Outdoor flowering techniques?

Hi everyone, now i completed my first ever grow last season and it was awesome to say the least, still surviving off my two plant harvest even now. Although I managed to get a good overall final weight from my harvest I noticed the buds from both of my plants were very leafy compared to the majority of greenery my mates get there hands on. I was just intrigued at why this was, is it because outdoor plants have a natural tendency to be more leafy? or is there some kind of solution to this problem? certain nutrients or flowering techniques? I ask this question because majority of my friends seem to have come to the conclusion that only indoor/hydroponically produced buds can be grown at such a density. Any answers as to why this is are much appreciated.

Peace

F D L

^_^

Hi everyone, now i completed my first ever grow last season and it was awesome to say the least, still surviving off my two plant harvest even now. Although I managed to get a good overall final weight from my harvest I noticed the buds from both of my plants were very leafy compared to the majority of greenery my mates get there hands on. I was just intrigued at why this was, is it because outdoor plants have a natural tendency to be more leafy? or is there some kind of solution to this problem? certain nutrients or flowering techniques? I ask this question because majority of my friends seem to have come to the conclusion that only indoor/hydroponically produced buds can be grown at such a density. Any answers as to why this is are much appreciated.

Peace

F D L

^_^

Hi, and hello to every one, I'm new to this forum. I have just started my 1st ever grow from seed, had more then 100 seeds and only 3 poped up. I have started using seasol liquid fertilzer with the belief it will yeild a bigger bud. This is only my thoughts so it may be alltogether wrong.

anyway good luck with your grow FDL.

Regards

Old Dave

i reckon leafy heads are a genetic trait in some strains

you can have two different strains in exactly same environs one with leafy heads other with very few leaves in the heads

summer outdoors full sunlight will consistently produce buds every bit as dense and hard as hydro provided you got a good strain,

bagseed sometimes has leafy throwbacks too,

i imagine breeders would try to weed out leafy traits though

:peace:

Peace

F D L

^_^

seems to me there could be a few reasons. first is strain as others have suggested. second is how much sunlight did yr plants get? third is growing medium (the soil). fourth is nutrients in the soil. fifth is Ph.

I grow in pots with a one square meter black plastic 'saucer' under them; or dig a sloping trench and line it with black plastic then fill up the trench with goodies (leave one end of the trench open so that the plastic can be let down to drain when it's rainy. lift the plastic up to store excess water when the weather's dry. I always water my plants until they have an inch or so of excess in the saucer or bottom of the trench. if it's very hot three inches of water is ok. my plants use 10 litres of water per day per plant when they're growing good. when they stop using this amount ease off yr watering ... buds will be well developed by then.

I mix one third of manure in (sheep, goat, but watch you don't overdo this) with two thirds decomposed turkey's nest.

yr plant will absorb as much sunlight as it can get ... sunlight is ENERGY.

I water on 'thrive' every second watering and when the buds show I switch to indoor thrive for its extra potash. if I run out of indoor thrive a well grown plant can handle one teaspoon of sulphate of potash per bucket of water every two days with no ill effect. if you don't want to use thrive you can add this potash to liquid fertiliser made out of whatever animal manure yr using. recipe available. ask.

try to get yr Ph around 7. if you use peat moss to fluff yr soil check for increasing acidity as the plant grows. correct this acidity by mixing a spoonful of builders lime into a bucket when you water.

different strains will grow differently as well, maybe the strain you grew was particularly leafy?

-------------------------

old dave, I would think you had crappy seeds to start with, where did u get them?

true, very crappy, got through a friend who got through his friend. live and learn. off one of the seeds that poped up i have managed to make some clones. but after two weeks it looks like only two have started to root, but the others still look kind of healthy, but no visible signs of roots.

Anyway I'm very green to this and am enjoying the learning curve.

My plants were two different strains however both were quite leafy. They were both in large pots with a mix of garden soil, potting mix and perlite. I was using nutrients such as aussie grow magic and monsta buds that I bought online. So what should I be trying to do differently this time? I got alot of people telling me to use potash as it really increases bud growth.

peace

F D L

^_^