Remote watering system

Hey guys,

For this years crop I want to keep my presence around it to a minimum. So for a watering system I'm thinking a 240L wheelie bin, with a tap fitted at the bottom. I think you can purchase these, but I'm just going to make my own. Off the tap I'm going to have an electronic tap timer which you can set to water for the amount of time you want each day. Or every few days. These systems are about $50 or less off eBay for a quality one. I'll also need hose or pipe coming off the tap to the various plants.

Is this a good idea? Just want to know if there's any flaws in my planning really. Cheers (:

Hey mate I'm not saying you did, but did you just literally reiterate exactly what I posted in the thread bellow this exact one with a very similar thread title explaining that this is your idea as if it hadn't previously been mentioned? I'm not implying that it wasn't all you and I'm not in any way angry as that was the point of my thread....to help others out. However to say your using a wheelie bin of the exact same size (240L) with a tap outlet and that you 'might be able to buy these' (A link to buy them was posted) is quite strange when I had literally made a post in a forum that hasn't been active for weeks and then you start this topic two days later. Either it was a fluke and your very lazy hence haven't read any of the threads, be it the one directly below this one, in which case go and read other threads or for some reason you decided to start a new topic about exactly the same thing you had previously read to some reason pretend you thought of it? Why? ^_-

And to answer your question it will work and no you shouldn't have to worry about pH or water going stagnant, its only in there for weeks or maybe 1-2months.......think about a water tank. It wont kill your plant.

There's not much to making them really. If you buy the bin, like the one of the website I posted (and if you haven't looked at it do because there's a 240L set up and ready) all you need to do is literally slip the timer on the end of the valve coming off the bottom of the bin......literally click it on, as it has a hose fitting outlet already fitted, and the tap timer obviously has a hose fitted inlet. Once thats done just place the bin up a hill and run some tubing to your plants, irrigation tubing, hose, anything will work really. Just go to bunnings and have a look round at all the irrigation parts, you should be able to figure it out. Good luck