaten the shitta out of my roots!! help" - but quite obviously it isnt lol... If i had a gnat problem i would treat it accordingly and i wouldnt hide the fact of it, as how am i to seek advice for one thing in perticular if i am lying about it ? Doesnt make sence to me, nor does half the BS you just dribbled.. Sorry to be so erm.... upfront about it, but i dont like being accused of lying ;)

@cyb - yeh mate im farken confused now........ many folk say coco CANT be over watered, people say to keep it moist and water every 2-3 days, now others are saying to water once a week as i have been doing ? No idea wtf to do now... confused as all hell

The root systems are healthy and as white as white can be, as i said i took one of the plants out of the pots to see if the coco was waterlogged... beautiful white healthy rootsystem holding the medium togeather, the coco was damp/moist not waterlogged at all...

So your saying to let the pots dry out, overwatering causing nute lockout, obviously lacking in nitrogen....Others have told me that due to only feeding once a week that they are lacking nutes, therfor keep waterings/feeds at 2-3 day intervals..... confused i am...

peace

Edited by allhailthebud
  • Upvote 1

hey shroomy

couldnt point us out to one of River rats old coco threads ? or explain his method ? maybe old RR might just pop in to explain the old coco method himself :whistle:

I guess im guna let them dry out then, trial and error right now untill i find a method im happy with. Many of the plants have come back pretty good after flushing and giving them another weaker strength feed. Ill be letting them dry out, added a pedestal fan pointing at them and turned 1 of the exhaust fans off, temps averaging around 27-29degrees right now with excellent circulation still to try dry the medium out abit quicker then 6-7 days. Hopefully its alot dryer by friday and i can give them another feed..

will let ya's know how i go,

peace