bilge pumps

I got 2 bilge pumps sitting around I wanna use. they outta a boat and I'm wondering if I can just put a plug on the end of the wires. they got two wires brown and black, I assume the brown wire is positive.

this is what the label says.

first mate bilge pump 12v dc max amp draw 1.5 use 2amp fuse.

anyways, If I chuck a plug on this thing and turn it on am I gonna explode??

yer i hope oldmanmozz's & pipes warnings are sufficient, but i was thinking of bilge pumps the other day for hydro use, alot cheaper than fish tank pumps and move alot more water.

you could also run 12v appliances off car batteries & for something like that i believe you said it draws 1.5A you could even run it off a 2Acar battery charger worth about $40, just not with a 100% duty cycle like 240V appliances.

Just a thought.

Don't use a bilge pump for any hydroponics. Bilge pumps are self lubricating and allow for an excess of lubrication to flow out through their outlet.

If you wish for your plants to enjoy a lovely lunch of nutrients and oil go ahead. Couldn't help but lubricate the parts.

I use a 30L/min 'Johnson' Bilge pump for my hydro setup. It to has the black and brown that you mentioned. I think the brown is the active wire.

I use one of those transformers that plug into the wall. I just strip the wires, join and seal with tape. make sure its above the water line.

You dont have to worry about being electicuted though only 12V DC also the DC motors are much more reliable than the AC pumps (Not constantly replacing Impellers)

The motor on my pump is sealed and there is no problem with oil, lubricant leaking out. I'm not sure if yours is the same.

luck to ya.. :wacko: