Dope smokers have crazy sperm?

white_cluster

Question

Sperm From Marijuana Smokers Move Too Fast Too Early, Impairing Fertility, UB Research Shows

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Men who smoke marijuana frequently have significantly less seminal fluid, a lower total sperm count and their sperm behave abnormally, all of which may affect fertility adversely, a new study in reproductive physiology at the University at Buffalo has shown.

This study is the first to assess marijuana's effects on specific swimming behavior of sperm from marijuana smokers and to compare the results with sperm from men with confirmed fertility. Marijuana contains the cannabinoid drug THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), which is its primary psychoactive chemical, as well as other cannabinoids.

Results of the study were presented today (Oct. 13, 2003) at the annual meeting of the American Society of Reproductive Medicine in San Antonio.

"The bottom line is, the active ingredients in marijuana are doing something to sperm, and the numbers are in the direction toward infertility," said Lani J. Burkman, Ph.D., lead author on the study. Burkman is assistant professor of gynecology/obstetrics and urology and head of the Section on Andrology in the UB School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences. UB's andrology laboratory also carries out sophisticated diagnosis for infertile couples.

"We don't know exactly what is happening to change sperm functioning," said Burkman, "but we think it is one of two things: THC may be causing improper timing of sperm function by direct stimulation, or it may be bypassing natural inhibition mechanisms. Whatever the cause, the sperm are swimming too fast too early." This aberrant pattern has been connected to infertility in other studies, she noted.

Burkman collaborated on earlier, published UB research that was the first to show that human sperm contains cannabinoid receptors, and that the naturally occurring cannabinoid, anandamide, which activates cannabinoid receptors in the brain and other organs, also activates receptors in sperm. This evidence indicated an important role in reproduction for natural cannabinoids.

Further research in the andrology laboratory showed that human sperm exposed to high levels of THC displayed abnormal changes in the sperm enzyme cap, called the acrosome. When researchers tested synthetic anandamide equivalents on human sperm, the normal vigorous swimming patterns were changed and the sperm showed reduced ability to attach to the egg before fertilization. Only about 10 laboratories in the U.S. perform this array of sperm function tests.

In the current study, Burkman received seminal fluid from 22 confirmed marijuana smokers and subjected the samples to a variety of tests. The volunteers reported smoking marijuana approximately 14 times a week, and for an average of 5.1 years.

Control numbers were obtained from 59 fertile men who had produced a pregnancy. All men abstained from sexual activity for two days before the lab analysis.

The samples from both groups were tested for volume, sperm-count-per-unit of seminal fluid, total sperm count, percent of sperm that was moving, velocity and sperm shape. Sperm also were assessed for an important function called hyperactivation (HA), a closely regulated and very vigorous type of swimming that is required as the sperm approaches the egg. The researchers evaluated HA and velocity while the sperm was in seminal fluid and again after washing and incubation, when the dead sperm were eliminated.

Results showed that both the volume of seminal fluid and the total number of sperm from marijuana smokers were significantly less than for fertile control men. Significant differences also appeared when HA and velocity, both before and after washing, were assessed, the study found.

"The sperm from marijuana smokers were moving too fast too early," said Burkman. "The timing was all wrong. These sperm will experience burnout before they reach the egg and would not be capable of fertilization."

Burkman noted that many men who smoke marijuana have fathered children. "The men who are most affected likely have naturally occurring borderline fertility potential, and THC from marijuana may push them over the edge into infertility," she said.

As to the question of whether fertility potential returns when smokers stop using marijuana: Burkman said the issue hasn't been studied well enough to provide a definitive answer.

"THC remains stored in fat for a long period, so the process may be quite slow. We can't say that everything will go back to normal. Most men who have borderline fertility are unaware of that fact. It's difficult to know who is at risk. I definitely would advise anyone trying to conceive not to smoke marijuana, and that would include women as well as men."

