Flushing

Hey everyone

Just read THIS THREAD.

It brings up some VERY good points about how good flushing .really. is....

Everyone knows hydro reacts alot quicker so can starving it of food for 2 weeks really be that good? How would we feel with no food for 2 weeks....

Has anyone used that Ozi tonic stuff... ment to be for flushing your plants... Im thinking about getting some. Has anyone used MonsterBud by the same company its a flower additive you add it around the 5th week i think so i guess its like PK 13:14

Has anyone tried flushing for just 5 days or so? If hydro reacts so quick 5 days should be heaps.

Cheers

The bloke I know that grows never flushes.

He believes that if you dry it slowly over the course of 14 days..the last of the nutes gets used in the dying process(first 4 days).

Now, everyone who tries his buds, reckons he is the only descent grower around and all comment on the taste,lack of headaches etc, this is due to his drying process I believe..

His mate used to work in the botanical gardens as a horti dude and is as eccentric about dope as a mad hatter , and he doesnt flush either.

Im not saying flushing is crap, but it definately has no bearing on how the pot tastes or smokes..this is the drying/curing process.

The only thing I heard which made the bloke I know consider flushing was , the info about phosphorous poisoning occurring in Nederlands from hydro grown veges.Althoug he couldnt find any scientific data pertaining to MJ to take the actual plunge and flush.

Regards

Kash

Thanks Kash, Pipeman... Yes this is a very interesting topic... Everyone seems to flush just cause its what everyone does.

I have 6 clones, 2 clones of 3 strains. I might do a bit of a comparison.

Maybe I will flush half for last 2-3 waterings (Im hand watering) And flush as directions with some of that Ozi Tonic.

Those people who flush, How long do you flush for?

Cheers

Guest Wilderbud

I wont be flushing but will be curing 90% of my harvest properly [i will not be able to wait for a taste test for more than an hour after chopping - guaranteed]. lol

The reason Im not going to flush is because I dont trust rumours and curing does remove bad taste. Ill find out in a few years if flushing is worthwhile or not as I do appreciate nice tasting weed. Ive never said 'damn grower didnt flush' its always 'damn grower has no idea how to cure bud' - I dont know if Im right but I have cured some weed after buying it and it tasted a lot better.

I think a joint or a double chamber bong improves taste BTW although I havent used one for years. Glass bongs are best also - Ill be buying one when I dont have to pay for weed [hopefully I wont drop it like the other 2 - hehe]. If you use glass drop a bit of milk [detergent foams - even the bong cleaning stuff you can buy] in each smoke and dont let it sit - this will keep it clean for ages.

I just spoke to the bloke I know who grows again..he reckons he does flush ..but only for 3-4 days..or when he couldnt be fucked mixing up nutes near the end of the cycle. But he definatly doesnt do a 2 wek cycle of water or use final flush etc.He reckons its all in the drying process...thats where most people fuck up..cause they have no patients.

Regards

Kash

The reason Im not going to flush is because I dont trust rumours and curing does remove bad taste.

They are not rumours, flushing has been the practice for many years. The drying process does not remove the chemicals, all it would do is remove the water from them, leaving the chemicals there in a dehydrated form. Curing does not actually "remove bad taste" as much as it improves the taste from what it was, sort of like like wines being aged to improve them.

Has anyone tried flushing for just 5 days or so? If hydro reacts so quick 5 days should be heaps.

5 days is the minimum that they should flushed, I flush for two weeks which is a little overboard but I like to make sure my pot is clean, I also dry it for 2 weeks and then cure it for at least another two weeks before using.

Guest Wilderbud
Curing does not actually "remove bad taste" as much as it improves the taste from what it was, sort of like like wines being aged to improve them.

I read that curing breaks down the chlorofill into sugars or something and that stops it from having the green taste [i havent read that it takes harshness away though]. Ive never heard any good argument for flushing with plain water and as they all say - you dont flush an outdoor plant and the taste outdoor grown weed supplies is usually desired.

Nitrogen is really the most offensive nutrient to have in abundance in finished buds.. It burns hotter (relative to other nutrients), and therefore harsher..

This makes me think flushing isnt as important as the nutrients you use at the last part of the grow - I think its a valid point and should be tested. Ive read [HighTimes] about people using 0-10-5 during the last month of flowering to improve taste and this complements the quote above. I do believe you cannot 'remove' a chemical from a plant but you can change nutrient levels so I will look into trying this in my next grow but theres no way Id stop feeding a plant for 2 weeks.

I usually want 5-5-5 for growth and 5-10-5 for budding. There is supposedly bud enhancers around that do provide phosphorus (P) and potassium (K) without nitrogen (N) so I will probably just try one of these products to save me from trying to find 0-10-5 organic nutrients [id rather just buy orchid nutrients - heh].

I believe scientific proof before religious proof. lol