Brix Meter

Kash

Anyone got any experience with brix meters? My mate, the one who grows has been given a new product to try called "Brix Plus".

It apparently helps retain optimum brix levels(carb0hydrate) when drying.

george Cevantes has been advertising Brix Meters of late as well...previously they were the domain of wine growers.. here is some info from his site:

A Brix meter takes indoor growing to new highs! It is one of the most useful tools a grower can own. This elementary refractometer measures natural brix (sugar) content. The simple test is an excellent barometer of overall plant health and fertilizer uptake. Widely used in the wine industry to test sugar content in grapes, growers use a Brix meter to determine plant health by measuring the sugar level.

The concept is simple, the more food - sugar - a plant has, the stronger and better it yields. Catch nutrient problems days, even weeks before they are visibly detectable by measuring brix. Low brix readings (below 10) usually indicates a lack of nutrients either from toxic conditions or short supply. A reading above 12 signifies a good “immune system” or a very healthy plant. This test is tops when growers want to get the most out of a crop by fine tuning nutrient uptake. When nutrients are available at the right time, the result is a heavy harvest every crop.

To test brix content, roll a leaf into a ball. Squeeze the balled-up leaf with a pair of clean pliers to extract a few drops of juice. Place the fresh cannabis juice on the inclined viewing plane of the refractometer and look through the viewfinder to determine brix content. Every grower who has seen the brix refractometer in action, had to have one

Regards

Kash

It sounds like a feasable idea, the only problem one can find with such a utility is, how would one adjust the nutrient uptake to allow for more absorption and greater growth?

One can not, as this is up to the plant. Even under the more ideal conditions any plant can decide to give up all hope and die.

And the growth of ones plant is also determined by his grow setup and style of care.

It may help, but it's another one of those unnecessary products.

From my understanding it isn ot so much a matter of increasing the brix level as it is for checking for optimum levels..As it says in the blurb..low brix levels is a sign of something going wrong..either in the nutes or a toxicity...and it will show up in the brix level long before it does as a foliage/root/appearance symptom.

Problems in sugar levels can be present for 10-21 days before any physical symptom may show up..so having a utility that allows you to keep regular tabs on the brix level(which means everything is working nice) seems like a worthwhile investment to me.

It may help, but it's another one of those unnecessary products.

yeah your right..kind of like toilet paper

Regards

Kash

Brix Meters are used when you want to see if a new nutrient or additive is really working for you in 1 weeks time instead of having to go through the entire cycle. You test the sugar content in the plant before you use the new nutrient and then you can test again in a week and know if it is helping or hurting your plants.

all though i never bag a new product before testing. I have seen a bottle of this new product a couple of days ago.

The instructions said soak fresh fruit in product then dry normal -----> this does not sit right with me-------------> if you cure the product correct no chemicals are required to get that really smooth hit

Yeah it doesnt smell too nice either. But my mate dipped some and it still smelt just fine after drying.Its supposed to preserve the brix level or something..helping to retain weight.. adding to overall weight..apparently the bloke who invented it is working on another product specially for the last 3 weeks..A few people who have tried Brix Plus have been impressed from what I hear.

I dont think its chemical..from the smell it seemed organic.Not sure though.

I will get some more detailed info when I speak to him next.

Regards

Kash

Guest elefunk_delivers

Brix +

is an Organic solution u dip your buds in, to enhance flavour and weight..

Directions Say -

1ltr per 500 grams

Cuts buds down... till final trim..

pour mix in shallow tray and place buds and leave for 15-30min

then hang and dry like usual..

Ele

Edited by elefunk_delivers