Flood&drain vs Recirc

Guest Wilderbud

I think you mean flood to waste and not flood and drain - you top up the nutrients in a flood and drain reservoir the same way you do with a recirculating setup and both are easilly renewed or flushed [the recirc may be better in this area as more water means more cleaning of salts etc - recirc systems usually have a deep pot]. I wouldnt compare them as theyre both basically the same [they use mediums and the same concentration of nutrients] although I guess a bubbler is better by a small margin as there would be a more consistent concentration of air+water.

NFT and Aeroponics is even better than a traditional hydro setup if you want good growth rate although I wouldnt try either without a few years of growing experience and good quality grow equipment. :)

I think you mean flood to waste and not flood and drain -

If flood to waste really is a real method, the guy who invented it should be shot.

anyhoo, flood and drain is recirculating like everyone says, do you mean flood and drain .vs dripper setups?? or recirculating vs non-recirculating?? either question the answer is that they are both good when used properly.

This is just my personal opinion but I have always preferred flood and drain to drip based recirculating systems.

My first grow many years ago was a flood and drain system. Growing NL5 x Haze couple of 1000 watt lights, 15L buckets, got 60 plus oz in 4 months.But this was a real pain in the arse with hoses getting blocked by root sturcture. But the NL5 x Haze loved the flood and drain, never seen anything like it since.

SO I switched to a flood and drain table, cut back on veg time, and grew silver pearl get about 20 OZ in 10-12 weeks.

After this I changed to drip based recirculating systems due to housing changes. It was easy to maintain but never produced the same kinds of yields or as fast as the table.

As a rule with a recirculating system I always flushed every two weeks.