Revegging advice appreciated.

Hi all, been a while since I asked anything, and this has been wracking my little brain for a bit. I remeber WC saying something about experimenting with rootpruning bubbler plants, something a lot less stressful than the comparitive effect on a media based plant.

I've had to thin out the canopy substantially on Bacchus, the bubbler plant, and about 1/3 of the total canopy and vegetation is now pruned away, with the major branches and buds turning to veg now. The rootmass, whilst large, still has some room to grow, but I was wondering whether a root prune at this stage would be a good idea, to allow for fresh root growth to come through, as well as getting rid of any possible oversupply of nutrients and water to the plant because it's so much smaller than the roots are used to supporting.... I know this doesn't make much sense, but hopefully someone will work out what the heck I'm on about and be able to give me some answers. lol

If anyone can advise on methods of rootpruning, or any particular tips or tricks to make the process easier and less stressful to the plants, then I'll be most appreciative.....

All going well, these plants should be cloned out in less than a week, and then these genes will be spread around to others.... The healthier and more vigourous I can get the mothers before cloning, the better.

Thanks to any and all replies. :o

Guest Field_of_Light

HI Luke.....revegging is so easy its not funny....but different methods Im sure require simple basics....

Are you able to get bigger pots to put new root mass in? This allows for the massive root systems which will develop when revegging and flowering em again...

If not I have root pruned before...probably only about 20% of total mass and only because it blocked the bottom of the pots drainage...plants didnt like it but got over it after about 3 days...

Ive heard from people not to trim the tap root...but feck knows how ya find it amongst all that root mass...

I havent root pruned dwc tho so things might be different....

If you are root pruning them I would drop of the nute levels...just a bit so that they dont get more shocked...

But insaying that my mate grew his babies flowered em then revegged em without worrying about increasing pot size or anything...got mega yield of qualty buds...and when he pulled the root mass outa the pots it was like a slab of concrete...root locked to the max!

nah dont rootprune it. I just rootprune to keep bonsai mums.

whats the reveg, where did reveg come from??? :o lol

Im not thinking tonight, anyways when you reveg make sure to take as much bud off as possible, leave only tiny bottom buds, cos a new shoot will grow out of every calyx.

when you rootprune hack off a good chunk of the rootball say 1/3, I just do it on my mums which are perl/verm passive resevoir hydro. So most of the rootmass is in the bottom so I just pull the plant out and take chunks out of the bottom rootball, then put a bit of perl/verm in the bottom of the pot and plonk the plant back in and feed it 1/2 strength veg nutes and a coupla drops of superthrive. usually cut off about 1/3 of the top of the plant at the same time and thin it all out. acoupla leaves might go brown and curl up but they always live through it. When I get cam one day I post pics of roots coming off mums.

Anyway I dont really get the question but the only reason you should ever rootprune is to bonsai a plant. Dont rootprune while revegging, they need all that rootmass, big roots = healthy plants and big buds. give em good amounts of nutes too. i haven't revegged since I used flood and drain, and back then I did the full 20ml per 5ltr so in a bubbler I'd do it at whatever you ran it at during veg.

You should put that thing outside in a big 100ltr drum when its revegged and harvest a monster at spring. :(

hope I answered some or made sense. I dont like spidermites. As for taproots I've never seen one , not even on a outdoor plant. definetely not on a clone.

to allow for fresh root growth to come through, as well as getting rid of any possible oversupply of nutrients and water to the plant because it's so much smaller than the roots are used to supporting.... I know this doesn't make much sense

the plant will need alot off nutrient to reveg itself, that doesn't make much sense. when revegging a winter plant you gotta manure the ground really good and get alot of nitrogen to the plants, i never done it or nothing though outdoors. Done it heaps indoors its a waste of space and time though, better off keeping clones of everything.

White Cluster, I read a piece on bonsai-ing mothers on overgrow ages back. Someone had like 20 mums in a tiny space, I mean they did a full bonsaid job on these plants. It looks impressive, no dubt they'd produce decent sized cuttings for clones, and they take up so small a space, like where just one or two mothers would normally be, they had heaps.

It might even look a whole lot better in the horrid even of explaining it all to some bloody court.

How far do you take bonsai-ing your plants? Sounds to me like you have no real problem keeping them a managable size without too much bullshit. The person I saw the article on went to loads of trouble, and it did show by a great result, but I ddin't want to go to the extremes they did.

I guess what I'm asking is just how small do you manage to keep your mums with such a straight forward approach?

cheers

rob

Guest Wilderbud
If you cut the tap root it will stunt the plant and if you cut the air roots it will slow the growth down. You can use nutrient starvation and root-bounding [15mm (6") pots] to slow growth or stunt a plant also. Dont cut fan leaves - read a bonsai guide on the net. lol

Root pruning is an easy track to stressing your plant(s).

If you are growing au-natural(soil) then just buy a bigger pot, if you are growing hydroponically in trays then the roots will be fine. Bubblers on the other hand should take well to some gentle root pruning.

Don't go overboard.

White Cluster, I read a piece on bonsai-ing mothers on overgrow ages back. Someone had like 20 mums in a tiny space, I mean they did a full bonsaid job on these plants. It looks impressive, no dubt they'd produce decent sized cuttings for clones, and they take up so small a space, like where just one or two mothers would normally be, they had heaps.

It might even look a whole lot better in the horrid even of explaining it all to some bloody court.

How far do you take bonsai-ing your plants? Sounds to me like you have no real problem keeping them a managable size without too much bullshit. The person I saw the article on went to loads of trouble, and it did show by a great result, but I ddin't want to go to the extremes they did.

I guess what I'm asking is just how small do you manage to keep your mums with such a straight forward approach?

cheers

rob

I dont know how tiny a space your talking, but I have 4 mothers per square foot. I use the standard 150mm nursery pots in kitty litter trays, you fit 6 pots per tray and they cost 2 bucks each.

But yeah, I got 3 shelves with 3-4 2ft flouros per shelf in a standard wardrobe, 18mums per shelf. at the moment I got 17 so its all nice. only 1 shelf lit.

Yeah the courts will fuck my arse. oh well, I'm actually looking at cutting down to 12 mothers only when I figure em all out.

The main way to make mums easy is to abuse them, keep them barely alive, let em go nice and yellow and drop a bit of leaf before you feed them and other than that feed them plain water. dont be scared to chop at things harshly. That way you dont need to rootprune so often.

It probably sounds easy when I described it, but it is very messy and time consuming. Its a pain in the arse, the worst bit of growing, if japanese people find it relaxing they are fucking mad.

Thanks for the advice all, I think I'll be repotting tommy into a slightly larger pot and I might make a minor trim of bacchus roots in the bubbler.

Tommy has already reshot, (this is the third time for these plants, doing okay eh?) and bachhus is just starting, she was always a little behind her sister plant. I'm not going to flower these out again, as I'm a little worried about their vigour, but instead this is a cloning exercise. I'm keeping these plants for the next generations, and some select growers will be receiving some to grow on if they like.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. I'm taking pictures so when I can get the net back on at home I'll do some posting to show ya all what's been happening in the cabinet of force.

:wacko: