French Toast and Bacon

ok easy as lol

Get around 4 slices of bacon and remove the rinds. Now, put them into a small bowl of milk and leave for around an hour. Thoroughly dry the bacon, then cook , not too quickly.

Take 4 slices or more of bread, remove crusts (if you want to) and soak in milk first quickly, then dip in some beaten egg. Fry each side until golden brown, done!

I love french toast... I've always known it as "fried bread" tho, as I grew up in the country. lol I used to make it as a kid because it was easy for my parents to leave me and know I'd cook myself something at least marginally healthy and they could go out.

Anyway, the version I make uses a frypan with olive oil, not too much, maybe a couple tablespoons, and brought to a moderate heat... (not too hot, you don't want it to be smoking.) As the pan is heating, beat two eggs and a splash of milk, (maybe 50ml? at most? not more than total egg in bowl tho) until nice and golden. Then add a pinch of pepper and italian spice, or whatever condiment you particularly like, although it is more suited to savoury flavouring IMO. Beat this though quickly just before dipping in the bread. Use thick bread, toaster... makes for a soft bread inside and crisp outside, yum. Dip in one side, making sure to coat bread thoroughly, and then turn and cover other side. Once coated in egg mixture, put in frypan and watch carefully. You can normally get two or three pieces in at a time, just don't overload the pan or you may cool it too quickly. In a couple of minutes, perhaps even one, the bread will be golden brown underneath, flip and cook again until the same on other side... Two eggs in the mix normally makes 8-10 slices, depending on how much milk you use and how thick you like it. You may also need to add more oil as you go, as the bread absorbs a fair bit of it. A healthy alternative would be to use less or no oil, and a non-stick pan. Maybe a wiping of margerine or butter on the base just before cooking, like pancakes. ;)

Anyway, serve immediately, with tomatoe or sweet chilli sauce. I'm thinking of a canna version... maybe I can makes some canna milk and use that in the batter... or using canna butter for the oil..... hmmm.... ;)

Good recipie chev, I'm bloody starving now... :;):

Important Information

By using the community in any way you agree to our Terms of Use and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.