any strains that DO NOT give munchies?

ok i really like getting wasted then having a nice meal & some choccies etc but its getting a bit much, my pot belly that is :D

i gave up smoking tobacco/cigarettes about 5 mths ago and ate alot more when i was first quiting hence put on weight plus the nocatine makes your heart rate go up and burn off excess fat. Have always got the munchies when stoned, some batches made me more hungry than others, dunno what the strains were. I always crave sugar real bad too so my teeth arent in great condition :) so yeah are there any particular strains that cause less hunger than others etc?

have a big bottle of water or diet softdrink to swig from. Won't make you fat and can settle down your cravings. Other than that chop up a heap of fresh fruit and maybe have some yoghurt in the fridge. There's nothing better than fresh cold fruit for munchies. bananas and yoghurt are good. I like strawberries but notice all the strawberries I buy don't seem to have any taste in them? might try growing my own some day...

Give "Hokowase" a go Pipeman, should be around nurseries there... you might need a diff strain up north, as you have a different season to us, but it's a damn nice strawberry if you can grow it... no acid whatsoever, so it's even sweet and tasty when unripe... look out for em when they ripen up tho... yummy....

Been looking for "Redland's Joy", a heavy fruiting, red fleshed variety with lots of compact flowers and fruit... This isn't used as a commercial crop, as it's difficult to harvest, but apparently is prolific in yeild and great in taste...

Growing strawberries is so easy, not to mention most of your own fruit and veggies too... I have a tiny 5m x 6m courtyard garden overhung by a balcony and trees, and I still get enough fruit and veggies out of it in hydroponics (mostly perlite based rtw systems.) to keep our bills down, and make for more tomatoes than I can ever know what to do with... :)

Anyway, on to the question at hand... munchies... Well, not to sure if there are specific strains which work against it, but I'd have to agree with pipe... water. My munchies are more a need to moisten the mouth, as MJ causes the salivary glands to reduce production... ie. cottonmouth as the yanks call it, or the "drys"...The desire to eat I find comes more as an aftereffect of that, rather than an actual desire to eat.... And there have been discussions here about whether long term cannabis use actually reduces, rather than increases appetite and weight... The jury's out until we have some research on the matter and not just anectodal discussions. The only thing I can offer ya is look around and try a few different strains, try em and see what some others have to say about them as well... Munchies, as well as a lot of the other effects of weed, isn't just dictated by strain, but also by the person themselves, in their reactions to the drug... Its not a matter of absolutes, ya know?

And yeah, get yourself some good fruit from a local fruiterer or good market garden for snacks... Don't bother with commercial chain stores, they don't often get the best tasting produce, usually its the cheapest and best looking. :D

hey thanks for the tip on the strawberries Luke. How do I grow them hydro? germinate seeds and stick em in bubblers like my MJ plants? can I grow em on MJ nutes? haha....are you starting to get the picture of how clueless a gardener I am? :D

I'm already growing garlic in soil. Just stick a clove in and water, and the bastard grew! I was shocked. since I'm getting rid of all my soil I'm gonna give it a go in hydro. Just in small pots in between my mums...makes the grow cupboard a bit more interesting. :o

Guest Wilderbud

You could probably get a strawberry plant cutting from a nursery and root it in a hydro medium. :D

I am growing some strawberries ATM in peat [they love moist soil] and will be growing passionfruit and chillis soon. BTW Luke, can you tell me some other easy plants to grow that will produce in the first year and stay under a metre tall? :o

Hi pipe... yeah, it's easy as... I just buy small plants from bunnings in the 100mm square pots, rinse out the dirt with a large bucket of tepid water and a lot of time, :D and then plant out into foam broccoli boxes or eskies in straight perlite... (one or two 19mm "L" poly drains inserted with screen on inside end about 5cm from base of foam box, to provide some moisture... You'll have to water daily in full summer, or warm temps.