Additional scientists on the study included Herbert Schuel, Ph.D., UB professor of pathology and anatomical sciences, and the staff of the andrology laboratory.

from here........

What a croc of shit. There is absolutely no evidence here that THC or even cannabis itself is responsible for the decrease in fertility. This could be more than any number of things affecting not only them, but the general population. Of course if you pour an acidic compound on sperm it's going to have an effect... IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN ANYTHING LIKE THOSE CONCENTRATIONS IN THE BODY... Your testes are not test tubes, and you don't inject thc pure into them... woa... dejavu there, didn't I say that about another piece here once? Oh well.

Now, let's see if it holds up to the basic scientific scrutiny... Was there a control? Hmm...

Control numbers were obtained from 59 fertile men who had produced a pregnancy. All men abstained from sexual activity for two days before the lab analysis.

Uhh... that's not really a relevant control. Of course those who have produced a pregnancy before are going to be fertile, that's completely irrelevant, what you need to know is whether those who smoke are significantly different from those in the same basic groupings. (You choose, age, sex, race, socio economic status, relative distance to pesticide concentrations, water quality.... etc) The fertility rate of the general population, I think you'd find, would come out in a similar range to that of their 22 marijuana smokers.

And where the heck do they get off comparing the relative fertility of 22 heavy marijuana smokers to that of 59 confirmed fertile men. Not to mention the obvious disparity in the numbers, which would skew results in the first place, but the sample is waaaay to small. 22 men are supposed to represent pot smoking humanities potential to procreate? I don't think so.

It's just propaganda dressed up as science to make you feel guilty for smoking pot. :angry: Fertility rates have been dropping alarmingly in the last 50 years, but I doubt in the extreme that cannabis has the slightest thing to do with it. Maybe it has something to do with the tonnes of volatile chemicals like ddt that we sprayed everywhere? That shit doesn't go away ya know. And there's confirmed evidence that ddt, even in tiny concentrations, can lead to severe mutation in utero, as well as it and it's byproducts being confirmed carcinogens, and androginising effects on just about any animal species it comes in contact with. They want to blame the increased rate of intersex babies being reported on pot too? I won't be surprised. :)

Guest Babybear

HAHa I so dont belive that\

HAHA mj can wack shit in the hormones I so belive an experience that..

funny its usally the yougeish smokers that have kids here or there casue usally they to stoned an horney to give a fuck on the out come an the girl is to hot an bothered to ask for doms in fear of the bloke wont sex her cause she wants dom blah blah blak

unless they have better stupids then this crap i wont be trusting it...

makes you think thou if it is/can effect the male sperm then what are they doin to the womens eggs? NOw is it the hydro that do it or just bush.. i find hydro seams to effect the hormones things in yout bod (not just to want fuck the other ones :))

now how are women effectd woul dbe a nice test m An if it really do help PMS :)

Yeah, a load of crap. There's been more written about this subject.

Marijuana Myths

http://webhome.idirect.com/~orbitz/main/ma...uana-myths.html

Marijuana lowers testosterone and causes sterility

http://www.norml.org/facts/myths.shtml

Government experts also concede that pot has no permanent effect on the male or female

reproductive systems.1 A few studies have suggested that heavy marijuana use may have a

reversible, suppressive effect on male testicular function.2 A recent study by Dr.

Robert Block has refuted earlier research suggesting that pot lowers testosterone or

other sex hormones in men or women.3 In contrast, heavy alcohol drinking is known to

lower testosterone levels and cause impotence. A couple of lab studies indicated that

very heavy marijuana smoking might lower sperm counts. However, surveys of chronic

smokers have turned up no indication of infertility or other abnormalities.

marijuana myths and jokes

http://www.marijuana.nl/myths_jokes.php

These Marijuana Myths Have Been Refuted

http://www.mapinc.org/letters/2003/08/lte139.html

Hemp and Marijuana: Myths & Realities

http://www.globalhemp.com/Archives/FAQ/myt..._realities.html

Marijuana: Myth or Miracle

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/kicker/mary.html

Comments...Sperm from Marijuana Smokers Move Faster

gutter science

No credible researcher familiar with statistics and the term "null hypothesis" would

design an experiment with a mismatched control group such as this. By "cherry-picking"

fertile men for the controls, rather than non-cannabis-consuming men of undetermined

fertility, Dr. Burkman violates a most basic test-design rule.

