Mud Cake

This is honestly one of the best choc cakes I've ever made, I picked it up somewhere off the net. Substitute all plain butter for cannabutter...... :D Of course....... :P

I've messed around with cooking a bit, and I've personally found chocolate to be the best thing to cook mj with, binding wise. And yumyum wise. This is a fairly big cake, probably more a party on friday night sort of thing :o.

Takes 1 hr 45 mins to cook

You'll need

1 cup plain flour

1 cup self-raising flour

1/2 cup dark cocoa powder

1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

2 1/2 cups sugar

250g dark chocolate, chopped

250g butter

3/4 cup water

1/2 cup buttermilk

2 tbsp oil

2 tbsp instant espresso coffee granules or powder

4 eggs

For the icing

200g dark chocolate, chopped

200g butter

Here's how

1. Preheat the oven to warm (160C). Brush a deep, 23cm square cake tin with melted butter or oil. Line the base and sides with baking paper, extending at least 2cm above the rim.

2. Sift the flours, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre.

3. Put the chocolate and butter in a pan. Add the water and stir over low heat until the butter and chocolate dissolve. Using a large metal spoon, gradually stir the chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients.

4. Whisk together the buttermilk, oil, coffee and eggs in a large jug and add to the cake mixture. Stir until the ingredients are well combined and smooth. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 1 hour 40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre. Leave the cake in the tin to cool completely before turning out.

5. To make the icing, combine the chocolate and butter in a small pan and stir over low heat until smooth. Cool to room temperature, stirring often, until the mixture is thick enough to spread. (You can speed up this process by refrigerating the mixture.) Turn the cake upside down so that the uneven top becomes the base, and spread the icing completely over the cake. Allow the icing to set slightly before serving.

Enjoy!

Important Information

By using the community in any way you agree to our Terms of Use and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.