Male seeds PLEASE

male seeds are the Seedbanks nightmare, you will not find any commercial seedbank selling ww male seeds

cant you see the Seedbanks are doing their utmost to bring an end to standard seeds by gradually moving all their strains to Femminised seeds only

the last thing Seedbanks want is you and me making our own seeds !!

:peace:

While it may seem counter-intuitive to be seeking male seeds they are where the real value is - if one wants to begin a breeding program.

From what I've heard the pros grow hundreds or even thousands of seeds out in order to find the right male. Sure, fems can be 1 in 1000's as well for that killer pheno... but males are a lot more work/$, with less payoff... The only way to know for certain who the 'stud' plant is to grow them out, document, and make hash from the males with the traits you find most desirable. I think a hundred plants without smoke-able buds would be most growers nightmare. Can you imagine 1000?

I have my own small breeding project on the go, and only netted 600 seeds from it. I have to wonder if any of them will be as good as the parents Cheese x C-99 (which were lost).

BTW Unlike a fem pollinated seed, which is guaranteed to be XX, there's no way that I know of to guarantee male-only.

Best of luck with your breeding program!

Cheers, Bushwhacker

Edited by Bushwhacker

As stated above small pots, i find Neglect and malnourishment will help flip a plant to male... The more stressed you can get it the better. Or as stated above you COULD let the fems overflower and try for seeds that way. Keep in mind even femmed seeds CAN come out male with the right stress, this is my opinion anywho.

As for the cross, you will have to grow out the plants and see. I have no doubt SOME will take the mothers form, some the fathers but the ones you want to work with are the ones that take a bit of each. You will have vigorous plants but won't really be able to gauge if they are equals to their parents without taste testing.

As stated above small pots, i find Neglect and malnourishment will help flip a plant to male... The more stressed you can get it the better. Or as stated above you COULD let the fems overflower and try for seeds that way. Keep in mind even femmed seeds CAN come out male with the right stress, this is my opinion anywho.

As for the cross, you will have to grow out the plants and see. I have no doubt SOME will take the mothers form, some the fathers but the ones you want to work with are the ones that take a bit of each. You will have vigorous plants but won't really be able to gauge if they are equals to their parents without taste testing.

I believe there's a misunderstanding regarding what the o/p wants & why. It would be great if he would clarify his interests.

Re female pollen:

I'll be the first to admit, I'm no expert, but I believe you are mistaken regarding femmed seeds comming out male. IIRC from high school biology, there is no way to get XY chromosomes from an XX x XX parent crossing. Fem x Fem breeding produces XX chromosome plants.

I have also read that there are pitfalls associated with use of "selfed" and reversed females in breeding projects. Each generation expressing a greater tendency to produce hermi flowers. Eventually such crossings becoming so unstable, as to be unreliable for sensimilia crops.

I've read that breeders such as DJ Shorts use over-flowered hermi pollen in their breeding projects - such as the famous Blueberry line... But what I have not seen publicized is how many out-crossings and back-crossings were necessary to stabilize the desirable traits without having a plant which turns hermi when stressed (light, long flower, over-fert, etc.) I suspect this is the real story behind that line.

The seed industry currently ignores or glosses over this information. Giberilic acid, colloidal silver, and other reversing products are touted as every-man breeding agents - just spray X days into flower and... As other posters have commented, the seed industry is protecting its breeding, by keeping the males to themselves.

If you have a great fem plant, and you cannot keep her indefinitely, then fem seeds can produce fairly repeatable results for years to come... But IMO XX x XX seeds are not an effective substitute for XY chromosome seed plants. Furthermore, I believe that DJ Shorts and long-time reputed breeders like him would admit as much, if the seed houses wouldn't lose business over it. Caveat emptor!

:peace:

Thanks to all who have replied.

Bushwhacker, thanks for your input. Great reading.

In fact everyone's words were enlighening indeed.

I didn't want to smoke male plants, just breed with them.

I didn't realise it would be so difficult to purchase male seeds.

I guess, as many of you have already mentioned, that stressing etc may be the only way to go.

It does seem a shame as I know I'll end up with hermies, knowing my luck :)

Oh well, mustn't grumble.

Thanks to all again.