seeds - fertilized or not?

New Grower, SE Queensland, grew some great heads, now drying...In the bottom of my drying container (only used for this grow), I've found say, 30 seeds......but, these were heads! where did the seeds come from? Don't the heads have to get with a male (ie be fertilized) before they produce seed? I had one male, but pulled him out as soon as his sex was evident, and the ladies did not appear to have anything to fertilize at that stage. If there is such a thing as seed produced from unfertilized ladies, and if so, will they sprout next season?

thanks to everyone's response...come to think of it, most of the weed I buy, always has some seeds in the bottom of the baggy....and I planted those for this outdoor grow, and there were more females than males....I assume most tightarses like me, grow from bag seed anyway.....

Another Q to outdoor growers, but indoorseys may have a view as well, is there a massive difference ( in terms of the quality of the stone) between bagseed and seeds you buy?...and as a first time seed buyer, looking for a top quality experience, could any and all recommend their preferred seed?

Edited by kerry1