72 hours of night before the push to flower.

I have often given my plants 72 hours of night before the switch to 12/12. Not always but mostly.

Just looking at my grow data from 2003 (the last time I grew) it looks like they show sex from 5 to 8 days.

OK.. including the long dark period it is 8 to 11 anyway but I think it does give them a little boost into flowering. I've been generating more data this time round and plugging it into my spreadsheet so I'll try to get as much info as possible this/next year.

Also, I'm going to flush before and starve during the long dark spell this time, building up to full-strength flower nutes by about 200ppm/day (or two). I only just read about the starving part.

So what's your thoughts on this strategy?

Hi Mr S,

I have only used a few different settings over time. I have used a 11/13 regime for 2 weeks of 12/12 to keep on schedual for a 'whie Christmas'. I am a believer in providing just those aspects of growing that the plant needs to keep healthy. I have often let them droop with-drawing water - so they get dehidrated taking less than an hour to stand back up.

I have heard of a "dark period" lengthened but I don't see much advantage in using it. I ask "what is your aim (expectations) ? I have not head this method in some time ... but if it works for you then use it. My opinion rests on the botanical knowledge of how long (length of time) it takes for the message (hormones) about enviromental changes to be transmitted around the various vascular pathways triggering floweing.

If you keep your plans green, healthy and happy the resulting flower (bud) should be premimum produce.

:yinyang:

Nitty.

Cannabis has been growing and evolving for a very long time on our planet. Where on earth would a mj plant get seventy two hours of darkness? There may be some cases of this hapening by accident, but no where near enough to effect the natural evolution of the plant to actually give birth no some magical process that kick starts flowering.

As hydro growers we are trying to emulate nature, while controling certain aspects to get the best out of our plants.

We have often seen crazy idea's thrown around about stressing plants to maxamise yeild or to grow fater nugs, or some other reason.

IMO its all rubish.

Stepping down the day/night cycle is plausable but will lengthen your flowering time.

In the end give the plant as much light as you can. Control the heat. Give them the right amount of nutes at the right ph. Control pest's and your golden.

Just my two cents.

TD

Edited by iatd

Hey brother. We didn't mean to be harsh. If you want to do it, you can. There is no-one saying you can't experiment. Experimentation is a great thing. It allows us to learn from our mistakes, and every now and again we find something special.

In the end. Giving 72 hours of darkness before going to 12/12, will not hurt your yield, or stress your plants in any extreme way.

We are merely stating it is not optimal.

TD

Edited by iatd