If forced to make a choice, is better to harvest early or late?

Situation: my 3 outdoor plants in northern NSW have produced reasonable buds that have had clear trichomes visible for a few weeks now. None appear to have changed colour yet, though many of the small hairs that protrude from the nodes have turned reddish orange.

Due to family emergency, I have to head back to WA for 3 to 4 weeks on Monday.

Question: based on people's experience, am I better advised to harvest NOW (slightly early) - or to wait 3-4 weeks and return to whatever I happen to find?

It seems the general consensus is that once half the trichomes have gone amber, THC starts deteriorating rapidly. I'd hate to return to plants that have lost most of their potency because I was unable to harvest before the "use by" date. As a newbie, I just have no idea how long it's likely to be before that "use by" date hits. If it's not likely to be for another few weeks, it may be advisable to wait. All insights appreciated.

take half and leave healf

that way u get a bit of a variation in effect

all the best

bil

Also good advice - thanks. Has anyone who's "partially harvested" an outdoor plant and left it over winter had success with the plant taking off again in the spring (keeping in mind we don't get frost where I am)? That would be a big incentive to leave some green on the plant.

Depends on what sort of smoke you're looking for... If you want a "head" high, then harvest early. On the other hand, if you're after a "couch-lock" effect, I would leave them. Best of luck as to what you decide to do.

Sm0k3r

That's a great insight for me. I definitely prefer the Jon Stewart (in the movie Half Baked) "enhancement" effect to "couch lock". I always thought that was about a sativa (head high) vs an indica (couch lock) strain. Thanks, I've leaned so much in such a short time on this forum!