am i germing right? any tips?

Hey guys,

Ordered some beans from demon seeds last week, wow they got here quick 5 working days!:)

ok So being a new grower i'm attempting to germinate these seeds, i've got afghan kush, LSD, and vanilla kush and a shitty bagseed

found a unused tupperware box around the house and put a good layer of perlite through the bottom, got 4 rockwool cubes and soaked them in ph'd water to 5.8-6 (using strips so hard to tell)

put the seeds in pushed down slightly and covered with some rockwool... for the first day i didnt put a drainage hole in the tupperware container, however after abit of reading i decided to put one in the middle as rockwool holds moisture well. its get real cold here at night so i run a small heater and keep the temp between 24-28 during night,

being unpatient i had abit of a sticky beak and pulled some rockwool aside this morning with some sterile tweezers and all 3 seeds i ordered have a good tap root shooting down, the local bagseed hasnt cracked yet however,

After abit more reading i found a should be putting a light under there now? so i temporarily hooked up a 30w cfl hopefully it helps? i've attached some pictures and would love feedback:)

just wondering if i should take the lid off the tupperware box now with the light on or leave it on?

once they get established i plan on moving them into a 50/50 coco and perlite mix and then vegging under my 400w hps wardrobe setup:) or will they be ok under a couple of cfls?

i plan on buying one of those ph meters where it stays in the soil, has anyone used these and can they give any feedback on them? the strips are abit of a pain but do the job, i plan on getting a EC meter down the track, how important is it for me being a first time grower?

cheers guys attached some photos:)

post-44459-0-83222800-1308538007_thumb.jpg

post-44459-0-49770100-1308538058_thumb.jpg

post-44459-0-10841900-1308538111_thumb.jpg

post-44459-0-57169700-1308538175_thumb.jpg

Hi

If this is your first ever grow then you may make the same mistake 99% of beginners make, After going to all the effort to get those little precious beans

from our good friends around the globe or from some stanky ass bagseed.

Whatever the case may be this seems to be the most commen mistake or problems, and ofcourse the grower is never to blame (MY ASS).

So some people may disagree but results speak for themselves.

Deciding which medium to raise your beans in seems to be like the million doller question to some people, If so swing me the Johnny Cash.

I would start them in a nice quality seed raising mix, use whatever pot/container you like as long as its not clear and has a bit of depth to it.

Personally I use Seed Raising mix (Searls) with a sprinkle of worm castings mixed through for all my seed grows, hydro or soil.

Though to be honest I havent planted beans in ages, As clones are obviosly your goal, And then a Mum or three will be in your near future.

Had my mum's now for Donkey's.

Wouldn't trade em for the world.

As for your lighting I would piss those cfl's off straight away, and put them under the 400w. Start at a meter and work your way down over the days till they are happy, you don't want your plant reaching for light, but you dont want it too close either.

Also in ny opinion the whole EC, PH issue is alot of people downfalls too. People are always adjusting then readjusting all the ph and ec levels till they wouldnt have a clue where there at so the have to flush and then generely do it all over again. As long as you follow the directions on of the nutriant bottles and flush with plain water once a week/fornight you'll be sweet

Just keep it all as simple as possible, the plant will tell you what it wants not a pen.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by hoop

Hanging a light over a sealed box is going to raise the temperature... even if it's cold, it's probably better to have the lid ajar to prevent over heating. Once the sprouts are up take the lid off for good.

As Hoop suggested, keeping things as simple as possible will raise your chances of success. Media vary in the way they hold water, so with seeds, start them in the medium you intend to grow them in, eg. if you are going to eventually have them in large pots of coco and perlite, start them in little pots of coco and perlite.

Hi

If this is your first ever grow then you may make the same mistake 99% of beginners make, After going to all the effort to get those little precious beans

from our good friends around the globe or from some stanky ass bagseed.

Whatever the case may be this seems to be the most commen mistake or problems, and ofcourse the grower is never to blame (MY ASS).

So some people may disagree but results speak for themselves.

Deciding which medium to raise your beans in seems to be like the million doller question to some people, If so swing me the Johnny Cash.

I would start them in a nice quality seed raising mix, use whatever pot/container you like as long as its not clear and has a bit of depth to it.

Personally I use Seed Raising mix (Searls) with a sprinkle of worm castings mixed through for all my seed grows, hydro or soil.

Though to be honest I havent planted beans in ages, As clones are obviosly your goal, And then a Mum or three will be in your near future.

Had my mum's now for Donkey's.

Wouldn't trade em for the world.

As for your lighting I would piss those cfl's off straight away, and put them under the 400w. Start at a meter and work your way down over the days till they are happy, you don't want your plant reaching for light, but you dont want it too close either.

Also in ny opinion the whole EC, PH issue is alot of people downfalls too. People are always adjusting then readjusting all the ph and ec levels till they wouldnt have a clue where there at so the have to flush and then generely do it all over again. As long as you follow the directions on of the nutriant bottles and flush with plain water once a week/fornight you'll be sweet

Just keep it all as simple as possible, the plant will tell you what it wants not a pen.

Just my 2 cents.

thanks guys really appreciate the replys, guess its each to there own ay, so many different ways guess its just finding a solution that suits me, I think going with coco beads as a bottom layer and 50/50 perlite coco mix might do for a start? looking at keeping it simple for the first grow or 2 then experimenting from there

attached a few more photos of the seeds germing, seems lsd and vanilla kush are off :) havent really touched them just being ph'ing my tap water to around 5.5 and giving them a light mist twice a day, is iot safe to be leaving the lidd off at this stage or should i put the lid back on until theyre fully out of the rockwool?

cheers and look foward to any replies :)

went and got 3 10inch pots today for when they eventually move into the wardrobe 400w but the buggers just dont fit so i have abit of trimming to do of the pots hehe:)

sorry about the quality of the photos guys, using a crappy digi camera as the last one got dropped in mud 4wdin:)

was also chatting to the lady at the local hydro shop today, and i was enquiring whether i need a EC meter and how important it is for first time growers/newbies like myself, she said aslong as i follow the instructions carefully on the nutes and start off with 1/4 strength i shouldnt have a problem?

post-44459-0-30682800-1308638939_thumb.jpg

post-44459-0-34877100-1308638979_thumb.jpg

post-44459-0-81623600-1308639012_thumb.jpg

Edited by havik_racing

hay looks good you have 4 holes in the top should be rite till they shoot up , but id site that box on top of a tv top box or something like that couse dont think much haet will get under that so probly help ???

yeah mate i think the heat is ok atm, every 4 hours or so ill boil the kettle and put some of the excess steam from boiling it in the cupboard its in, i also have a small heater i turn on at night to keep it nice and toasty:)