I'd offer some more advice, but I have to go cook dinner now so I'll get back to you on this later...

As to your q's about the plants wilderbud... just about any perennial herb is under 1m and very easy to grow... basil, sage, parsley, shit, just have a look at your local garden center and look at the herb section, almost all of them will do well in hydro. Small bush type tomatoes can be kept producing well and kept under 1m... although you may have a bit of trouble controlling growth on an indeterminate type... (the big, stake needing varieties)

Anyway, if you're all facinated by growing your own veggies, get yourselves a copy of "hydroponics for everyone" by Struan Sutherland from your local library... Another good one is "Hydroponic Gardening" by Steven Carruthers (of Practical hydroponics and greenhouses)... You can also buy these books, but it's easier to go to a library, and they're dedicated to vegetable growing too... although the advice is useful in setting up for an mj garden too. Check em out, they'll offer a wealth of advice, and are easy to read and enact in your own back yard... Heck, I only have a tiny courtyard and use bloody foam boxes and perlite... If I can grow good veggies, anyone can. :o

hmm well the thing is i already drink heaps of water when stoned coz i get dry mouth, this latest batch seems to be really bad for that, i have no idea what strain it is but its not the best smoke ive had, just something to tide me over till my babys grow fat n juicy buds hopefully :D

when i eat healthy food when stoned it usually doesnt satsify me, i crave pizza and chocolates the most. Maybe its to do with my blood sugar levels in general, about 10 yrs ago i used to get fluctuating levels apparantly due to having diabetes in the family genetics and my drinking a large bottle of coke everyday, that stuff has huge amounts of sugar in it, way too much for anyones body to cope with ingesting those amounts without some problems. So i cut back to about 1 can a day and diet drinks and levelled out after that. So maybe my body needs a quick fix of carbos, i might try sweet fruit juice for awhile at least its semi healthy and will be sweet enough to stop cravings. I love strawberrys too, but with ice cream or dipped in icing sugar or chocolate dip :o

Munchies is more of an indica thing than a sativa thing, but different things for different people.

The munchies usually dissappears after a few years of heavy smoking, although you wouldnt know it looking at my missus, these days pot tends to stop my stomach churning and fill me up a bit when I'm dying of hunger.

If your getting fat the key is to buy shitty health food and hide your keys before you get stoned. then you got nothing to eat when you got the munchies. Or buy nice food, but food that needs to be prepared before eating, packet food and shit, if you have food like that you will get stoned and go to the kitchen, but realise your not really hungry enough to bother with all that effort.

Also growing strawberries is great, they taste so much better when you can pick them straight from the bush when they are totally ready.

you see strawbs you buy have been picked early and ripen in the packet on the way, nothing beats vine ripened bright red strawbs, except maybe fresh mulberries.

Who used to smoke in the mulberries as a kid?? man everyone smokes in the mulberries, its great, great coverage and privacy and wind cover, and comes with its own tasty munchies.

Edited by white_cluster

Munchies is more of an indica thing than a sativa thing, but different things for different people.

Maybe that's why I don't get munchies. I always assumed that the munchies was something that people give themselves permissions to do when stoned - the same way some people can only speak openly when drunk.

If your getting fat the key is to buy shitty health food and hide your keys before you get stoned. then you got nothing to eat when you got the munchies

yeah but im one of those surburbanites that has a 7/11 just up the road, see i have no discipline either coz i know if i dont stock up with goodies before smoking from the supermarket i will end up paying twice as much at 7/11 coz i will not be able to resist the urge to get chocolate and corn chips and pepsi and i would die if all i had was like a friggin lettuce in the fridge to eat :P :o

wish i was one of those guys who was 6ft and weedy looking, can eat all the crap they want and not put on weight, coz i have noticed there are alot of stoners that fit that description, my mate is one of them lucky prick....cept he has really bad acne to make up for it :D

Important Information

By using the community in any way you agree to our Terms of Use and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.