G,day troops.

Stay with me, it's a bit convoluted. I grew my first hermie this year, had never even seen one in over 30 years, so it was a bit of a rarity for me. It ended life at a mates house where they are doing it a bit tough at the mo. But I digress. This hermie pollinated one of my other females, also in a pot, and I have collected the seed. Now can anyone out there tell me, with some sort of surety, what will be the result of these seeds if I go ahead and grow them on? Will they grow as hermies or what will be the result? They are big, dark, fat seeds and look too good to throw away. Both plants are from the same strain, N.Q. x P.N.G. and this produces a great, smooth smoke. Any help here would be appreciated, thanx. :guitar:

Edited by auntynorm

Okay...opinion time!!! The hermie threw some pollen, which pollinated another female...cool!!! Effectively you now have a feminized seed. Herm pollen can ONLY carry the xx chromosones, which are female. Male plants are xy.

The fact it pollinated ANOTHER plant doen't matter...the offspring (seed) can ONLY be female...but it too can hermie 'cause it carries the hermie gene. If the mother plant is stable then the likelyhood of this occurring is remote. Herms can happen as a result of evironmental conditions or physical.

If everything is ideal then it probably won't herm...depending on the mum!!!

Bear in mind that breeders sell feminized seeds which, in fact, are stable females forced to throw some bananas (forced herm).

Most of my grows outdoors are from my own hermed Red Devil crosses which NEVER throw a banana. I can plant as many as I want knowing full well they ALL will be female plants.

Hope this clears it up for you.

That being said, even "Feminized" seed can throw males.

Indeed that is true,

But I think that is generally

because the seeds came from a shit seed company on the band wagon,

or the plants suffered stress from the grower or outdoodr conditions,

and therefore turned male.

On a different note, This happened to me, but I was fortunate enough

to cross polinate a Northern Lights #5 and a Blueberry,

The result has been truley exceptional.

All 5 seeds grown to date have all been female,

but that ration could change with the other 95 or so :scratchin:

However, they have all grown with very unique growth,

including bud density, smell, THC quantity etc.

If you have plenty, grow a whole heap out, find a winner,

and clone that motherfucker good!

Cyclone -

Now can anyone out there tell me, with some sort of surety, what will be the result of these seeds if I go ahead and grow them on? Will they grow as hermies or what will be the result?

Hi norm,.....the amount of crap on the net has made this confusing for most people.:thumbdown:

If the seeds will be any good to grow depends on a few things. Main one being weather the 'hermi' was a true hermaphrodite or if it was a sex-reversed plant.

Sex genetics isn't simple in cannabis as there is more genes involved than just the X and Y chromosomes but in simple terms these are the kinds of plants you can get in cannabis categorized by sex....

1: true female..........these plants are genetically female and can only ever grow true female flowers ie. buds

2: true male ............these plants are genetically male and can only ever grow true male flowers ie balls

3: true hermaphrodite......these plants are genetically both male and female and can grow both true male and true female flowers on the same plant ie balls and buds.

4: sex-reversed........these are genetically male or genetically female plants that can grow both pollen and pistils on the same plant. In the case of sex-reversed females they grow pollen sacks 'bannanas' in place of pistils in the female flowers and in the case of sex-reversed males, pistils in place of stamen in the male flowers. (this can happen naturally, from stress, or can be induced with chemicals such as silver thiosulfate)

If a true male fertilizes a true female you will get on average a 50/50 ratio of males to females in the seeds and little to no chance of 'hermi' plants.

If a true hermaphrodite is the source of the pollen or is the mother, any seed you get will have a high chance of growing hermaphrodite plants.

If a sex reversed female pollinates a true female or a sex reversed female, all the seeds will be female. This is how seed banks make 'feminised seed'. If it was the result of natural or stress induced reversal though the seeds will also carry 'sex-reversing' genes and any offspring will also be susceptible to sex-reversing.

If a sex-reversed male pollinates a true female or sex-reversed female the seeds will be 50/50 ratio of male to female. Again, if it was the result of natural or stress induced reversal though the seeds will also carry 'sex-reversing' genes and any offspring will also be susceptible to sex-reversing.

Pollinating sex-reversed males gets confusing :bangin:

Hope that didn't just confuse you more :bongon:

Peace MM

• Upvote 2