Keeping a Father instead of a Mother

G’day everyone, has anyone ever kept a male vegging to use for cloning, I am about to start down this path. Usually get stuck smoking the same strain for months on end, I have not been using mothers just cloning from clones. Cloning is faster I know, but with limited space the plants only have to be 600mm high and bushy to go into my flower room. This size can comfortably be achieved from seed within the approx 60 day flower cycle. So theoretically every time I put plants in the flower room I just have to plant new seed’s and they will get 60 day’s to grow which should be enough to sex them and reach a reasonable size.

So here’s the plan, the 4 strains I received from Demon Seeds will be the ‘root stock’ so to speak. I have Pineapple Chunk (fem) LSD (fem) Tahoe OG Kush (reg) & Medicine Man-aka-White Rhino (reg). I hope to get a male from the medicine man & the Tahoe Kush; if I am lucky I could end up with:

Pure Medicine man

Pure Tahoe OG Kush

Medicine Man X Pineapple Chunk

Medicine Man X LSD

Medicine Man X Tahoe OG Kush

Tahoe OG Kush X Pineapple Chunk

Tahoe OG Kush X LSD

So to do this I will keep the dad’s in veg until pollen is required.

So here’s a question for you’s all,

Do I flower the dad, harvest the pollen then re-veg the plant or

Do I just take a clone and use him for the pollen.

I will then have a variety of seeds to play around with.

So that’s the plan, keep Dad and give Mum the flick.

Vrod.

G'day Vrod.

I still have the NQ x PNG and wasn't sure what to do with him. But I might harvest the heads(?) and freeze them. Do they need to be dried before freezing? :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

G'day norm, storing pollen is possible but tricky. You have to dry it the right way then refridgerate for a couple of weeks, then freeze it.

Keeping a male viable is better for me, once I have a enough seed's of different X's and pure, I can do away with Mothers, Fathers and Clones. Then it's just a matter of what do I pick for this grow, mothers take up space.

Vrod.

mongyman`s onto it :thumbsup:

imo, the best breeding comes from preserving males and testing each one until ya find one that has what ya looking for.......and that usually means collecting/preserving a few :uhhuh:

so... the best bet would be to keep mothers and fathers of everything and test each one.....eg; determine sex, ... determine which is the best female, by sussing out the structure, pace, disease resistance, nutrient uptake, while in veg ...flower out a clone or two from each,...still monitoring the traits ...pace, nute uptake, disease/mold resistance, density, aroma/flavor, and strength.

then, to determine which is the best males, imo, and without having to smoke the farkn things :bleh: .... follow the same lines as with the females when in veg, .... but also keep an eye out for the best aroma by lightly rub the stems.....the, when ya wanna use one for a seed run, or to suss its flowering pace/structure and resin production, just take a clone from the one ya wanna test and chuck it into 12/12

the test run flowering males wont effect the females if they stay in veg.....but during and after the male flowering test run, ya can give the vegging plants a lite foliage feed, which will stop any escaping pollen from fertilizing a stray unseen preflower,...if thats a worry

when space is a drama, just bonsai the donors or let em get to a height and then slaughter them back down...or just clone and label em, and then chuck the donors n start again.....

hope that helps :unsure:

have fun with the project :)

chron :punk:

• Upvote 2

mongyman`s onto it :thumbsup:

imo, the best breeding comes from preserving males and testing each one until ya find one that has what ya looking for.......and that usually means collecting/preserving a few :uhhuh:

so... the best bet would be to keep mothers and fathers of everything and test each one.....eg; determine sex, ... determine which is the best female, by sussing out the structure, pace, disease resistance, nutrient uptake, while in veg ...flower out a clone or two from each,...still monitoring the traits ...pace, nute uptake, disease/mold resistance, density, aroma/flavor, and strength.

then, to determine which is the best males, imo, and without having to smoke the farkn things :bleh: .... follow the same lines as with the females when in veg, .... but also keep an eye out for the best aroma by lightly rub the stems.....the, when ya wanna use one for a seed run, or to suss its flowering pace/structure and resin production, just take a clone from the one ya wanna test and chuck it into 12/12

the test run flowering males wont effect the females if they stay in veg.....but during and after the male flowering test run, ya can give the vegging plants a lite foliage feed, which will stop any escaping pollen from fertilizing a stray unseen preflower,...if thats a worry

when space is a drama, just bonsai the donors or let em get to a height and then slaughter them back down...or just clone and label em, and then chuck the donors n start again.....

hope that helps :unsure:

have fun with the project :)

chron :punk:

All good advise Mongey, thanks. But I won't be getting into that much detail, the 4 strains I have will or should produce excellent smoko crossed which ever way it happens. So I will just pollenate everything and take the next year or so growing from seed and sampling the results. That's the plan.

Vrod.

Well I have my first Dad, he's a Tahoe OG Kush. It's an arranged marriage, poor bastard will never meet the mother's of his offspring, his 'Mojo' will be extracted and the girl's will be A.I.'ed The Medicine 'Man' is a girl, so if all goes well I will have Pineapple Chunk X Tahoe OG, Medicine Man X Tahoe OG and Tahoe x Tahoe.

Looking taunt & terrific, man need's a bride. post-44248-0-41499600-1312290459_thumb.jpg first signs of puberty. post-44248-0-80888700-1312290677_thumb.jpg

Vrod.