Why is cannabis illegal?

I'm new to the cannabis scene but do find it fascinating, not only as a substance but also the botany behind it and how you can have so many strains of the same plant by harvesting it differently. Just thought I'd ask you guys why you think its illegal? I mean I compare it to tobacco/alcohol that cause death, destruction, chaos in some cases and the fact that alcohol is scientifically linked to liver problems - not to mention lung, cancer and overall health problems tobacco causes (and is proven). Yet there are no studies of cannabis causing death, liver problems, its never been successfully linked to lung/cancer issues from what I've read and not only that it also has a lot of health benefits while tobacco/alcohol have none. One fact that springs to mind was something about the air ways to the lungs, tobacco smoke contracts them and can be permanent over time but somehow smoking cannibis can actually expand them allowing more oxygen to flow through ..(and MJ :D).

So why is cannabis such a taboo subject in politics/laws? And for conversation sake is it ever prescribed medically in Australia?

because death and destruction equals money. Cannabis heals. Alcohol is such a stupid, mind numbing, destructive drug which does nothing for ones mind, body and soul. Anyone can grow it so its too had to tax. More money is made off its prohibition, than what could/would be if it was taxed. If the truth was ever to be told about cannabis there would be a lot of red faces. I am sure I got more.

Good points. I'm 22 and I'm the odd one out when it comes to my mates and drinking, I don't mind the odd cocktail or something I haven't tried before but chugging booze and acting like a dickhead just isn't me. What does the government say is their reason for making cannabis illegal? I guess there could always be a law reform where as in California, if you were genuinely in need of marijuana for medical reasons you would be able to purchase it from a specified location - this way it could be properly regulated, people who enjoyed growing it could become licensed to supply medical marijuana shops and what not. That being said it would also allow them to keep some for themselves so win/win .. the grower sells stock, makes $$ and keeps some for his/her own needs (discretely I'm sure) and the government would obviously enforce a tax on it ..which = profit for them. It could be the same as someone growing vegetables, demand/supply and I'm sure they take what they need to feed their families. Just seems like a very conflicting situation with a lot more pros than cons.
  • Upvote 1

Goes to show you how fucked up western society is. Not that im complaining too much, as I do value my freedom. But all this hypocrisy is killing me... Whats worse is that your parents are all brainwashed with this anti cannabis shit. Proof that propaganda really works. Honestly, im disgusted by the way Governments handle drugs in general. Drugs dont ruin your life, the government does by putting you in jail... If the government was to take the place of the drug dealers, then substances would be subject to quality control (for example, your Meth wouldnt be coocked in sum fuckers bathtub) And they'd only be able to sell it to over 18's or via prescription. Prohibition can suck a dick! It doesnt work. and If I ever get done for so much as possesion, imma start a fukin movement against this down rite Immoral shit.

I think its in Sweden.. or Switzerland.. they are running (or ran) a trial. People were overdosing on heroin far too often or it was laced with something that killed them - they ended up opening shoot up clinics where pharmaceutical grade heroin (yep it exists) was administered professionally and well.. as safe as possible.

I mean at the end of the day when it comes to things like Meth/Heroin who influences you to try it? A mate who thinks its kick ass.. I struggle to imagine someone going to a doctor and saying "Umm.. I'd like to try some heroin for the first time?" .. but yes fucked up governments none the less.

(Theres a documentary on it somewhere on youtube I think - the heroin situation I mean)