This design flaw is so striking, I have to give Dr. Burkman at least the benefit of the

doubt, and believe there was a valid control group, but that it was discarded when

analysis showed no statistical difference in male sperm motility and/or fertility due

to cannabis use.

The study is crackpot hogwash

My wife has one working ovary. A early adulthood trauma left her with only one

functional ovary. Together we have four natural born children. I have smoked cannabis

for 33 years and she has smoked cannabis for 30 years.

If cannabis slows anything, it is the US government's effectiveness in the worthless

drug war they wage.

Caffeine Perks Up Sluggish Sperm

By Maxine Frith October 14, 2003

Coffee may not simply wake up the brain cells - it could also boost male fertility, new

research suggests. Scientists have found that men who drink coffee have sperm that

moves better than the sperm of those who lay off the caffeine. The study suggests that

new coffee-based treatments should be developed for men with poor sperm movement - a

defect that can cause fertility problems.

Coffee/herb speeds up sperm

Wasn't the bad thing about pot was that it speeds up sperm? But with Coffee, it's good

that it speeds up sperm. Weird. Funny how both stories were released the same day.

Sounds like a natural contraceptive )

Talking about solving the world's overpopulation? Hey..that sounds much more natural

than contraceptive pills. Why would that be only a woman's responsibility? Side effects

are not as potentially dangerous either. It's when they say it MAY cause this or that.

Their MAY's is one of the things that makes marijuana illegal.

Just another MAYBE....

This seems to be the prefered scientific method for prohibitionists.

Do an inconclusive study (or in the case of the RAVE act an improper study) then scream

"Look Look!" The problem is Joe Average doesn't look any further than the headlines...

and the powers that be know this.

faster, than what?

Ummmm, how do they measure the speed of sperm? Do they have "sperm derbies" where there

are tiny little lap lanes for them?

Another reason for MMJ!!!

My infertility problem is a little different. I have (and I hope I'm not sharing too

much) an abnomally high sperm count. Somewhere around 6X normal. The little swimmers

get caught in a "traffic jam," of sorts.

So, could this be another use for MMJ? Thanks for the supprt, Dr. Burkman!!

Another paid schill

1) Medical users don't care about fertility! 2) This is not a new study.

http://www.buffalo.edu/reporter/vol30/vol30n15/n4.html

Same woman, same BS. In her previous work, she stated 3 negative side affects. Now she

is down to one. That sperm swim abnormally if you smoke pot. What the hell is that.

Sperm always swim abnormally. They don't have eyes or ears. Millions of sperm are

released like pollen in hopes that one runs into the egg. period. She's really pulling

at straws to keep that government money coming. I'd like to see the actual research

methods and statistical information.

People told me I'd have trouble conceiving. My wife and I succeeded the FIRST time we

tried, and have a healthy, happy little boy.

What about the positive aspects on conceiving that they skip. A lot of people have

trouble conceiving because of a lack of intamacy. Studies have shown that conception is

much more successful when the woman and man climax at the same time, and a lot of

people have trouble with the intimacy this requires. Guess what helps a couples' intimacy?

I had a sperm test recently because my partner and I were trying to conceive. She has irregular periods (sometimes missing months) but it was decided I should be tested too (ever wanked into a little plastic jar ? You gotta' aim carefully). The first test was "inconclusive". Before a second test could be held we conceived. I was vaping every day at the time (er.. still am). Yippee .. I'm gonna' be a Daddy.