Net pot size =

RastaKeeg

Guest Wilderbud

In a net pot [assuming you mean pot with a mass of holes instead of solid sides - heh] that size it doesnt really get rootbound but you wont get the netpot off after a few weeks and when its a few foot the roots will get suffocated in the holes.

If youve got your pots sitting in a container which is being flooded and drained make sure the roots are not in the light by using expanded clay or black plastic [or something similarly non-messy] to darken the rootmass.

Use the tiny netpots for clones/seeds only and transplant into 150mm [6 inch] pots when some roots are an inch through the holes - plant at the top inch of the pot also so that your rootball has plenty of soil under it.

its impossible to get rootbound in a netpot. netpots are used just to support the plant and the roots grow through into the main medium, like bubblers or flood & drain, nft or whatever.

its not a good idea to try to transplant out of netpots as the roots grow through the holes nad its impossible to do without damaging them. 100mm netpots are good for plants to about 2 feet, any bigger and should go to 150mm or 200mm netpot. you can grow any size plant off a 100mm netpot really, but it may become a bit unstable and you may need to fix down the rim of the pot to prevent tipping over. Usually by this time the root mass keeps it steady anyway.

Pot socks are a completely different thing weekprik. They have nothing whatsoever to do with netpots as far as I know. They're used to make life easier when you're taking out plants after harvest. You can simply lift out the bag from the pot, (they come in several sizes, from quite small to fucking huge) all the roots and media are inside, and the pot just needs a quick scrub with bleach and ready to go for the next one. You can then either empty the bag or if you're that wasteful throw it out, media, roots and all. I don't do this, but it does make things a little easier and cleaner... It also acts as a sort of filter to keep small media particles out of drain piping. But it's designed for media based run-to-waste or recirculating hydro systems, it doesn't have anything to do with netpots... don't know where you got that one.

I'm not sure what you mean by the pro's and con's of netpots.... In what system? Under what circumstances? :rolleyes:

Guest Wilderbud
Netpots let your nutrients run through them easier than with standard pots [flood these and your medium can float easilly] and they keep the medium in a small space - theyre perfect for NFT/Ebb&Flow/Bubblers with a small amount of expanded clay - try hydro at its finest if you havent. ;)

Guest weekprik

I have flood and drain stacker units normally I just plant in to this direct, but this time I put in 2 net pots So just unsure of what they would do , compared to using none at all in hydroton,

Oh I thought the pot sox were a liner of sorts for the net pots, boy I got some fucked up thoughts OL,

Guest Wilderbud

Pot socks keep the medium within the pot but the pots dont drain as easilly as when not using them - Id prefer to use sphagnum moss to stop the medium from draining away as it has good drainage already.

I really hated the mess that vermiculture+perlite made in my first ebb & flow setup so if I was to do it again Id definately put socks on the pots and expanded clay would fill in the space left by the pots. I used expanded clay but transplanted plants grown from either vermiculture+perlite or jiffy pellets and the crap from both ended up in my reservoir more than the expanded clay [perlite being really sloppy after just a few weeks of use - never again in a reservoir-based system - straight expanded clay is great].

I really hated the mess that vermiculture+perlite made in my first ebb & flow setup so if I was to do it again Id definately put socks on the pots and expanded clay would fill in the space left by the pots.

If you use socks you will rootbound your plants it yields will suffer. the whole idea of netpots is to allow the roots to grow out into main medium. if you are not gonna do that you may as well use normal pots.