Whats wrong with my seeds?

Hey peoples, virgin poster here.

I am a little ignorant with a few green things, so please be nice..

I grew 4 plants, 2 male and 2 female .. I wanted tonnes of seeds so I could grow more so I sacrificed any nice smoke I could of had and pollinated my females.

Got lots of seed, and have only had about 2 of 100 or so sprout. Usually I just find them in purchased weed.

Now It's never been rocket science to me to sprout seeds.

The only thing different I have done this time is harvest my own seeds.

My questions are -

Could I have picked the seeds too early? - even though they looked like they were bursting out of their sacs.

or did I plant them too early and need to dry them out etc? I pretty much plucked them and tried to germinate straight away.

or can you get a dodgy batch of seeds? - I would think unlikely from 2 different plants.

I have tried a few different methods to sprout them , but usually have luck in wet paper towels.

Cheers for the help - frenzix

Heya frenzix :thumbsup:

Drop in and introduce yourself in the Dr Livingstone I Presume page. Customary to do so when you join up.

Your questions...

Could I have picked the seeds too early? - even though they looked like they were bursting out of their sacs.

possible but not likely if you can't crush them between your fingers. especially if the seed casing thing was ready to drop the seeds.

or did I plant them too early and need to dry them out etc? I pretty much plucked them and tried to germinate straight away.

drying out would have helped - it's never come up before but i'm guessing they need to dry out completely before waiting to be planted and watered?

or can you get a dodgy batch of seeds? - I would think unlikely from 2 different plants.

not likely with that number of seeds and multiple plants.

Those seed look pretty good to me.

They seem fully developed, no deformaties, nice shape and colour and as Jimbo said "If the seeds are hard, brown and stripy then you let them develop properly".

I've never taken a seed directly from a plant and immeadiately planted it and this is a first I've heard of it being done too.

All of my seed has been fully dried, even aged in some cases. I've put them away in a safe place where nobody would ever find them (even me) :doh: , years later finding them whilst looking for something else, so these have been well dried. But fresh, not sure.

It could be dodgey seeds. Ive heard of plants that have gone to seed but that all the seed were sterile. Its a possibility

Merl1n

dry em out for at least a week b4 trying to germ em.. that being said all the seeds i made this year have been tested only 1 day after harvesting em and all germed.

if you are having trouble put your seeds in the freezer for a week and then try germing them with the paper towel tech and make sure they are resting on something warm

OK seeds still shit even after putting in a greenhouse with heatpad etc etc .. only had 2 germ. Lucky some white widow seeds arrived from BC seedking .. nice stealth and more seeds than ordered. Will keep you updated. If these fail then I need to go back to school.